• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DCM TF600 question...

Well, I'm not planning to use them with a TV - at least I'm planning for a music only system ...
at the moment, they are flanked by the JBL 3 ways - but I'll move those out of the room a bit later.

attachment.php
When you see L200's next to TF-600's (no small speaker) you realize how huge they really are. Massive. With the 600's that close together you won't have much imaging to speak of, however, switching sides will help some (placing the drivers outbound). Obviously idea situation would simple be further apart. Oh, no rear walls is a huge no-no for these speakers as they rely on the rear firing tweets to provide more fill and open feeling. If you really want to give these a fair listen find a place more suited for their design, then you can at least listen to the best they have to offer. If they sound good at all, just imagine proper placement?
 
Badge help.

I've finished the "restore" of these speakers, but have since forgotten where the badges go, either over the coax or opposite site?
 
I've finished the "restore" of these speakers, but have since forgotten where the badges go, either over the coax or opposite site?

From photos I have seen the badges go to corner on the same side of the coax. I don't think it will matter in the long run because there is not a "right" and left" speaker like the 400's.
 
From photos I have seen the badges go to corner on the same side of the coax. I don't think it will matter in the long run because there is not a "right" and left" speaker like the 400's.
I've seen two instructions, one early model and one later, and one does mention placement of the badges, and since the speakers are mirrored the badges (I believe) should be placed accordingly, so there won't be confusion when referencing the badges. The instructions, however, don't show or describe the badge position in relation to the drivers (coax mounted on right for one, left for the other).

Personally I'm not concerned, but whomever winds up with these could be. I'd like to minimize that confusion, along with simply doing it correctly.
 
I don't think it will matter in the long run because there is not a "right" and left" speaker like the 400's.


Actually, there IS a Right and a Left version of the speaker ... they ARE mirrored.

I cranked up the gain in Photoshop on these just so you can see the reflected cones and tweeter ass'y the flash brings up under the cloth.
And yes, these are same TF600s I had above, but since then I stripped the black paint off the caps as I HATE it when nice wood gets painted over!

Hopefully, with these pix you can see where the badges should be.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DCM600_5852-enhanced.jpg
    DCM600_5852-enhanced.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Actually, there IS a Right and a Left version of the speaker ... they ARE mirrored.

I cranked up the gain in Photoshop on these just so you can see the reflected cones and tweeter ass'y the flash brings up under the cloth.
And yes, these are same TF600s I had above, but since then I stripped the black paint off the caps as I HATE it when nice wood gets painted over!

Hopefully, with these pix you can see where the badges should be.

attachment.php
Awesome, I'll post images of the finished goods later.

Thanks James!
 
Well I'd say Hjames post settles it.
Odd the DCM manual mentions left and right on the 400's but not on the 600's.
If I have one criticism of DCM from that era it is that their owner's manuals are terrible and almost seemed like an afterthought.
 
Last edited:
All complete

Took waaaay too long, but there done. My buddy will be happy.

Everything in it's place. Rear shot shows the "sock" NOT tucked in. Instead I reinforced the fabric with felt, stitched in place along the perimeter and along the inside of the openings. This permits easy removal of the sock for cleaning or to service the drivers. Not especially attractive or "factory", but my buddy and I agree the logic behind it works.
 

Attachments

  • DCM600_finished.JPG
    DCM600_finished.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 204
  • DCM600_terminal.JPG
    DCM600_terminal.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 215
Took waaaay too long, but there done. My buddy will be happy.

Everything in it's place. Rear shot shows the "sock" NOT tucked in. Instead I reinforced the fabric with felt, stitched in place along the perimeter and along the inside of the openings. This permits easy removal of the sock for cleaning or to service the drivers. Not especially attractive or "factory", but my buddy and I agree the logic behind it works.

Great work!
They look minty!!!
 
