• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

dante's made in holland/belgium?

Jcricket

not someday, but today
Subscriber
Okay folks, Who knows anything about these? I have a set of Dante floor speakers. One tweeter may be out. I will pull it and desolder it tomorrow to check. When I pulled it today it said made in Holland on the back. The mid said made in belgium. Didn't check the woofer. It appears that the tweeter may be able to have the diaphragm replaced. Anyone recognize the diaphragm/tweeters?

They seem like pretty decent speakers. Real wood veneer and fairly heavy.
 

Attachments

  • P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010033.jpg
    P1010033.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010035.jpg
    P1010035.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 28
Register to hide this ad
I had some philips tweeters that were made in Belgium, and Philips is a Dutch company... So maybe they're Philips components?
 
The mids and tweeters are standard model drivers from Phillips / Norelco. The tweeters are the earlier polycarbonate dome models which tend to be a bit "hot". Later Phillips came out with similar looking black fabric dome tweeters that some users here report are more user friendly. You need to pull the tweeter to see what the impedance is, or measure the good one. Checking Fleabay for "Phillips tweeter" or searching the "Vintage Tweeter" listing may locate a suitable replacement. These tweeters were used by many different US based speaker manufacturers back in the 1970's as well as European models.

Its highly likely that some of the folks around here have extra tweeters like this laying around in their driver collections. The key is just getting them to view this thread so they can help you out! Good luck.
 
Nice speakers! Philips did do some good stuff back then.

I think the earlier and much more common Philips was the AD0160 polycarb dome, which doesn't have a phase plug. Yours have the AD0162 mylar dome, which was used in modified form in a few McIntosh speakers. They sound fairly similar although as Stickman said, I've found the AD0160 to be less spitty. Since many speakers used them, they're pretty easy to find.

On the back it'll say the model number and then T8 or T4 - that number is the impedance. 4 ohm models are pretty rare.

It's a good idea to check the xover and wiring first though.

The midrange is either an AD5060 or AD5062, the difference being a higher power handling in the 5060. A decent midrange unit used quite a bit by Snell.

No idea about the woofers...they don't look familiar to me. Fancy pulling one out and taking photos?
 
There was an American speaker company called DANTE, out of Minnesota.
Everyone, used Phillip-manufactured dome tweeters back in the 70's.


Steve
 
It would be interesting to know if those woofers are the stock units as the design seems much more recent/modern than the mids and tweets. I wonder if the original woofers were ditched when the foam surrounds disintegrated and at some point these were installed as replacements? Sure would be nice to see a picture of an original unit of this model speaker.
 
There was an American speaker company called DANTE, out of Minnesota.
Everyone, used Phillip-manufactured dome tweeters back in the 70's.


Steve

This company, Dante, is one and the same. It says minneapolis or St PAul on the back(I don't remeber now). I was suprised when I saw the holland/belgium marks on the drivers. I'll pull them shortly, do sopme tests, and post more detailed pics.
MArk
 
Well, the tweeter is dead. I checked it and it reads open with the meter.
I took some photos of the woofer too. I have a stron felling these may not be original. Made in taiwan. ANyone know what they are? Sorry for the poor photos.
 

Attachments

  • P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010039.jpg
    P1010039.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom