• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon DP-45F or Sony PS-X75

kceateva

Active Member
I am down to these two turn tables to choose from for now ;)
I can win the Sony ps-x75 a bit pricey, but wanted to know would the Denon Dp-45F stack up against the Sony? Any thoughts would be great this is gonna be my last turntable purchase for a while since I just had my first baby boy :) Thanks in advance! :music:
 
Register to hide this ad
Did you already run a search here at AK on both these models? Would be a good place to start. I had a Denon DP47F which is one model up, and it was a decent and reliable turntable. The Sony is the better of the two by far- it has a very good tonearm and the unit as a whole is very well built. However, the Sony's have had their share of problems, including speed control. Make sure if you can to confirm the Sony works as it should.
 
Yes, Amphead is right - be thorough in your homework.

I have never owned the Sony but what little I have read the PS-X75 is both the superior table and also more expensive.

We would assume the Sony is at a much higher price-point then the Denon. I own the DP-45F and have it mated with a Denon DL-301MKII cart and it is a wonderful sounding combination - for the $$$ I have invested.

You know your financial situation and what these tables will run you - so this is a decision only you can make prudently.

If it was me and both tables were in excellent cosmetic and functional condition I would buy the Denon and save the difference for more music. But that's just me!

Hopefully you can see and audition both of these tables. That would help also.

Good luck and congratulations on your first child.

3kitty
 
3Kitty has a good point. No use having a good table with no vinyl to play! And that Denon is very good at it's price point. The big plinth Denons ( 59L,60, 62L etc) get most the love here, and I had a DP-62L for some time - a very good turntable. But lesser priced Denon's kind of fly under the radar, and it seems they have had less problems than some with reliability. And they look pretty darn nice too!

Don't forget that selecting a correct cartridge to match well with the tonearm that is on the table is also very important. The tonearm mass and the compliance of the cartridge is important. A decent and likely good match for the Denon DP-45 would be a Shure M97XE. Good sound and considered a best buy. Also can be shopped for a decent price as it is carried by many, and offers a low cost for it's replacement stylus. It tracks very well, and has a sound that matches well to many different electronics and speakers. And the Denon DL-301MK2 that 3kitty is using is a killer cartridge, but is a moving-coil type with a lower output that requires a MC phono input. The Shure is the more common MM (moving-magnet) type, and less cash outlay would be required. So many choices and opinions, it is a bit bewildering for sure.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl madness:banana:

PS: Congrats on your new son, papa!
 
Last edited:
Thank you both for your input. I Like the Sony, but the price on the bay went to high for me to see it worth buying(such a shame :() The cartridge I own are Audio Technica 120E and I do own the Shure M97XE it is a very good cartridge. But, I prefer the 120E I really don't know why. I want to get a better turntable but it's hard to buy turntables on ebay the prices are supper high and it's like come on!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. But, I will keep looking in my thrift shops and good wills the only problem there is they are starting to base their prices from ebay's prices which is dumb! I own about 300 records and I just bought some Lane cabinets to store them. Its supper cool cause my son will have a hard time trying to open them :) Keeping my records safe :). Thank you 3kitty he is a hand full, but I am sure happy to be a dad :)
 
another route maybe???

Thank you both for your input. I Like the Sony, but the price on the bay went to high for me to see it worth buying(such a shame :() The cartridge I own are Audio Technica 120E and I do own the Shure M97XE it is a very good cartridge. But, I prefer the 120E I really don't know why. I want to get a better turntable but it's hard to buy turntables on ebay the prices are supper high and it's like come on!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. But, I will keep looking in my thrift shops and good wills the only problem there is they are starting to base their prices from ebay's prices which is dumb! I own about 300 records and I just bought some Lane cabinets to store them. Its supper cool cause my son will have a hard time trying to open them :) Keeping my records safe :). Thank you 3kitty he is a hand full, but I am sure happy to be a dad :)

Yea, E-bay can be a nightmare!! I personally stay away from it altogether.
I don't know where you live but I'm guessing close enough to a fair size market.

I have had very good luck by posting "Wanted" adds on some local sites - i.e. Kijiji or Craigslist...sites like that.

For example I just purchased my dream secondary deck - a Harman Kardon T60c in virtually mint shape this way. I just explained what I was looking for and let the add sit. I actually got a number of calls on 2 different decks I was interested in. You need to be a little patient but it's amazing what can come a persons way when they allow some time to go by!

