• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denafrips DAC's OS/NOS Settings

markd51

Nyuk Nyuk
Hi all,
I own a Denafrips Terminator II. I seek some advice and knowledge about the OS/NOS Settings, I'm totally in the dark about this, and while I have experimented in the past, I really heard not much in the way of differences, and neither with the Phase Switch either.

Should I be hearing immediate changes in sound while trying different settings? I would assume yes.

I'm using just a transport with 75ohm Coax is all, that's it, and only playing Redbook CD.
What would be some good settings to try? Thanks.


I gather there's only 2 available settings in OS Mode, Slow, or Sharp Filter, it that it, correct?
No additional adjustments in NOS Mode
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hi all,
I own a Denafrips Terminator II. I seek some advice and knowledge about the OS/NOS Settings, I'm totally in the dark about this, and while I have experimented in the past, I really heard not much in the way of differences, and neither with the Phase Switch either.

Should I be hearing immediate changes in sound while trying different settings? I would assume yes.

I'm using just a transport with 75ohm Coax is all, that's it, and only playing Redbook CD.
What would be some good settings to try? Thanks.


I gather there's only 2 available settings in OS Mode, Slow, or Sharp Filter, it that it, correct?
No additional adjustments in NOS Mode
.
I do not have your DAC, but I can tell you that the word for these changes is…………subtle. That has been my experience with a variety of DAC’s. Rest of your gear? I see from your profile that you are 70 years old so you are (obviously) listening with 70 year old diminished hearing. Welcome to the club. That’s my take on it.
.
 
I have a Denafrips Ares II and was not able to hear any differences in any of those settings when I first got it. Just left it at whatever the default settings were from the factory. Probably didn't do any serious listening though.
 
I remember the small amount of toying I did with OS/NOS when I got it. I seem to recall a delay when finally then selecting the 2 options in OS, soft filter, and hard filter. I believe Denafrips states that time as 10 seconds once the correct selections are made......

1X LED on, 8X LED on= Slow Filter.

1X LED off, 8X LED on=Hard Filter.

I never really gave much time into just leaving the DAC on those OS settings to better evaluate them

I will now experiment further, with those 2 OS settings each, for a longer period of time from now on to get a better grasp of what they are doing, and of course to find the best sound that works in this particular system and my ears.
 
Earlier, I tried executing the above O/S Settings and seems no luck. I'll try to set to above directions for O/S with Slow Fliter to sample, and within ten seconds, the 8X Lamp goes out, and even reverts back to the NOS Lamp being lit. Very confusing.

Instructions say press Mute, then press Mode, and you can choose slow or hard filter in O/S. Either setting changes and does not continue to display such after a ten second period.

Appears I have a "one trick pony" here.

I posted this issue on the denafrips facebook group, and hopefully will get some answers.
 
Not a Denafrips owner, but have noticed similar with other DACs. How would you rate the DAC overall? What are you using it with? What did you have before?

The Terminator II has been on my wish list for a while, based on rave reviews and reported value.
 
Earlier, I tried executing the above O/S Settings and seems no luck. I'll try to set to above directions for O/S with Slow Fliter to sample, and within ten seconds, the 8X Lamp goes out, and even reverts back to the NOS Lamp being lit. Very confusing.

Instructions say press Mute, then press Mode, and you can choose slow or hard filter in O/S. Either setting changes and does not continue to display such after a ten second period.

Appears I have a "one trick pony" here.

I posted this issue on the denafrips facebook group, and hopefully will get some answers.

Yep, Denafrips instructions are terrible, as is the method for switching modes. That is the main reason I gave up on trying any other settings.
 
Yep, Denafrips instructions are terrible, as is the method for switching modes. That is the main reason I gave up on trying any other settings.
And at present day, Denafrips tech support is also not so good.
Three times I wrote and with specific questions about what happens with front panel lighting after making changes with the 2 provided choices with Oversampling Filters?

Canned responses to all, not answering specifically and telling me over and over what buttons to push bla bla bla,, and refer to the manual. I know that part, answer myspecific questions please! Nope.

Maybe something's lost in translation but suspect that you're not getting any replies from someone who actually knows the operation and behavior of their own units.

But, I did get a response from another user in the Audiogon forum, and he says that it is normal operation, that after making changes, and entering such OS changes for soft or sharp filter, they (8X) will only temporarily light, then extinguish within a ten second period.

But the chosen filter settings are said to in fact be working properly, and that the DAC will also retain those OS settings after powering the unit back up from standby,

In other words one doesn't have to toggle through those settings every time you power up the unit.

So, it appears my worries were unfounded, and there's no problems with my Terminator II DAC.

About the other things to dislike with the T-2, is no remote control, and odd that they even did provide a small window area on the lower right side of the faceplate for IR Remote control, "if" they had added such circuitry in the unit. Apparently a cost cutting measure, which shouldn't be on a $4500 DAC.

I understand there are other Denafrips DACs that do have remote control, but that the Remote is not included with the Unit, it is optional at an extra cost.

Wasn't a lover of the 3 Pointy Cone Feet either, they will carve up a rack shelf with no further protection. I added 4 stick on machined Aluminum Footers Ala Amazon underneath, much better IMO.

It's a decent sounding unit, I simply hook a redbook CAL Delta transport to it is all at present, nothing else.
 
Last edited:
That the chosen filter setting are in fact working properly, and that the DAC will also retain those OS settings after powering the unit back up from standby,
Well that is certainly not intuitive. Been a couple of years since I messed with Ares 2 settings, but this is probably the reason I got frustrated and gave up.
 
Well that is certainly not intuitive. Been a couple of years since I messed with Ares 2 settings, but this is probably the reason I got frustrated and gave up.
Another odd bug is with the T-2 is the Phase Button. According to the manual and even early vids I seen, they claimed when the Phase Light was lit, that this was positive phase. It was later said the exact opposite was true.

That positive phase is when the light is not on. Honestly, I hear little to no difference either way, and have noted many others don't as well.

Another dislike by some, is no XLR Analog Outputs.

On positive notes, the build quality and finish of the unit is very nicely done. Mine is silver finish. Never have opened the unit though. Nor have I ever done any firmware updates.
 
Two other DACs that I own are both California Audio Labs, the Sigma II, and the Alpha (non 24/96)

The Sigma II takes one 12AX7 type, and the Alpha takes two. I bought the Sigma II brand new, $900. And the mint Alpha I paid $400.

The Sigma II was pretty immune to Tube rolling, the original tube worked well for a good many years. Tried Sovteks, etc, all worked good.

The Alpha was a different story, coming with JAN-Phillips 12AX7 which sounded like nails on a chalkboard, horrible.

I eventually found some sweet NOS 5751 Tubes, they were the ticket, and I'd put my Alpha up against the Terminator II in a head to head, and you might be surprised. That this DAC produced some really good sound.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0519.JPG
    DSCN0519.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0531.JPG
    DSCN0531.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 14
I have an Ares and a Pontus, it took awhile to get the hang of changing settings. The changes are definitely subtle. Very nice rig that you have there BTW.
 
Back
Top Bottom