• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Definitive Technology Mythos ST

Francis55

Active Member
All,

So I have a pair of the Mythos ST tower speakers--in wonderful condition, BUT one has a blown subwoofer and three blown transistors in the amp (I guess the driver's failure led to the amp failure). Trying to source a replacement sub, but that looks unlikely. Assuming I cannot source this part, how "sellable" would a pair these be, given that one sub is not working? Would it be adequate to run these with only one sub, and/or I think I've heard that some prefer to run just the speakers, they don't hook up the internal subs, and they just use a separate sub of their choosing? Obviously this would impair their value, but how much residual value/desirability would there be with a "missing" sub? Thanks!

Francis
 
Register to hide this ad
Just found a replacement on eBay! I'm back in business!!

I am happy for you. Particularly because the answer to your initial question would be giving you very bad news. The value without the subwoofer and without the amplifier working is just parts value. This is one reason why I never will buy speakers with built-in powered subwoofers. (I even prefer unpowered subwoofers and using a separate amplifier for them, but most of the subwoofers I have had have been powered ones. But not the best ones I have.)

Regarding this:

(I guess the driver's failure led to the amp failure).

I would guess the other way around, that the amplifier failure led to the woofer failure. Speakers are usually extremely reliable, and since the subwoofer amplifier is (or should be) designed for that particular woofer, it should be that it would not ever normally overdrive it, so that only if the amplifier fails would it blow the woofer.
 
Very good, many thanks. Now I guess my repair guy needs to source some transistors for the amp=--so I may have jumped the gun a little! He seems confident of scoring the other parts now that I have the subwoofer on the way. Any sense of how hard it can be to track down the correct transistors for this model? Do they need to be OEM or do they just need to meet the right specs? Thanks again for your technical insights!

PS I still have the idea of parting them out if needed, kinda sad but probably pretty profitable, truth be told.
 
Any sense of how hard it can be to track down the correct transistors for this model?

I have no idea what the circuitry of that amplifier is like. So I have no idea about that. Well, the fact that you are looking for transistors instead of ICs gives one a greater sense of optimism.


Do they need to be OEM or do they just need to meet the right specs?

They don't need to be OEM and will be fine if they are the right specs. If your tech person is good, then they can sometimes alter the circuitry to get it working well even if the transistors they get are a little different. If your tech is really good, you might want to ask about the cause of the failure, and if anything can be done to prevent such a failure in the future. And if they do have a way of preventing future failures, you might want them to modify the working one to prevent that one from failing. However, that is dependent on them being really good, and I have no idea how good your tech person is. And it may be that there isn't anything that they can reasonably do to prevent future failures. I don't know the cause of the failure or anything about the particular circuitry involved (other than it is an amplifier for low frequencies).



In case my previous comments about powered subwoofers seem cryptic, the reason I don't like amplifiers built into speakers is that I have had experience with the amplifiers failing in some of them, and I am not alone in that, judging from comments online in various audio forums (though I freely admit that some have been extremely reliable). I have never had one of the actual speakers fail in such a unit. With some built-in amplifiers, getting a schematic can be difficult and sometimes the parts are impossible to find. And since built-in amplifiers often have a response curve in them designed for the particular application (to compensate for frequency response problems of the speaker), putting in a replacement amplifier with a flat response is not going to get the thing working properly; the frequency response will be off. Usually, they don't advertise whether the built-in amplifier has a flat response or not, as they are selling you the package and the overall frequency response is what one hears about.

Also, separate amplifiers made by reputable companies are almost always very reliable. But the irony is, it is easy to just replace a separate amplifier if it does fail. Being separate is a good thing. Of course, being separate does take up more space and does add a little complexity for hooking things up.

To be fair (to continue with this digression), there is an advantage to a built-in amplifier, and that is that they can design it such that it will never overdrive the speaker, no matter what one does with the controls. They don't all do that, but if they do, it is a good feature to keep the owner from damaging the speaker with excessive power. With unpowered speakers and a separate amplifier, the person operating it can be an idiot and just keep turning up the volume control no matter how much it is distorting. And there are some idiots who do exactly that, and then wonder why they have equipment failure.


Anyway, I am glad you found a replacement subwoofer and that your tech is optimistic about getting replacement parts for the amplifier. You can then go back to enjoying your speakers once they are repaired.
 
If only you knew stuff! Great analysis, great insights, many thanks--my knowlege is pretty non-technical and limited, so this helps a lot. I will update soon--once part arrives I'm meeting with the tech to see what's up--he works on a lot of DJ equipment used on the Strip here in Las Vegas, so hopefully he's pretty good.
 
If only you knew stuff! Great analysis, great insights, many thanks--my knowlege is pretty non-technical and limited, so this helps a lot. I will update soon--once part arrives I'm meeting with the tech to see what's up--he works on a lot of DJ equipment used on the Strip here in Las Vegas, so hopefully he's pretty good.

If he turns out to be good, don't try to find someone cheaper in the future. Someone who is honest and competent is very valuable, and if you find someone who is dishonest or incompetent (or both), that can end up costing you a lot more when they wreck your equipment and charge you for repairs that don't need to be done. The same advice goes for pretty much everything else where someone repairs things for you, like HVAC or plumbing or home remodeling or auto repair. It is better to have honest and competent at a reasonable price than cheap where one does not get both honesty and competence.
 
Fransis55 I have the Mythos ST's and both sub woofers stop working over time I've owned them for over 12 years and It's a common problem with the ST's as for some reason Definitive Technology used cheap Chinese parts I contacted Definitive Technology and they covered one under warranty and put in touch with a repair shop to do the repairs with better quality parts I sent in a ST spare power amp that I had from a previous repair and had them repair thst also for $250 Sure enough I had to use it So if you give the Mythos ST's a good amp and source they actually sound really good!!
This is my stereo rig playing a song with the ST's All my equipment is in the description Trust me it sounds so much better in person:

 
Back
Top Bottom