It's worth a shot!!!

Good luck....with TT and child!! :banana:

3kitty
 
Here’s a look at the key features:
Denon DP-45F quartz-locked direct drive, Sony PS-X75 quartz-locked direct drive

Build dates (roughly – this affects reliability):
Denon 1985-90’s, Sony 1979-81; Denon 2 points, Sony 1 point

Price new in Australian dollars:
Denon $439 (1985), Sony $649 (1981); Denon 1, Sony 2

Wow and flutter:
Denon 0.02% WRMS, Sony 0.025%; Denon 2, Sony 1

Signal to noise ratio:
Denon -78dB weighted (DIN-B), Sony -78dB; Denon 2, Sony 2

Tonearm length (longer better, as lower tracking error):
Denon 220mm, Sony 230mm; Denon 1, Sony 2

Cartridge weights catered for (larger weight range wins):
Denon 4-9g (5g range), Sony 12-26g including headshell (14g range, or 7g range if extra counterweight missing, as they often are); Denon 1, Sony 2

Turntable weight (heavier better):
Denon 7kg, Sony 13kg; Denon 1, Sony 2

Adjustable speed with quartz lock switched off:
Denon no, Sony yes (±10%); Denon 1, Sony 2

Denon 11 points, Sony 14 points; Sony wins

The Sony is best, although it is an older model. The Denon was one of the lighter models (7kg) they produced with an electronically damped tonearm, and also didn’t have the swappable arm tubes that their best models had, and those two reasons are why I left it out of the list I gave in an earlier post. That doesn’t mean it’s not highly competent, just that it was a lower priced model in their range – sort of a midrange model. It was a late-80’s and 90’s turntable.

The Sony, on the other hand, was one of their second generation (1979 to early-80’s) Biotracer machines, and was one of their best turntables at that time, in fact, the top model in many export markets. At 13kg, it weighs almost twice as much as the DP-45F, which should give it a clear superiority in resistance to acoustic feedback and sound quality, and it will handle a much wider range of cartridge weights.

The Sony also uses Sony’s excellent SBMC anti-resonant compound for the base, which will be less resonant than the Denon’s wood base. It will cost more (as it did when new – about 50% more), and is a much more collectable machine. However, as it’s older and more complex, it may be less reliable (which I've taken into account in the scoring).
 
Kceateva: Sounds like you have the cartridge area covered. I have a Signet MK120HE, very much like the Audio Technica AT30/31 series, and I like the presentation it offers. It is a tad more on the bright side than some of the Denon's I have had, but it has lots of detail and air around instruments that I really like. And your are right - GW is pricing their donations based on Ebay watching and putting their better stuff on their auction site it would seem. Makes it harder to find a bargain these days. I live in a smaller town and their just is not many places to locate a decent used turntable period. I looked for years for a Kyocera turntable I wanted buy, and finally gave up and went the Ebay route. Got a bit lucky in that is was a fair priced "Buy it now" listing and the seller was both honest and knew how to pack for safe shipping.

Again, good luck finding a TT you like and congrats on becoming a Dad!
 
Don thank you for that break down and the scoring that helped so much :)

3 Kitty I will try that tip maybe I will get lucky :D

Amphead thank you also btw I love your profile picture it cracks me up.

So I am sticking to my budget of max 300 dollars. Just going to have to wait and keep looking and maybe go to a giant flea market. I live in California and Turntable's and vinyl records are getting more attention and more people buying them. The only problem is most of us are kids and we don't really know any tips tricks and what to look for.Example, The turntable I bought at a goodwill and use now is a Pioneer Pl-4 and the speed was supper bad luckily I found this website and started doing suggestions and it fixed the problem for the most part. I am thinking down the road I may do video's on how to fix turntables or give some tips just to help us youtube kids out.
 
I would strongly recommend the Sony PS-X75 Biotracer. The Biotracer decks are spectacular. I also strongly recommend checking the condition of the unit, to be sure everything is working properly. That model is becoming very rare these days.

I have a PS-X600, which is the 1981-84 little brother to the X75 (and is more easily available), and it's a killer deck that draws out amazing sound from even the most modest cartridges.

I really do wish Sony would bring back their Biotracer turntables. Why they choose to sell cheap $150 plastic turntables just baffles me.
 
I was thinking of maybe just going for the Ps-X600. the spec look the same unless I am missing somthing?
 
