• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dayton Audio Classic B65 bookshelf speakers

Register to hide this ad
They arrived a few hours ago. Here are a couple of pictures. There is indeed a real crossover with two caps and two chokes.

It’s no surprise that the veneer is vinyl, but it’s of decent quality. Or at least I’ve seen worse.

I’ll let them play for a while before making any judgment about the sound quality.

IMG_5046.jpeg

IMG_5049.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I listened to these for about an hour last night. They're definitely a step up from the B652 and B652-AIR, but I haven't done an A/B comparison, so it's hard to say just how much. From my short listening session, the mids are surprisingly good. They seem to do especially well with acoustic, vocals, classical and blues/jazz. There is some bass there, but I haven't tried any bass-heavy tracks yet.

For somebody on a tight budget who wants something that sounds decent and looks a bit better than a plain black box, I can definitely recommend them. Will try to do a deeper evaluation over the weekend.
 
Picked up a pair of the B40. They are being used in my garage with a Sherwood S7050. Look cool and in my opinion, well made. No cheap plastic spring loaded terminals.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20240624_184758.jpg
    IMG_20240624_184758.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 44
I've had a pair of the Classic B65's for several weeks now and have noticed several things:
-- The covering on the "wood" model seems to be veneer, not vinyl.
-- While they are advertised to go as low as 55 Hz, in running test tones, I found their response at 80 Hz to be quite similar to that at 1 kHz but at 63 Hz, output was minimal. These things need a sub.
-- Other than little-to-no bass, they don't sound bad and on a sweep tone, I could not discern any major resonance from the admittedly light build of the speakers. Mids and highs are fairly nice.
-- I'd say for $70, they're great for a dorm or bedroom system or for the workshop.
 
Interested in your take, now that you've had them for a bit.

I still like really mine. The biggest weakness is that they can sound a bit harsh on certain tracks if played at high volumes. I suppose this is true with most speakers, but my more expensive speakers can get a bit louder before sounding distorted.

The B65s don't go super low, but placement on or near walls helps a bit. I'm guessing they would measure terribly by the folks at ASR but it would be nice if somebody with proper tools would take a look.
 
Picked some up for one of my offices...

First thought, lacking bass compared to the Klipsch they replaced.

20231219_092338.jpg
 
I listened to these for about an hour last night. They're definitely a step up from the B652 and B652-AIR, but I haven't done an A/B comparison, so it's hard to say just how much. From my short listening session, the mids are surprisingly good. They seem to do especially well with acoustic, vocals, classical and blues/jazz. There is some bass there, but I haven't tried any bass-heavy tracks yet.

For somebody on a tight budget who wants something that sounds decent and looks a bit better than a plain black box, I can definitely recommend them. Will try to do a deeper evaluation over the weekend.
Have a set of Dayton outdoor speakers for 5 yrs still sound good !
 
Some measurements of the B65 in an anechoic chamber can be found here.

Here's a main graph...

1727805662502.png
Top curve: on-axis response
Middle curve: 15 degrees off-axis response
Bottom curve: 30 degrees off-axis response
 
I am guilty of owning a set of B40, B65 and T65. The B40 are on loan to my daughter. The B65 (in my garage) were a open box at $25 and the T65 were open box at $93.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom