• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon AVC-A10se, Anyone familiar with this amp and some of its faults???

gt311

New Member
Hello, I am new to this forum, which I have just found after some searching. I have a BASIC Electronics knowledge. I have built many electronics kits back in the 80s and more recently guitar pedals.

My big down fall is troubleshooting when there is a problem.

Besides that, I have a beautiful Denon AVC-A10se which I have had for 25 years. At the time, this amp was one model down from their top of the line AVC-A1se. It has served me well and I can't bring
myself to throw it out for, what I feel, maybe a simple problem.

Recently it has RANDOMLY started loosing sound and input. The amp may work for up to a week or more flawlessly then, if you happen to change the input dial, or switch it from Dolby to stereo, the sound stops and the inputs stop receiving signal (digital and analog). I am assuming it is loosing input signal because all the little red lights that tell you whether the signal is stereo, 5.1, dts, etc turn off. For that time that it is working, you can push any buttons and change inputs and all works as it should. The amplifier does NOT loose power? I have been troubleshooting this for a couple of weeks now with no success. I have reset the processor via the front panel. My confusion here is whether to look for a power supply issue, an input board issue, etc. The power output is not affected because when the amp is working it is fine. Great sound as always and plenty of punch.

I have downloaded the service manual. When I opened it, I thought the solder joints on a couple of transistors on a sub power board looked sus. I pulled this board out and reflowed and resoldered the transistors as well as changing some of the caps even though they looked ok.

I put it back together and I thought I may have fluked the problem. It worked great for about 10 days. Turning off and on, changing sources etc. But then all of the sudden, I changed the dolby to THX and it happened. All lights out and no more sound. You can not just turn it off and on again and it is ok, it now will need to sit for many hours before it comes good again.

To my very little experienced electronics brain, it feels the problem is minor but i have no idea where to start.

Does anyone have experience with this amp or with this sort of problem???

Would appreciate any guidance. Thanking you, Tony.
 
Register to hide this ad
I would start by checking cable connections, switches and controls. These get oxidized and get intermittent. Don't assume it's more complicated until you rule out the simple stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom