• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dayton HTA200 - First impressions...

axismatt

New Member
I mentioned in another thread that I had ordered this unit as I strive to build an inexpensive yet nice sounding 2 channel stereo. I thought I would let y'all know what my first impressions are in case there are others looking at this unit. Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

I received the Dayton HTA200 last night and spent about six minutes this morning setting it up. It was that easy, but it is also quite basic. It came very well packaged... double boxed with proper polyethylene foam endcaps, not EPS (cheap ice chest beaded foam) that doesn't offer much cushion. The polyethylene is ideal for packaging sensitive electronics. It was bagged and came with a power cord, antenna, and instructions. Very straightforward.

I connected my PSB Stratos Mini speakers on stands to the unit, plugged it in, and powered it up. The tubes light up immediately and you're ready to chose an input. Being in a hurry, I chose bluetooth and it connected to my phone in less than 3 seconds... the fastest I have ever had BT connectivity. I left the bass and treble settings at 12 o'clock, turned the volume to 12 o'clock, and reduced the volume on my phone before playing the first song.

My first choice was a go-to song that always sounds good... Dorina by DADA on their first album called Puzzles from 1992. Please listen to it and tell me what you think. As I increased the volume on the phone, the sound came up smooth and clean, similar but better than the cheap Pyle I had been using. I immediately noticed that the mids and highs were more pronounced and more separate, and the bass was just as full of chest as the Pyle offered. So far so good and I continued to bump the phone volume up until I was one notch below max (my phone has a weird gain at max where it almost acts like a loudness button, so I rarely listed at max). The volume was quite loud, but incredibly clean, and the VU meters were bouncing just barely into the red, so I grabbed the remote and tapped the volume up until the light on the knob was at about 2 o'clock. It was really freaking loud now, uncomfortably so, but perfectly clear and clean. Not a bit of strain, no distortion... it had plenty more to give and the speakers seemed to love it. At 3 o'clock on the volume, I tapped out. There's never going to be a need for that level of volume in my house, but neither the receiver nor the speakers flinched... This little sumbitch has some horsepower!

I returned the volume knob to 12 o'clock and reduced the phone volume to a nice, spicy level for spirited but pleasurable listening, and started bouncing around through a variety of songs. I maybe spent an hour, listening to the first half of a few dozen songs (because I am impatient) and tried classic rock, punk, country, metal, big band, and some unplugged and vocal stuff. The PSB Stratos Mini speakers are big for a bookshelf and small for a floor stander, and are 4 ohm. They don't sound particularly great when listening to metal at exceedingly high volumes, but they sound really good at slightly lower volumes. This might also be attributed to the room itself. Anyway...

Next, I plugged in my Retrolife turntable. Before anyone starts laughing, this is a very decent turntable for the price. It's belt driven, comes with an Audio Technica cartridge, and has proven to put out respectable SQ for $180. Remember, I'm trying to be budget minded here, while taking advantage of high end 4 ohm speakers. There's plenty of time to upgrade. The phono pre-amp in the HTA200 must not have the ooomph of a high end external pre-amp, as I had to turn up the volume a fair amount more to get close to the ear bleeding loudness of songs played via BT, But one thing is for sure, the sound is very very nice. Much cleaner and more clear and accurate than the Pyle I was using with a cheap pre-amp. I don't always play things loud... I just like to push limits and see what can be had. I played some Alice Cooper, Foo Fighters, Linda Ronstadt, Incubus, and Audioslave. All sounded much improved over the previous set up.

I have two powered sub woofer options (Infinity and Klipsch) that I will be trying out, which I think will really add some fullness to an already impressive bass sound from the PSBs alone.

The HTA200 has a digital audio input , so I plan to run a cable to my TV and see how some of the Midnight Special videos sound. If you haven't had the pleasure, look up Midnight Special on YouTube... for you younger guys and gals, it was a weekly music show back in the 70's, and the sound quality on these videos is surprisingly good... like as good or better than studio recordings. Not sure how they did it, but treat yourself and thank me later.

So, first impression is that the HTA200 is a bitchin little tube/SS hybrid unit that makes more volume than you can use, and sounds outstanding at all levels tested. It is perfectly convenient and looks cool. For $350, it is half the price of a Cambridge or Outlaw unit with similar specs. I have no doubts that it could really drive some hefty floor speakers. As I add subs, TV, etc, I will come back and amend this thread.

Matt
 
Register to hide this ad
Okay, after a few days of listening to the HTA200 without a sub woofer, I started with the Klipsch Series II SW-8. I've had it for just over 30 years... it's not a top of the line sub, but it has served me well. I immediately found that, because the PSB speakers offer such respectable bass on their own, the addition of the sub made the bass way too thick when left at settings from when I used some small Polk bookshelf speakers. I turned the volume down on the sub, and reduced the filter to 60 Hz. Sweet spot! I also pulled it away from the wall about a foot which eliminated a rattle I was getting from the front wall. My room is smallish, just 11' x 15', with no dressing yet, so I don't have the luxury of positioning things ideally, but I am able to get the speakers away from the front wall a bit, and this helps.

I led off with Dorina to gauge the difference. It was better with the sub, but not glaringly so. I figure this just speaks to the quality of the PSB Stratos Minis. I played many of the same songs I had listened for the past few days to see if my ears liked the addition of the sub. Everything improved, and keeping the volume of the sub down a bit and the filter lower meant it didn't overwhelm. It was impressive and made me feel confident in my purchase of the HTA200.

I decided to play some music I drowned in back in the 80's and early 90's. I started by listening to both Jellyfish albums, and WOW ! ! ! I heard things I never had, and some sounds seemed emphasized in the most pleasing way. I moved on to Oingo Boingo, which didn't disappoint. Then Whammy by the B-52s. Awesome! I plowed through everything by DEVO up to Shout, which was the beginning of the end for them. It all sounded so good. Finally, I played some scores. Namely, John William's theme from 1941 and Raiders... and Danny Elfman's score from Midnight Run. Freaking blissful! As I type this, Soup by Blind Melon is playing, and it has never sounded so good.

I will give the Klipsch a week before trying the Infinity sub given to me when I picked up the PSBs. If there is any difference, I will make note here, but I doubt any change will be make it more than a coin flip to choose which one I stick with.

So far, as this was supposed to be a review of the HTA200, and I am totally pleased. I mentioned speaker pairings and recordings heard because they are a big part of why something sounds good or not. I think I am now a believer in what many have stated... that if you are looking to set up a nice 2 channel system, start with spending the bulk of your budget on the best speakers you can get your hands on. New, used, who cares... but make this your focus first. The HTA200 shows that a budget receiver can brilliantly compliment high end speakers, while a $2500 Denon would be wasted on a pair of shitty chip board floor standers.
 

Attachments

  • 20231031_081431.jpg
    20231031_081431.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 20231031_081442.jpg
    20231031_081442.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 20231031_081506.jpg
    20231031_081506.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20231031_081525.jpg
    20231031_081525.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 116
I had this same tube amp for a short time. Ran my JBL 590's so well that I didnt even need the sub for music. I didnt keep it but that was only because I talked myself into something else (I wish I didnt honestly) and I sent the HTA200 back.

It sounded great. I listened to it for several hours the day I got it. could have spent many more doing same.

The only drawback to it was the remote. How do you say "crap" ...its crap. its plastic but it feels like a childs pretend remote and doesnt work very well.

but I am pretty sure I will but it again soon. yes it is probably some cheap junk chip amp but doesnt matter, it comes with warranty.

I just hope they imp[rove the remote soon
 
I had this same tube amp for a short time. Ran my JBL 590's so well that I didnt even need the sub for music. I didnt keep it but that was only because I talked myself into something else (I wish I didnt honestly) and I sent the HTA200 back.

It sounded great. I listened to it for several hours the day I got it. could have spent many more doing same.

The only drawback to it was the remote. How do you say "crap" ...its crap. its plastic but it feels like a childs pretend remote and doesnt work very well.

but I am pretty sure I will but it again soon. yes it is probably some cheap junk chip amp but doesnt matter, it comes with warranty.

I just hope they imp[rove the remote soon


100% agree that the remote is garbage. However, because I mostly listen to Spotify through my phone, I set the volume on the HTA200 at 12 o'clock, which seems to be the ideal location for how I adjust volume on my phone, and then control it all from my phone.

I would love to know what you bought instead. As pleased as I am with the HTA200, I am always looking for reasonably priced improvement.

And in keeping with this review thread... I finally got a TV hooked up, with audio through an optical cable. Quick, simple and clean. The sound from movies and high quality music videos is just as great as from Spotify. Honestly, I doubt I would appreciate a surround system any more than the SQ from this 2 channel set up. It really is quite impressive for the price.
 
I would love to know what you bought instead. As pleased as I am with the HTA200, I am always looking for reasonably priced improvement.

I bought a class D integrated amp. I wish I didnt because for the money it cost me it was not worth it. I am actually now more interested in some other tiny amps like the Fosi V3 .
 
I mentioned in another thread that I had ordered this unit as I strive to build an inexpensive yet nice sounding 2 channel stereo. I thought I would let y'all know what my first impressions are in case there are others looking at this unit. Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

I received the Dayton HTA200 last night and spent about six minutes this morning setting it up. It was that easy, but it is also quite basic. It came very well packaged... double boxed with proper polyethylene foam endcaps, not EPS (cheap ice chest beaded foam) that doesn't offer much cushion. The polyethylene is ideal for packaging sensitive electronics. It was bagged and came with a power cord, antenna, and instructions. Very straightforward.

I connected my PSB Stratos Mini speakers on stands to the unit, plugged it in, and powered it up. The tubes light up immediately and you're ready to chose an input. Being in a hurry, I chose bluetooth and it connected to my phone in less than 3 seconds... the fastest I have ever had BT connectivity. I left the bass and treble settings at 12 o'clock, turned the volume to 12 o'clock, and reduced the volume on my phone before playing the first song.

My first choice was a go-to song that always sounds good... Dorina by DADA on their first album called Puzzles from 1992. Please listen to it and tell me what you think. As I increased the volume on the phone, the sound came up smooth and clean, similar but better than the cheap Pyle I had been using. I immediately noticed that the mids and highs were more pronounced and more separate, and the bass was just as full of chest as the Pyle offered. So far so good and I continued to bump the phone volume up until I was one notch below max (my phone has a weird gain at max where it almost acts like a loudness button, so I rarely listed at max). The volume was quite loud, but incredibly clean, and the VU meters were bouncing just barely into the red, so I grabbed the remote and tapped the volume up until the light on the knob was at about 2 o'clock. It was really freaking loud now, uncomfortably so, but perfectly clear and clean. Not a bit of strain, no distortion... it had plenty more to give and the speakers seemed to love it. At 3 o'clock on the volume, I tapped out. There's never going to be a need for that level of volume in my house, but neither the receiver nor the speakers flinched... This little sumbitch has some horsepower!

I returned the volume knob to 12 o'clock and reduced the phone volume to a nice, spicy level for spirited but pleasurable listening, and started bouncing around through a variety of songs. I maybe spent an hour, listening to the first half of a few dozen songs (because I am impatient) and tried classic rock, punk, country, metal, big band, and some unplugged and vocal stuff. The PSB Stratos Mini speakers are big for a bookshelf and small for a floor stander, and are 4 ohm. They don't sound particularly great when listening to metal at exceedingly high volumes, but they sound really good at slightly lower volumes. This might also be attributed to the room itself. Anyway...

Next, I plugged in my Retrolife turntable. Before anyone starts laughing, this is a very decent turntable for the price. It's belt driven, comes with an Audio Technica cartridge, and has proven to put out respectable SQ for $180. Remember, I'm trying to be budget minded here, while taking advantage of high end 4 ohm speakers. There's plenty of time to upgrade. The phono pre-amp in the HTA200 must not have the ooomph of a high end external pre-amp, as I had to turn up the volume a fair amount more to get close to the ear bleeding loudness of songs played via BT, But one thing is for sure, the sound is very very nice. Much cleaner and more clear and accurate than the Pyle I was using with a cheap pre-amp. I don't always play things loud... I just like to push limits and see what can be had. I played some Alice Cooper, Foo Fighters, Linda Ronstadt, Incubus, and Audioslave. All sounded much improved over the previous set up.

I have two powered sub woofer options (Infinity and Klipsch) that I will be trying out, which I think will really add some fullness to an already impressive bass sound from the PSBs alone.

The HTA200 has a digital audio input , so I plan to run a cable to my TV and see how some of the Midnight Special videos sound. If you haven't had the pleasure, look up Midnight Special on YouTube... for you younger guys and gals, it was a weekly music show back in the 70's, and the sound quality on these videos is surprisingly good... like as good or better than studio recordings. Not sure how they did it, but treat yourself and thank me later.

So, first impression is that the HTA200 is a bitchin little tube/SS hybrid unit that makes more volume than you can use, and sounds outstanding at all levels tested. It is perfectly convenient and looks cool. For $350, it is half the price of a Cambridge or Outlaw unit with similar specs. I have no doubts that it could really drive some hefty floor speakers. As I add subs, TV, etc, I will come back and amend this thread.

Matt


Thanks for turning me on to DADA, don't know how that group slipped by me in the 90's. Just downloaded it from iTunes.

My "goto" for testing out new gear is the "Brothers in Arms" album from Dire Straights. The mixer of the album hit all the right keys ( for me anyways ) where they brought the voice and stellar guitar playing to the forefront of the stage with none of the other instruments being drowned out in the mix. If you're in the mood and haven't tried it out give it a ear for about an hour.

Fred
 
Thanks for turning me on to DADA, don't know how that group slipped by me in the 90's. Just downloaded it from iTunes.

My "goto" for testing out new gear is the "Brothers in Arms" album from Dire Straights. The mixer of the album hit all the right keys ( for me anyways ) where they brought the voice and stellar guitar playing to the forefront of the stage with none of the other instruments being drowned out in the mix. If you're in the mood and haven't tried it out give it a ear for about an hour.

Fred
Fred, you nailed the production quality of Brothers in Arms. My uncle bought me the cassette when it was released in '85, and I completely wore it out. And more importantly, the songs that got radio play (Money For Nothing, Walk of Life) were never my favorite songs on the album. I find that "Your Latest Trick" is a great song to test a stereo with. The trumpet intro and sax throughout, as well as the unique percussion, showcase the quality of the mids and tweets respectively. It's a wonderful album.

In regards to DADA, the entire Puzzles album is great. I think you will enjoy it. Another great song to test a system is on Styx Paradise Theater album called Lonely People. Great horns. If you like big band swing music, check out Buddy Blue's Dive Bar Cassanovas. It is very well produced, very clean, and all instruments are evenly presented. Give those a listen and tell me what you think.
 
Last edited:
I know this thread is old but there really isnt much out there on the Dayton Audio HTA200. I dont know of any upgraded tubes or anything like that. I do know that I have been using this amp for 2 channel for almost a year and find it very pleasing to listen too.
I have looked at other hybrid amps and just cant seem to bring myself to paying that much more money. The sound I am hearing is just that good.
 
I totally agree @h2oyo
Mine finally arrived in May and I have been using it just about every day
I put my Samsung tv through it using the optical, my Denon CD player into the digital coax, my Arylic S10+ streamer into the aux and a Rega turntable into the phono input.
Plenty of power to drive my CSS Criton 1TDX speakers
As previously mentioned in this thread the remote is a little lightweight but it has all the functionality I need and works OK.
I upgraded from the HTA100 because I wanted a headphone out and the remote control capabilty.
 
I know this thread is old but there really isnt much out there on the Dayton Audio HTA200. I dont know of any upgraded tubes or anything like that. I do know that I have been using this amp for 2 channel for almost a year and find it very pleasing to listen too.
I have looked at other hybrid amps and just cant seem to bring myself to paying that much more money. The sound I am hearing is just that good.

Indeed. Certainly, there isn't anything available offering the sound quality of the HTA200 that's close to the damned bargain basement price. I really don't know much about Bi-amp systems, but I wonder if two of these gems could be used in this manner. Any thoughts?
 
