• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DAX 120-120 watt amp?

gerjamr

Member
I'm not sure if this ? is in the right spot so.... I have this amp and was wondering if it could be modded for home audio, I thought the heat sync looked pretty cool. I would have to find one more to have two mono blocks. What do you think?If it would work with out too much trouble, I'd like to change the layout and strip it down to just the iron , heat sync and on/off switch and maybe a meter of some sort. I don't have a schematic, not sure how to get one.
Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks. Dan
 

Attachments

  • dax 120-120amp.JPG
    dax 120-120amp.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 27
Register to hide this ad
For some reason the thumbnail image isn't linking to a larger one. Try uploading a larger image or use an image hosting service like Imgur.

Manual here - http://www.epanorama.net/sff/Audio/...DAX60-DAX120_Power_Amplifier_Installation.pdf

Better pic here - http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/...909/03/1_21ee719488f174d20b57c54b6df158af.jpg

Its just a single channel 70v-25v residential amp. I looked at a similar model on ebay and you *might* be able to use one of those transformer taps for 8 ohm non-transformer coupled speakers but the sound quality wouldn't be very good IME.

For decent audio some residential amps (like a pair of Dukanes I have) allow you to bypass the output transformer. Please note the output transformers used in residential 70v amps is a completely different beast than the output transformers used in tube amps and some solid state amps like the McIntosh 2100.

FYI there is one on ebay atm but imho its overpriced.
 
Thanks for the reply Gonzo! Sounds like a no-go, I got this amp for nothing and thought if I could find a second one, thought they'd would make a nice looking pair of monoblocks. Oh well, on to the next project.

Thanks for the info.

Dan
 
You're welcome!

Most residental amps don't get much love for the above reasons. While some have managed to adapt them for hifi, its usually not simple and the sound quality won't improve without a lot of work.

I'd toss it on eb-ay for a little cash unless you need a paperweight/doorstop/boat anchor.
 
Back
Top Bottom