• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DCM Time Windows: original or later?

Parsec

Member
I scored last week these beloved DCM TW.

They don't have the drivers of the first series, nor de serial numbers of the 1A. The serial numbers are engraved to the wooden base, and not on the back sticker as usual.
IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2098.JPG
I have 2 questions for you, dear fellows:

Could you, identify them?
They sound incredible with the Fisher X-101C, even better than with my Rega 2.5!

I read they are 8 ohm nominal impedance, and minimum 5 ohm. So I connect them to the 8 om slot, or the 4 ohm one?

Cheers,

Jean from Montreal
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks darkblue94!
I have to rebuild the foam envelopping the columns, Then they will look as good as they sound.
 
You have an early but not early enough to be much different than all the rest of the TW (1) speakers. These were made up to about s/n 45000 or so. The only difference I see between your speakers and later TW (1) are the non-painted edges of the base and top and the serial number stamped in the wood. Other than that I would think these are the same as the ones I have s/n 25000 or so. These were new before 1980.

There were a few different iterations of the TW before DCM settled on making what you have. Port number and locations and driver changes were all part of the early changes that happened to the speakers over the first few thousand made.
 
You acquired a great set of speakers!
Mine are early 2000 serial numbers, octogon woofer baskets. I bought them from the original owner at a yard sale.
I bought the foam online from an air filter foam supplier, which they note can be used for speaker grills that originally had foam.
They came out great and sound great!
Crossovers are original, and I did replace one woofer with another original octagonal woofer.
Congrats!
 
You have an early but not early enough to be much different than all the rest of the TW (1) speakers. These were made up to about s/n 45000 or so. The only difference I see between your speakers and later TW (1) are the non-painted edges of the base and top and the serial number stamped in the wood. Other than that I would think these are the same as the ones I have s/n 25000 or so. These were new before 1980.

There were a few different iterations of the TW before DCM settled on making what you have. Port number and locations and driver changes were all part of the early changes that happened to the speakers over the first few thousand made.

Thanks Blue Shadow. Awesome knowledge!
 
Those look the same as mine. I'm don't know my serial numbers or the age of my pair.

. . . I bought the foam online from an air filter foam supplier, which they note can be used for speaker grills that originally had foam. . .

You happen to have a link handy?
 
You acquired a great set of speakers!
Mine are early 2000 serial numbers, octogon woofer baskets. I bought them from the original owner at a yard sale.
I bought the foam online from an air filter foam supplier, which they note can be used for speaker grills that originally had foam.
They came out great and sound great!
Crossovers are original, and I did replace one woofer with another original octagonal woofer.
Congrats!

Thank you for the very useful link for the foam in one of your thread about your restoring your TW. Very amazing wood work you did. Mine's are ok. Just a little sanding and oiling. for the sound, I don't think I need to recap them. That's a good thing because it would imply heavy work with the mallet and everything! Brrrr
I've also read posts from you about JVC SS Amps from the 80s.
 
Yes, the 3 is supposed to be better, never heard them but there is also the Seven, bigger still and better still, again still wanting to hear these, too.
 
I have gone through a lot of speakers over the last five years and I'm going to say that these rank exceptionally well , might even be my favorite's so far .
 
Thank you for the very useful link for the foam in one of your thread about your restoring your TW. Very amazing wood work you did. Mine's are ok. Just a little sanding and oiling. for the sound, I don't think I need to recap them. That's a good thing because it would imply heavy work with the mallet and everything! Brrrr
I've also read posts from you about JVC SS Amps from the 80s.
Thanks Parsec!
They were a fun project, and are really terrific speakers.
Cheers!
 
Back
Top Bottom