• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DCM CX-17 or Bose 4.2

CPKStudio

New Member
I’m looking at a a couple sets of smaller speakers. Running a Dual 1229 with a Marantz 2230 and want a good set of small speakers. Space is limited. Going to meet a guy this afternoon and he has a set of Bose 4.2 and a set of DCM CX-17’s I think I can buy either set for $50. Leaning toward the CX-17 but looking for opinions. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
So I went ahead and picked up the DCM pair one sounds really good the other seems to be struggling on the low end. I’ve read other posts on here about people repairing these so I went ahead and boUgh them.

Any suggestions on what I should check are you to bug out the issue?

thanks!
 
You have swapped the speaker channels to confirm/

Check the connections to the woofer.

Great point, maybe a newbie mistake, the guy just had a single speaker wire hooked up and I moved it between the two speakers without changing it from L/R on the stereo. When I get home I’m going to try them again on the marantz and see if I get the same issue. Then next step I will check connections. Thanks!
 
Wow these are amazing connected to my system. One is slightly underperforming so my next step on it is to check the connections and see if I can ID an issue. But the clarity is just great.
 
Glad you're enjoying them! I would check the rubber surrounds on the woofers to see if they're properly attached to the cone. A separated surround will cause an air leak in the cabinet that can result in weak and underperforming bass.
 
Glad you're enjoying them! I would check the rubber surrounds on the woofers to see if they're properly attached to the cone. A separated surround will cause an air leak in the cabinet that can result in weak and underperforming bass.
Thanks for the feedback- I will check it out. Oddly enough it seems like it has improved a little after playing for a couple hours last night - is that possible or maybe just misperception?
 
Thanks for the feedback- I will check it out. Oddly enough it seems like it has improved a little after playing for a couple hours last night - is that possible or maybe just misperception?
It may be your ears are getting used to their particular sound, or if they sat for a while unused the capacitors in the crossover may be reforming. Once everything has settled they may be just fine.
 
It may be your ears are getting used to their particular sound, or if they sat for a while unused the capacitors in the crossover may be reforming. Once everything has settled they may be just fine.
They do look like they have sat in storage for quite awhile.
 
Back
Top Bottom