• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

dbx 3bx dynamic range expander

I generally prefer to keep the signal path as simple as possible, but I'm intrigued by these units and would love to try one.


Me too. Actually, I wonder how do you hook it up: is it connected between the output of a preamp and the input of a power amp? Or is it connected in the tape loop of the preamp? In the latter case, you listen to the phone input through the tape monitor? I know the latter topology is the one used by some equalizers.
 
I have mine in the "processor loop" (Adcom GFA-565). Otherwise a tape loop works. It must go in a "line level" loop, before any volume controls. The device has an input sensitivity adjustment and a prior volume control would defeat that.
 
I have mine in the "processor loop" (Adcom GFA-565). Otherwise a tape loop works. It must go in a "line level" loop, before any volume controls. The device has an input sensitivity adjustment and a prior volume control would defeat that.

Thanks for the explanation!
 
A note about Impact Restoration. The 3bx-DS is the only unit that offers impact restoration in 3 frequency ranges. Low, Mid and High. A 1 band impact restoration is more mechanical sounding, and less pleasing to the ear. fwiw. :thmbsp:
 
I have a 3BX and a 224 noise reduction encoder/decoder hooked up through a dbx 200 router. The router also has my eq/rta and my RtR, cassette and Elcaset hooked in. I can add or remove anything I want from the signal path, dub tape-to-tape or record off any of my sources using any or all of the processing I want. It all goes through one of the tape loops in my preamp. A bit of a rats' nest of interconnects, but i plan to do some custom wires at some point and rack-mount it all.
 
I've got a few and think highly of them. For FM, tapes and LPs I think they're worthwhile. For CDs they may not be necessary.

Hmmm, I've been pondering one of these for a while now, but my thinking was that it might be a neat solution for CD's, where everybody is always complaining about lack of dynamic range. Your above statement would appear to say the opposite.

Have you tried it with CD's?

Curious,

bs
 
I'm actually doing a little "googling" on the subject of this "dynamic range expander" I was just wondering if anyone here uses one and what the benefits are of it, other than the obvious "dynamic range expansion".

I mean, if you can find one cheap and only have a turntable, some speakers and a receiver, would it bring out some added dynamics to LPs?

Something I haven't seen mentioned is that they (at least my RG Dynamics Pro 20) enhance dynamic range in 2 ways. 1-they make the loud sounds louder and 2-they make the soft sounds softer. It depends on how you adjust the "threshold" knob. I keep mine set at about 8 db, giving about 4 db of louder and about 4 db of softer. The thing can go to a total of 20 db-if you like really gross effects. Lp's or CD's? I find I use mine on about 60% of Lp's and 10% of CD's. But that's just how MY ears work.
 
A note about Impact Restoration. The 3bx-DS is the only unit that offers impact restoration in 3 frequency ranges. Low, Mid and High. A 1 band impact restoration is more mechanical sounding, and less pleasing to the ear. fwiw. :thmbsp:

I've got the 1BX-DS which is a single-band unit. The impact restoration must be used with care, I only really use it on very highly compressed recordings (or almost all FM radio stations) as it tends to make the music "pump" when impact restoration is turned up too much particularly on tracks with thumpin' bass content.

Overall I'd highly rate these units, they make pop FM radio stations listenable. Once I did an A/B comparison with/without the 1BX in the loop I was hooked, you wouldn't believe how sh*tty FM sounds without it, and how much better older LP's can sound. I'm keeping an eye out for a 3BX-DS.

Dave
 
When one considers the amount of compression used by a recording engineer, a range expander becomes a good thing. For most recordings, factors other than sound quality take precedence. For example, with FM, the less modulation of signal (more compression) the larger the range for the station. The larger the range, the more listeners. Can you believe something like that would take precedence over sound quality by a recording engineer? It does.
 
dbx

I've run one in my system since the 80's and I value what it can and can't do.

You will really notice the most difference on percussion instruments and instruments that are struck or plucked. Those sounds have a fast attack time and suffer the most in the recording process.

Properly used, good drumming is greatly improved with the use of a dbx unit.

I figured that when CDs came along, a dbx would be less useful than with vinyl. Sadly, I find that is not the case. CDs suffer just as much if not more from compression.
 
I've got the 1BX-DS which is a single-band unit. The impact restoration must be used with care, I only really use it on very highly compressed recordings (or almost all FM radio stations) as it tends to make the music "pump" when impact restoration is turned up too much particularly on tracks with thumpin' bass content.

Overall I'd highly rate these units, they make pop FM radio stations listenable. Once I did an A/B comparison with/without the 1BX in the loop I was hooked, you wouldn't believe how sh*tty FM sounds without it, and how much better older LP's can sound. I'm keeping an eye out for a 3BX-DS.

Dave
+1 for sure, especially with the FM. Good tuners cannot make up for poor broadcasts. :thmbsp:
 
Hmmm, I've been pondering one of these for a while now, but my thinking was that it might be a neat solution for CD's, where everybody is always complaining about lack of dynamic range. Your above statement would appear to say the opposite.
Have you tried it with CD's?
Curious,
bs
Brian-
Actually I use it on CDs all the time. CDs are capable of a wider dynamic range whereas FM and LPs tend to be more compressed. But just because CDs can have that wider range doesn't mean it's utilized to best effect.
You can score the 3bx series II for around $100-150 on ebay; give it a try.
JimB
 
Back
Top Bottom