• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dalhquist DQ-10 NE PA

sinnerboy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A pair of DQ-10's on my local FB marketplace, $295. Woofer surrounds recently replaced, working condition but no stands. Seems like a good price, I just don't need speakers right now (previous owner of some DQ10's and they are magnificent!). Located in the Scranton area
Dahlquist DQ10
 
Register to hide this ad
That is a great price. If properly refoamed, all these need would be a nice 80µF film cap to replace that original 'lytic cap to the midwoofer. Then some stands, dimensions of the originals are on the .io site or the legs that came with the speakers, found on the bay. I'd consider them but I'm already working on a pair of hot rodded DQ-10s.
 
So I am interested in the Dahlquist DQ-10s and a pair have come up locally. What is a good current price that these should be going for these days?

They don't come with the original legs, and the built stands are simple flat triangles made from 2"x 6" boards. I believe the drivers are all good and the crossovers look original so no capacitors have been changed. I believe the grill cloth is in good condition as are the cabinets for the bass section.

Thanks Don
 
It depends upon which model of the DQ 10 early ones had all electrolytic capacitors later ones had the mylar capacitors and one electrolytic, and then the mirror image speakers after that and the stands being non-standard it would be up to you if that is something you would consider a plus.

they made 25,000 pair of the speakers so they’re 50,000 of them out there. This gives you an idea of the serial numbers but in good shape they’re probably worth 300 US and with the later improvements may be up to 500 with stock stands would be a fair price. The serial number sticker on the early models was up on the tweeter plate on a small piece of paper and the electrolytic capacitors were replaced at about 22,000 and the mirror imaging started at about 29,000 for the serial numbers.

I don’t know about pricing where you are but I found DQ-10s listed anywhere from US$200-$700 for a pair. You might expect to have to refoam the Advent type woofers and replace the 80 µF cap that goes to the midwoofer if you have the mylar caps in the speakers, because that cap is an electrolytic. A full recap if all electrolytic.
 
It depends upon which model of the DQ 10 early ones had all electrolytic capacitors later ones had the mylar capacitors and one electrolytic, and then the mirror image speakers after that and the stands being non-standard it would be up to you if that is something you would consider a plus.

they made 25,000 pair of the speakers so they’re 50,000 of them out there. This gives you an idea of the serial numbers but in good shape they’re probably worth 300 US and with the later improvements may be up to 500 with stock stands would be a fair price. The serial number sticker on the early models was up on the tweeter plate on a small piece of paper and the electrolytic capacitors were replaced at about 22,000 and the mirror imaging started at about 29,000 for the serial numbers.

I don’t know about pricing where you are but I found DQ-10s listed anywhere from US$200-$700 for a pair. You might expect to have to refoam the Advent type woofers and replace the 80 µF cap that goes to the midwoofer if you have the mylar caps in the speakers, because that cap is an electrolytic. A full recap if all electrolytic.
Hi Blue Shadow,

Thanks for your reply. So the DQ-10 pair I'm currently looking at appears to have the mylar capacitors (yellow) except for one blue electrolytic cap, and they appear to be mirror imaged so I suspect they are the later version. As mentioned they don't have factory stands so I would think I would ask for a price reduction for lack of stands. I will check for the serial numbers as per your info.

Currently the seller is asking for about $450 USD or best offer, if the woofers have been re-foamed then the price might be fair or it maybe a little high depending on the condition of the grill cloths and the cabinets.

I will see if he/she will deal a little on the price. I think it might be worth the effort to try and get these speakers.

Thanks

Don
 
Last edited:
Latest versions have numbers in red on input cup.
Mirrored have Left and Right speakers ided with a sticker and probably another one for serial number if not the latest, all on the Masonite. These labels can fall off.

They came with three 3” legs and stands were optional. If the stands are ok and all drivers work, listen to each through a paper towel tube and the woofers are fixed, not replaced with off brand talk em down and take em home. Note: you will not hear the piezo tweeter as it only receives 12000Hz and up. The two large #3 philips head screws on each side of the grille and th many small screws in the back grille allow removal of the main grille to get inside.
 
Latest versions have numbers in red on input cup.
Mirrored have Left and Right speakers ided with a sticker and probably another one for serial number if not the latest, all on the Masonite. These labels can fall off.

They came with three 3” legs and stands were optional. If the stands are ok and all drivers work, listen to each through a paper towel tube and the woofers are fixed, not replaced with off brand talk em down and take em home. Note: you will not hear the piezo tweeter as it only receives 12000Hz and up. The two large #3 philips head screws on each side of the grille and th many small screws in the back grille allow removal of the main grille to get inside.
Hi Blue Shadow,

So the following is an update on the situation on the pair of DQ-10 that I am considering. The 3" legs are missing and the stands provided are custom made but do not follow the recommended stand plans as manufactured by Dahlquist.

I will need to check the function of each driver but I suspect they are OK as a system audition has been offered. The seller has stated that the woofers have been re-foamed.

It also appears the front main grilles are in good shape along with the cabinets. Unfortunately, the back grilles are missing so I will need to be able to source those or have new ones made up. Are the dimensions and details of the back grilles available anywhere? I see photos of them, but I will need more details in order to have them made or replicated.

Looks like the seller is looking for $375 USD for the pair. Would you buy these or would you bypass them?

Thanks

Don
 
They do not need back grilles. Mine are not on the speaker now for ten years.

My bespoke stands are approximately 30% larger in each dimension from the diagrams for oem stands. I wanted them that size. If the stands are acceptable to you, without OCD, must be exact originals being necessary, just allow em.

That is a fair price. If you want some DQ-10s and are ok with the price, take the funds with you and after the audition if you want them offer something less but pay if he won’t negotiate. You are there with the money, he might take 325 or 350.

They are iconic speakers and if continuation DQ-10s were available like Klipsch Heritage line these might change hands closer to $1000. But there is no modern model selling for 4 times what these sold for new, they are large making the buyers scarce both keeping prices low.

It really is what are they worth to you, sound quality is worth more than the ask.
 
$375 is a lot for a pair without stands and missing the back grills. There's a pair around here with original stands and no missing pieces that's not selling at $300.
 
$375 is a lot for a pair without stands and missing the back grills. There's a pair around here with original stands and no missing pieces that's not selling at $300.
Hi RossW, thanks for advising but around my parts this is first pair I have seen advertised in over a year. I went ahead and bought them, the stands I can get made given that Blue Shadow can provide the dimensions. So far they are pretty impressive and as has been noted the back grilles are not necessary. The seller has had these for over twenty years and they are in pretty good shape. Will probably change the 80 uf capacitor and leave the rest alone as the woofers have been re-foamed within the last year.

I guess $75 is worth it to me as a collector to not have to travel or search hard and buy without a good audition.

They sound good with no damage so I am a happy camper.

IMG_0116.jpeg
 
It’s looks like I have bought a late version set as they have the Mylar capacitors except the one blue 80 Uf capacitor and they are mirror imaged and they have the red serial numbers in the input cups. So I think I might replace the one 80 uf capacitor and either get some stands made or get some nice correct size and height MCM end tables to use as stands for less money!

I am going to call this a SCORE!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 15
Very late production with numbers in the 49,000 range and consecutive, don’t see that all the time.

Listen on the given stand, then at 10” up like a milk crate, then on sone dining room chairs at about 18” and see what you think. Then adjust to the height you want.
 
Very late production with numbers in the 49,000 range and consecutive, don’t see that all the time.

Listen on the given stand, then at 10” up like a milk crate, then on sone dining room chairs at about 18” and see what you think. Then adjust to the height you want.
Hi Blue Shadow,

Thanks for your advice on testing the heights of stands. Currently the low stands don’t sound bad, but I will try the 10” and 18” heights as per your recommendation and decide which I like the best before committing to something that will be more permanent.
 
Very late production with numbers in the 49,000 range and consecutive, don’t see that all the time.

Listen on the given stand, then at 10” up like a milk crate, then on sone dining room chairs at about 18” and see what you think. Then adjust to the height you want.
I think that the 18” stands might be the way I will go as that will put the tweeters at the same height as my KEF 107 tweeters. I suspect there was a reason that KEF made their reference speakers the height they are at. We will see…
 
My stands are 18” roughly and Dave says the speakers are now Sofa Height, correct for listening. My next, 3rd pair have homemade monolith stands with warped top panel and not quite thick enough other pieces. I will repair/replace and probably stick with monoliths using my brother’s wood shop. It will de a while, I have other projects in front of these speakers which also need a new 80 cap and mirror imaging.
 
Post your impressions of these two speakers when you have a chance to compare them.
Hi Blue Shadow,

So I have been listening to the Dahlquist Dq-10 at the 18” height (chairs) and the high frequencies are in line and are on par with the Kef 107.

With that being said the low frequency bass response of the KEF stands out. At this time I am using a Def Tech Supercube 6000 to support the Dahlquist dq-10 in the low frequencies.

Over time I might try to source a pair of good used powered subwoofers (REL, Rythmik, SVS, or Def Tech) to compliment the Dq-10, in that case I would likely say the Dahlquist could hold there own with the Kef 107 given the extra help in the low frequencies.
 
I would likely say the Dahlquist could hold there own
15 years ago the DQ-10s were not shunned by the high end dealer near me. Said they were still respected. Good enough for me but I sure did like the middle of the line Magico, just $36,000 a pair. Glad the 10s sound good. I've got a few subs to use and I'm happy with the results.
 
15 years ago the DQ-10s were not shunned by the high end dealer near me. Said they were still respected. Good enough for me but I sure did like the middle of the line Magico, just $36,000 a pair. Glad the 10s sound good. I've got a few subs to use and I'm happy with the results.
Well at least to my old ears (58 years) the Dahlquist Dq-10 definitely have a place in history. Saul Marantz and Jon Dahlquist definitely had a good formula and even given the limitations of the technology of what was available at the time the speakers can hold their head up high compared to speakers like the KEF 107 and my much more recent Golden Ear Triton 3+ with their 800 watt subwoofers.

I think the Dahlquist Dq-10 will definitely surprise a lot of audiophiles if they have a pair of good fast powered subs backing them up. After all they were to meant to be sold with the Dahlquist sub and crossover as the full system. I have never heard a pair of Magico but I have heard pairs of Infinity RS (not the reference V) but close enough. The Dahlquist have enough presence to be proud of what they are especially given their cost.
 
Back
Top Bottom