Here’s a look at the key features:
Denon DP-45F quartz-locked direct drive, Sony PS-X75 quartz-locked direct drive

Build dates (roughly – this affects reliability):
Denon 1985-90’s, Sony 1979-81; Denon 2 points, Sony 1 point

Price new in Australian dollars:
Denon $439 (1985), Sony $649 (1981); Denon 1, Sony 2

Wow and flutter:
Denon 0.02% WRMS, Sony 0.025%; Denon 2, Sony 1

Signal to noise ratio:
Denon -78dB weighted (DIN-B), Sony -78dB; Denon 2, Sony 2

Tonearm length (longer better, as lower tracking error):
Denon 220mm, Sony 230mm; Denon 1, Sony 2

Cartridge weights catered for (larger weight range wins):
Denon 4-9g (5g range), Sony 12-26g including headshell (14g range, or 7g range if extra counterweight missing, as they often are); Denon 1, Sony 2

Turntable weight (heavier better):
Denon 7kg, Sony 13kg; Denon 1, Sony 2

Adjustable speed with quartz lock switched off
:
Denon no, Sony yes (±10%); Denon 1, Sony 2

Denon 11 points, Sony 14 points; Sony wins

The Sony is best, although it is an older model. The Denon was one of the lighter models (7kg) they produced with an electronically damped tonearm, and also didn’t have the swappable arm tubes that their best models had, and those two reasons are why I left it out of the list I gave in an earlier post. That doesn’t mean it’s not highly competent, just that it was a lower priced model in their range – sort of a midrange model. It was a late-80’s and 90’s turntable.

The Sony, on the other hand, was one of their second generation (1979 to early-80’s) Biotracer machines, and was one of their best turntables at that time, in fact, the top model in many export markets. At 13kg, it weighs almost twice as much as the DP-45F, which should give it a clear superiority in resistance to acoustic feedback and sound quality, and it will handle a much wider range of cartridge weights.

The Sony also uses Sony’s excellent SBMC anti-resonant compound for the base, which will be less resonant than the Denon’s wood base. It will cost more (as it did when new – about 50% more), and is a much more collectable machine. However, as it’s older and more complex, it may be less reliable (which I've taken into account in the scoring).

I just bought a PS-X75. I do not see any pitch adjustment? :scratch2:
 
I have a DP-45 and its been with me for over 25 years, never had any major problems for the exception of needle replacement. Really nice TT, and like others have stated, just match it with the right cartridge and you will be fine.
 
I sold my PS-X75 last month to another AK member.
I enjoyed it very much and found it to be a stellar table.
Alas, I came to the realization that I had too many tables and it was one of three that went away.
The PS-X75 has Litz tonearm wire from the factory and allows the user to adjust VTA, VTF, Antiskate, and Damping on the fly.
Because of the electronic damping it can use most any cartridge that can be mounted to its headshell without worry about cartridge compliance.
One of the greatest fully auto tables IMO.

Al. Wise
 
I sold my PS-X75 last month to another AK member.
I enjoyed it very much and found it to be a stellar table.
Alas, I came to the realization that I had too many tables and it was one of three that went away.
The PS-X75 has Litz tonearm wire from the factory and allows the user to adjust VTA, VTF, Antiskate, and Damping on the fly.
Because of the electronic damping it can use most any cartridge that can be mounted to its headshell without worry about cartridge compliance.
One of the greatest fully auto tables IMO.

Al. Wise

Al I'm curious how did the Sony compare to Your JVC. I know you have a QLY55F I think you also had or have a Y66F. So how did they JVC's sound vs the Sony?
 
Al I'm curious how did the Sony compare to Your JVC. I know you have a QLY55F I think you also had or have a Y66F. So how did they JVC's sound vs the Sony?

My JVC is the QL-Y66f.
I tell you that it was a toss up. One had to go and I decided that the Sony was it.
The JVC is staying as my go to fully auto table.
I've still got the Yamaha PX-3 and the monsterous Technics SL-M3 as fully auto linear trackers. The other lookers are a Mitsubishi LT-5v and LT-640 vertical linear trackers. Oh yeah....I still have the programmable ADC Accutrac 4000 as well.

Al. Wise
 
I thought ETI's post on TT's statistics seemed off. The Denon, like most of their quartz lock TT's has a WAF of 0.012%.
 
Back
Top Bottom