• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Daughter Discovered My Stereo

RWFE

Well-Known Member
My daughter turned 8 yesterday. She has never had much interest in my stereo other than to ask me periodically why I play records all the time. Well for her birthday she got a "kids bop 14" cd and today she discovered my stereo. I am afraid things will never be the same again....
 
Register to hide this ad
Life WILL never be the same, you got that right. Who knows, you may find you really like the Kids Bop 14, and you'll find yourself searching out volumes 1-13.
 
My 8 year old requested the Beatle's White Album recently. We play music and dance for hours at a time. She now points to the vinyl cabinet and says "That's the good stuff". Much , much joy is coming your way. Mine will be 9 next month and it just keeps getting better.
 
My 6 year old, for the last 2 years, has really enjoyed a couple classical records (she made up words to New World Symphony), Beatles, and oddly some Pink Floyd. But a month or so ago I put on a Barry Louis Polisar record called "Naughty Songs for Girls and Boys" - that I got for christmas 30 years ago. Instant hit. Now it's every Friday night, scratches and all.
I gotta think it's more enjoyable for me than Kids Bop, but doubt it would help you any.
 
My 12 year old girl has her own Pioneer SX-780 in her bedroom. I bought it toasted for a song. Fixed it up and gave it to her for Christmas. It's immaculate.

She didn't really think too much of it until I also gave her a cable to hook her iPod into it. With a couple of nice little bookshelf speakers as part of the deal - well, she never turns it off now.

And I've been teaching her guitar. That's fun. It's all good until the hormone saturated teenage boys steal her away from me. Not looking forward to losing her.
 
And I've been teaching her guitar. That's fun. It's all good until the hormone saturated teenage boys steal her away from me. Not looking forward to losing her.

Have you considered firearms as a second hobby...?
 
Can't get them started young enough to enjoy music, IMO. My kids have always had an interest in music, not so much the gear, but the listening.
Tomorrow, I go with the Daughter to pick up another turntable. She is ordering and picking up vinyl wherever she can find it. I wasn't aware of it, but she states that there is a resurgence of vinyl with the college-age crowd. She works at KUOM and says they are spinning discs down there, as well.
There are a lot worse things for kids to be interested in and you should be rewarded in the future when she tells the young man next to her that she wants to play music instead of other pursuits. Not that you can stop the process of attraction, though.
 
My daughter has always been interested in music, she was singing before she was talking. She fell head over heels for the Beatles when she was about 2 or 3. (Yes!)

Her Beatles fandom started when she saw the film "Yellow Submarine" for the first time, and it blew her mind when she saw the "real" Beatles at the very end of the film.

I remember one night we were driving somewhere and the "1" CD was playing. You could see a physical change come over her when she got the one-two sonic punch of "She Loves You" immediately followed by "I Want To Hold Your Hand" for the first time. She was practically bouncing off the ceiling! (It's kinda amazing how much impact this music has on new listeners all these years later.)

Little kids latch onto some interesting music. When she was around 4, she was infatuated with 1920s Duke Ellington and 1930s Raymond Scott. ("Play the Duke, Daddy!") Admittedly, that music IS rather cartoon-y.

This past summer, when she was 8, she started showing a lot of interest in RECORDS. She would watch me go through the ritual of cleaning them and placing the tonearm down, and would see the record spinning and making sound.

I have a little blue plastic Audio Technica portable rekkid player that I bought in Japan, which I take to record shows and flea markets. I decided it would be a good first record player for my little girl. I went through my collection and pulled out some doubles, mostly Beatles and other '60s pop (fun stuff like "Surfin' Bird") , and told her it was now hers. I explained to her about the different speeds, how to handle a record by the edges only, how to place a tonearm carefully, etc. She gave me her undivided attention.

She spent an entire Sunday afternoon at the dining table, engrossed in the music, playing her records over and over and over. She told me that records are cooler than CDs, because there's more things "to do." She loves blasting her 45s for her friends when they come over.

The first time I took her record shopping was a lot of fun. First we went to the Beatles section, and we found her a nice copy of the 2-LP "Rock'N'Roll Music," which was a good bang-for-the-buck at $10. Then I took her to the dollar bins and told her to see if anything looked good to her. It was interesting to see what she picked out. She would hold something up and say, "Is this a good one, Daddy?" We actually found some good stuff in the $1 bins, ie: a box set of '50s rock, some '70s McCartney, Moody Blues, etc.

Lately she had been looking lustfully at my stereo, especially my SL-1200. I decided it was TIME. I had some stereo gear that I wasn't using, so on her 9th birthday last month, she woke up to find in her room an Audio Technica AT-PL120, '89 Pioneer SX-1300 receiver, and a pair of Aiwa bookshelf speakers. On the turntable was a record that she had been asking for for weeks - a US pressing of the "Help!" soundtrack, which I found on eBay. She is SO PROUD of her "grown up" stereo!

(A few weeks later I scored a matching late '80s Pioneer CD player for free on CL, which I gave to her too.)

She has gotten interested in classical music, a genre I know little about, and she and I are learning about it together (courtesy of the local thrift stores).

It's so much fun sharing this with her. I like to point at my 1000s of records and tell her, "Someday this will all be yours." Now I know it will be in good hands when I'm gone.
 
I have posted numerous times about my daughter's love of music, and her system. One of the greatest things you can do for your children is instill in them a love of music.

(It's kinda amazing how much impact this music has on new listeners all these years later.)
No more amazing than it was when the music was new... if you've never heard it before, it still is (new).
 
My 7 year old son has his own favorites. They are REM, Green Day, and Squeeze. I bought him an Aiwa all in one stereo on Craigslist for $25. I was 12 before I got my own stereo.
 
I had my own Kid's record player around five myself. She has had a cd player and listened to music since she was born practically, and has taken ballet, tap and Jazz since she was two years old. This is the first time, though, that she has ever shown any interest in my gear.
 
I appreciate the fact my 7 and 8 year old stepsons like music. I also DESPISE the Camp Rock CD they have. And have you ever driven a 90-mile-trip with someone in the back singing the theme song to "Ben 10"?

You've never lived.


Oh well. The boys still streak (not naked) thru my listening room with their hands clapped over their ears whilst I rock out on occasion.


:)


Matt
 
My 8 year old requested the Beatle's White Album recently. We play music and dance for hours at a time.

Reminds me of a while back while groovin' to some music and eventually putting on the White Album. Almost immediately my 3 year old granddaughter appeared from behind my chair (I didn't know she was in the room) and started dancing. She stopped when the music did between tracks and started up again with the next song. For the whole album. But only THAT album.

After decades of ignorance it took a 3 year old to make me realize the White Album is really dance music.
 
My 4 year old nephew knows how to turn my stereos on and turn them up or down. He also knows how to hook up his PS2 to a TV with the RCA cables. When he gets a bit older and I can trust him with stereo gear I might give him something. It'll be a while though.
 
Back
Top Bottom