I totally agree @h2oyo
Mine finally arrived in May and I have been using it just about every day
I put my Samsung tv through it using the optical, my Denon CD player into the digital coax, my Arylic S10+ streamer into the aux and a Rega turntable into the phono input.
Plenty of power to drive my CSS Criton 1TDX speakers
As previously mentioned in this thread the remote is a little lightweight but it has all the functionality I need and works OK.
I upgraded from the HTA100 because I wanted a headphone out and the remote control capabilty.

I have casually considered the CSS speakers for my 8 ohm needs. I currently use PSB Stratos, but they are 4 ohm, which is what originally led me to the HTA200. But I have a few vintage receivers I have picked up, and no 8 ohm speakers to try them with, and I would rather spend a little more money once, than impatiently buy something that I know in my heart will be disappointing.

So, are the CSS Critons everything you hoped they would be?
 
hi @axismatt

Yes the CSS 1TDX are some of the best sounding speakers I have had in the last 50 years ....

I live in Michigan close to the factory so I listened to them on site before I purchased them, the guys are great, I was there a couple hours and they loaded the kit into the car for me (50 lbs) when I left.
 
hi @axismatt

Yes the CSS 1TDX are some of the best sounding speakers I have had in the last 50 years ....

I live in Michigan close to the factory so I listened to them on site before I purchased them, the guys are great, I was there a couple hours and they loaded the kit into the car for me (50 lbs) when I left.
That's cool. Okay, now I just have a battle between CSS and GR Research. I don't really want to do a kit, so whatever I buy will be a finished pair. Anyone ever listen to comparable versions of each and have an opinion?
 
Axismatt,
Id never thought about Bi amping with two of these units. I find for me and my speakers (BW 603 series 2) my albums sound really good and I can play much louder than I wish to listen. Like I said this little amp just simply sounds really good.
 
Axismatt,
Id never thought about Bi amping with two of these units. I find for me and my speakers (BW 603 series 2) my albums sound really good and I can play much louder than I wish to listen. Like I said this little amp just simply sounds really good.

Oh, I agree... they pack a punch. I have no reason to try bi-amping with them. Just wondering if it's possible. Let's face it, the audio world is chock full of snoots who refuse to try something that isn't made by Sansui or McIntosh. But how hilarious would it be to find out a pair of Dayton hybrids (less than $800 total) could out perform a $2k Emotiva. Or better yet, if they could compare to some of these $10k monolithic amps that require a computer to tell you if the sound is good. I admit that I don't know enough about it, but would be interesting so see a real audio pro test and review the idea.
 
100% agree that the remote is garbage. However, because I mostly listen to Spotify through my phone, I set the volume on the HTA200 at 12 o'clock, which seems to be the ideal location for how I adjust volume on my phone, and then control it all from my phone.

I would love to know what you bought instead. As pleased as I am with the HTA200, I am always looking for reasonably priced improvement.

And in keeping with this review thread... I finally got a TV hooked up, with audio through an optical cable. Quick, simple and clean. The sound from movies and high quality music videos is just as great as from Spotify. Honestly, I doubt I would appreciate a surround system any more than the SQ from this 2 channel set up. It really is quite impressive for the price.
I’ve have a set of outdoor Dayton speakers that has been great cost $89 sound as good as a friends $300 polk outdoor speakers ! It’s nice to know that there’s some really decent affordable gear out there ! As far as your turntable I’ve been running a pl120 audio technica that’s been great ! The older brother to the lp120 yes it needed the revised anti skate spring and a better mat but after that it’s been flawless !
 
Well, it's been a little over a year and I am still very pleased with the HTA200. We set the tv back there to see how we liked it, and used a digital optical cable for audio. Movies sound awesome. I added the wood to the wall about a month ago, not intending it to be sound dressing, but just to change the look of the room. It actually works well as (I lack the vocabulary) a diffuser? There's a stillness now when listening to music, like a lack of echo that I didn't realize was there until the wood went up. I will add a link to the product if anyone is interested. Anyway, it has inspired me to consider a bit more wall dressing to see how much better I can make the room sound.

The TV will soon be wall mounted, and we have some new furniture and additional decor planed, so will update pics soon. The dogs really like to be in there when there's music playing... sometimes I leave the house with Spotify playing and return to find them sprawled out on the couch like a couple of stoners. But they only go in there when the music is playing. Weirdos.



20250124_082514.jpg

20250124_082545.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom