• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DBX DB-SW2 question

Vinylmasters

Super Member
I picked up a set of the old DAK/BSR made DBX DB-SW2, with the 6" subwoofer yesterday. A simple question: how do I tell which speaker is which re: left and right for the correct imaging? Port side in or out?

Is there any known specs for these speakers online? I can't seem to find much info on them at all.

Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
Are you referring to the DBX DBsw2x6? If so I have one of these with the matching amp and just 1 of the speakers. The woofers may need a refoam.

I believe you want the speakers port side out so the mids toe in.
 
Are you referring to the DBX DBsw2x6? If so I have one of these with the matching amp and just 1 of the speakers. The woofers may need a refoam.

I believe you want the speakers port side out so the mids toe in.

Yes! But wait... There is a matching amp that goes with it too? Which one???
 
I picked up a set of the old DAK/BSR made DBX DB-SW2, with the 6" subwoofer yesterday. A simple question: how do I tell which speaker is which re: left and right for the correct imaging? Port side in or out?

Is there any known specs for these speakers online? I can't seem to find much info on them at all.

Thanks in advance!

If I understand correctly, you have the DBX DB-SW2x6 with the 3x2 RS and 3x2 LS? If so, the RS is right, and the LS is left. The amp was a DBX XB140, which is a MONO amp that has speaker outs for R and L. The speaker outs are basic parallel hookups with a minimum impedance of 4 ohms.

There are several on the bay right now.

That era of DBX was produced in the late 80's early 90's by a company called DAK. You will find mixed reviews on them, let you own ears judge.
 
If I understand correctly, you have the DBX DB-SW2x6 with the 3x2 RS and 3x2 LS? If so, the RS is right, and the LS is left. The amp was a DBX XB140, which is a MONO amp that has speaker outs for R and L. The speaker outs are basic parallel hookups with a minimum impedance of 4 ohms.

There are several on the bay right now.

That era of DBX was produced in the late 80's early 90's by a company called DAK. You will find mixed reviews on them, let you own ears judge.

Was the amp an option, or sold with it? I thought it was just a passive setup? What are the advantages to this amp?
 
It is a subwoofer amp. 50/watts x2. I am fairly sure it has a built in low pass filter. It has only speaker level inputs, no RCA connections.

It seems well made, but to be honest the sub and amp are very underwhelming. I think that with the sealed box they don't do much under 80hz. Might work well nearfield depending on your music tastes.

Where are you located?
 
It is a subwoofer amp. 50/watts x2. I am fairly sure it has a built in low pass filter. It has only speaker level inputs, no RCA connections.

It seems well made, but to be honest the sub and amp are very underwhelming. I think that with the sealed box they don't do much under 80hz. Might work well nearfield depending on your music tastes.

Where are you located?

I'm in upstate NY.

This is mainly for background music on a back porch, and will have 'B' speakers out in a pavilion by the pool (probably the bigger Minimus speakers) off of a Sherwood 6010r receiver (it's a 105 watts RMS per ch.). The porch has high ceilings, but also has an almost standup-closet like space where the sub will go. I've had an old KLH sub there before and it almost acts like a bass port itself, so it should be more than adequate for these needs anyway. I think I'm going to try it without the amp first and see how it goes first before buying the pre-amp for it.
 
..It seems well made, but to be honest the sub and amp are very underwhelming. I think that with the sealed box they don't do much under 80hz...

aw c'mon, even if it is DAK it should do 50hz i'm sure. i take it you don't think much of sealed box speakers?

but from what i can gather on the web most people think these are the best value DAK sold. i nearly bought them but i had to move.
 
aw c'mon, even if it is DAK it should do 50hz i'm sure. i take it you don't think much of sealed box speakers?

but from what i can gather on the web most people think these are the best value DAK sold. i nearly bought them but i had to move.


Maybe they can do 50hz, but id say they start rolling off quickly under 80. I haven't measured, I am just going by ear.

I actually really like sealed cabinets. It's just in this application they do not produce much output in the "sub" frequencies.
 
I'm in upstate NY.

This is mainly for background music on a back porch, and will have 'B' speakers out in a pavilion by the pool (probably the bigger Minimus speakers) off of a Sherwood 6010r receiver (it's a 105 watts RMS per ch.). The porch has high ceilings, but also has an almost standup-closet like space where the sub will go. I've had an old KLH sub there before and it almost acts like a bass port itself, so it should be more than adequate for these needs anyway. I think I'm going to try it without the amp first and see how it goes first before buying the pre-amp for it.

If you ever want to make the trip to western MA, you can have my amp and the subs. They are just collecting dust in my garage.
 
Back
Top Bottom