Those look great! Very nice job on the socks!
I wish I had the right room to play them in. I'd love to give them a listen in the right room, with the right rig. Heard so many good things. All the drivers work perfectly. He's going to be ecstatic. Really appreciate his patience and the many contributions that helped me along the way. Great being an AKer!

Thank you for the support.
 
Do you happen to have pictures of the placement of the rear tweeters ? I looked through this thread and did see any if you have could you post please :) thanks Kent
 
the rear tweeters are mounted on the angled "side baffles". They don't face directly to the rear. they radiate to either side. They are very small.
 
Thanks baco99

But I stated my reason incorrectly.
I would like to see how they are mounted :)
Don't want to remove the socks on mine if there is a picture out there :)

thanks for the help Kent
 
Thanks baco99

But I stated my reason incorrectly.
I would like to see how they are mounted :)
Don't want to remove the socks on mine if there is a picture out there :)

thanks for the help Kent

See the photo in post #1525 in the monster DCM thread on another forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/652191/whatever-happened-to-dcms-steve-eberbach/1500

Any DCM fan owes it to him/herself to take the time to at least scan through that thread. There is a ton of great history, photos, and information on all vintage DCM models (including numerous bits of info from the designer himself, Steve Eberbach).
 
I never heard of felt between speakers and that layout of the woofer behind the tweeter.I own 350s and thankfully resocked and refoamed before I got them.As for foam insulation I was told DCM used to use a headliner type of fabric that degrades over time to wrap their speakers as I guess vibration control or sonic enhancer of some kind.For such a wacky design these speakers are awesome.I know sock speakers should not be in the same conversation of grill covered speakers but as I always have said the Dalquist D-10, AR3a, and now Time Frame any model are the worst looking grill/sock off speakers out there.
 
I never heard of felt between speakers and that layout of the woofer behind the tweeter.I own 350s and thankfully resocked and refoamed before I got them.As for foam insulation I was told DCM used to use a headliner type of fabric that degrades over time to wrap their speakers as I guess vibration control or sonic enhancer of some kind.For such a wacky design these speakers are awesome.I know sock speakers should not be in the same conversation of grill covered speakers but as I always have said the Dalquist D-10, AR3a, and now Time Frame any model are the worst looking grill/sock off speakers out there.

Yes, the TF600 has two woofers, the upper one has a metal mesh with felt behind it and a tweeter mounted inside the mesh. It's a configuration that was also found on the CX series of speakers. The lower woofer handles the lower frequencies. The upper one acts more like a mid bass.

461695-dcm_cx17_speakers.jpg


The TF350 are not the same configuration as the TF600, at all. The TF350 is a much more conventional 2-way speaker with a tweeter mounted above a woofer, mirrored, and in a quasi-transmission-line enclosure.

The TF600 are much more complex. They are a 3-way speaker with the addition of the two rear-facing tweeters as pictured in the post above.

The speakers are wrapped in a headliner material which is glued to the cabinet. Then the cloth sock is slid on top of that. The headliner material can be found at any fabric store and goes on with spray adhesive and a few staples. The point of the fabric was the reduce diffraction of high frequencies that would bounce off of the front baffle. The baffles were so wide that the high end could get distorted, and the time alignment features of the crossover negated, if the fabric were not there. The fabric also helps prevent midrange frequencies from resonating the cabinet.

Because these are vented cabinets, by virtue of the transmission-line port, inside, they have a minimal amount of acoustic stuffing inside the cabinet. The cabinets should not be stuffed like a sealed enclosure. The stuffing was placed strategically along the bends of the transmission line to minimize low-end distortion.

And I agree, they look like hell with the covers off. But the sound they produce is fantastic.

Finally, ALL of the Time Frame series of speakers were mirrored and should have been sold in sequential pairs, odd number for left side, even number for right. Many times the retailer were just pick a left and right haphazardly. But they should be in series. The Time Window series were NOT mirrored or handed. It is common for the Time Windows to have non-sequential numbers.
 
Back
Top Bottom