• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon DP-35F/DP-45F Sagging TA Counter Weight

cemerson

Active Member
I'm looking for some advice or trick to fix these sagging counter weights. I own one of each of these and their weights sag instead of being in line with the tone arm. They still work, but don't look right. I've looked at the service manual, but the tone arms are listed/referred to as an assembly. I'd prefer to have some advice from someone that has disassembled one of these before I tear into them, and do something wrong. Any instruction or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
 
Register to hide this ad
At this point I kinda feel like the drooping weight guy since I seem to always be commenting on this issue.

Drooping arm counter weights are caused by the rubber tube/sleeve deteriorating that separates
the rear counter weight from the arm tube.
Usually at the center of this rubber tube you will find a stiffening rod often metal.

So you ask, why is it here? It's purpose is to help dampen the arm and was part of the original design
found on better arms of the period.

How to fix it, well two paths one more in line with the original intent, the other less so.
First choice remove the counter weights, carefully separate the remaining short arm stub from the arm at the droop
point, take your time. Clean any old rubber debris from both ends of the arm sections save any stiffening
rods etc.
Once cleaned up the goal is to replicate the original connection and this varies between arms due to the
arm tubes "ID" inner dimension.

Rubber tubing comes in a variety of OD's you want one that when the stiffening rod {original or not}
is inserted will provide enough resistance as to not rotate or separate easily.
A slightly large tube can usually be made smaller by sanding/grinding that sort off thing and placing
both the rubber tube and stiffening center material in the deep freeze.
If you have the dimensions very close a lubricant that will temporarily help insertion but not allow
movement when finished can be used, saliva will evaporate or a lubricate that is not petrolatum based
and flashes off leaving no long term lubrication effects.

Second option, skip the rubber tube material and the center rod. and go for any connecting material
you choose with the correct OD that will be stiff and not rotate or pull apart to easily.
Possible options include a variety of plastics,nylons, wood etc etc and if you get close to the right size
but think it still a little lose, a material appropriate bonding product could be added.

If you are creative and have patience it is not that difficult a process.

Note on Ebay a vendor does supply a one piece solid type connector for SME arms of which a gazilion
were made to correct the issue with them.
 
Okay, so the short story is, if I understand this correctly, I can just "gently" pull the rubber section out of the tonearm tube. Then I need to find a suitable replacement. There is no reason to disassemble the tonearm to accomplish this, correct? If this is the case, I imagined something a lot more complicated than it actually is. I suppose you should never overlook the obvious. I really appreciate your instructions. Once I get it out of there, I can take a trip to the hardware store and see what will work. Thanks for taking the time to help.
 
Back
Top Bottom