• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Damaged tonearm bearings or not?

chebandoneon

New Member
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used Thorens TD 166 mk II, seems like it is in decent condition overall and sounds really nice, however there is some weird behavior with the tonearm horizontal movement.

When I remove it from the rest lock it feels a bit stiff, then I play with it a bit and it's motion becomes smooth again. I kinda have to do this everytime because if I don't and try to play a vinyl while it's stiff I noticed that it may get stuck in a loop during playback.

Is this something to worry about? I read that it could be a sign of damaged bearings. I don't mind doing this little "ritual" everytime, but could this issue worsen over time or even pose a threat to the records?

Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
There is a chance that the horizontal bearing just needs some adjustment. Remove the top cap and loosen the top bearing just a little bit until the tonearm moves freely. Of course, if the bearings are damaged this won’t help much.
Thanks for the reply, I already did that, and it does make the tonearm movement more loose, however it still feels stiff around the ends of the horizontal range of motion.
 
Can you take out the upper cone for closer inspection? The lower bearing is less susceptible for damage due to it’s size. The wires do not interfere with lateral movenent?
 
Back
Top Bottom