• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DCM speaker comparison: TimeFrame TF-600, TF-700, TF-1000, Time Window 1a

I am now on my third pair of TW 1A's. I bought my first pair from my nearby Connecticut audio store for $600 in 1977 - $60 discount off list price of $660. The store owner Del gave me a ride home with them in his Volvo station wagon. I used them with a GAS Son of Ampzilla ($450). I kept the first pair for a year and sold them locally to a high school student for $420. I was working then at that same nearby Connecticut audio store so I was able to buy audio gear at dealer cost. I used the $420 from the sale to buy a new current production pair of TW's with the new OEM woofers. The first production ones used the hexagonal basket Philips woofers. I sold the Son of Ampzilla to the same student that bought my TW's. I then used that money to buy at dealer cost the then-new Audionics CC2 amp. I considered that an upgrade over the Son amp.
I kept the CC2/TW 1A's in use for the next several years until 1981 when I traded in the pairing for a set of secondhand Quad 57's from another nearby Connecticut audio store. I considered the Quads a significant upgrade over the TW 1A's. The Quads stayed with me in daily use for 19 years! In need of money in 2000 I reluctantly sold them for $650. During those years I mainly used a Bedini 25/25 amp alternating with a pair of Julius Futterman's H3AA OTL mono amps.
Now decades later I moved from Connecticut to central Florida in 2015. Better weather and affordable real estate! In 2017 I acquired my first smartphone. This gave me access to the Internet. I discovered eBay and surfing there I came across a pair of TW 1A's for $219 and free shipping! A real good deal. So I bought the pair. They arrived safely packed in two boxes in like-new condition! Late production serial numbers 52779, 52780. They have been in dally use since 2018 with an RGR 4 preamp ($199) and a Sumo Andromeda 200wpc amp ($450) - both eBay purchases. Digital sources are a Marantz CD67 ($200) and a Khadas KTB DAC ($80) fed by a JVC DVD player ($26) with coax RCA output. All bought used on eBay. Analog sources are a Mitsubishi DA-F10 tuner and an Ariston RD turntable with a Fidelity Research 29 arm/ Coral B777 Sleeping Beauty lomc cartridge into a Bellari SUT/ RGR 4. All bought secondhand on eBay except the Bellari was bought new ($350).
My third pair of TW 1A's is so musically satisfying that I feel no need to pull out some of my other speakers, which include various Altec's and JBL's, Quad 57's and Rogers LS3/5A's ... more!
 
Have had the TF-600's and the TW 1a's. The 600's were good the 1a's were outstanding. Only pair of speakers I wish I had back. Aso tried them near field and was gob smacked at how good they were using them that way.
 
Back
Top Bottom