• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Denon Amp won't play MiniDisk

Brotherlolo

New Member
Hello,
My partner bought me a minidisk player for my birthday - I connected to my Denon PMA-300V amp but there was no sound. Perhaps foolishly, I figured there was an issue with the player (my CD player works fine and trying alternative cables and connections made no difference). I dumped the minidisk player, assuming it was broken. Imagine my surprise when, having purchased another minidisk player (Sony MDS-JE530), I'm getting the same result. Ooops. Any advice or suggestions as to why nothing seems to be coming through?
 
Register to hide this ad
Keep troubleshooting until you figure it out. Swap inputs on the amp, try different cables, different discs...whatever it takes.
 
Your amp should work as expected with the minidisc player. I have a Sony MD player and it works just fine. Check the volume and make sure the discs have some recorded content.
 
It's a simple hookup, either via standard red/white RCA cables or optical output on the MDS-JE530.

Are you sure your discs have music recorded on them? Can you listen through the built-in headphone port on the front?

The only other thing I can think of is you mistakenly plugged the RCA cables into the INPUT of your MD player and hooked that up to your amp instead of using the OUTPUT RCA jacks (they're right next to each other, so it's an easy mistake).
 
Last edited:
It's a simple hookup, either via standard red/white RCA cables or optical output on the MDS-JE530.
Are you sure your discs have music recorded on them?
Can you hear anything through the built-in headphone port on the front?
Forget the digital/optical signals - keep it analogue while troubleshooting.
Check the disc player with the front panel headphone jack.
If you hear sounds, then test with Minidisc Audio out to Aux in on your Denon.

Thats kind of it - nothing else to test.
 
Back
Top Bottom