• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon DP-59L Cart suggestions

GannonAlex

Active Member
Hi all... I've decided to treat my big Denon DP-59L (and my ears) to a new cart. It came set up with a new Grado red when I purchased it a few years ago and it has seen considerable use by me... it's probably time. So, anyone out there familiar with these fine TT's please suggest some options as I'm not too schooled on the 'fine art of the cart'. I would prefer to keep it under $300. Currently my DP-59L is being used with a Sansui CA-3000 preamp, Sansui BA-5000 amp, and Infinity RSIIb speakers. Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi all... I've decided to treat my big Denon DP-59L (and my ears) to a new cart. It came set up with a new Grado red when I purchased it a few years ago and it has seen considerable use by me... it's probably time. So, anyone out there familiar with these fine TT's please suggest some options as I'm not too schooled on the 'fine art of the cart'. I would prefer to keep it under $300. Currently my DP-59L is being used with a Sansui CA-3000 preamp, Sansui BA-5000 amp, and Infinity RSIIb speakers. Thanks in advance!

Do you have both tonearm wands, or just one? If so, which one?

The straight wand likes high-compliance cart/stylus pairings best; the S-wand is best with medium-compliance cart/stylus pairings. This of course doesn't mean that you can't buck the recommendations a bit... the servo-controlled tonearm will minimize tonearm/cart compatibility issues somewhat.

I don't have much experience with $300 cartridges, so can't offer much in the way of recommendations for that price range. But I am using a Signet TK7E with my DP-59L (got it in trade from another AKer). The TK7E is, I think, comparable to the current Audio Technica AT150MLX which you can find for $325 at LP Gear or Garage-A-Records. I'm happy with this setup.
 
Thanks for the suggestion..... I only have the straight tonearm wand.

I've NEVER spent $300 on a cartridge (and don't really want to now) but everything I see is SOOOOO much money.... so I figured $300 was the top of my limit. Certainly I would LOVE to entertain more affordable options if possible but an improvement over my current Grado red would be the point here I suppose.
 
Thanks for the suggestion..... I only have the straight tonearm wand.

I've NEVER spent $300 on a cartridge (and don't really want to now) but everything I see is SOOOOO much money.... so I figured $300 was the top of my limit. Certainly I would LOVE to entertain more affordable options if possible but an improvement over my current Grado red would be the point here I suppose.

You can of course consider the usual "budget" recommendations -- the Shure M97xE, Audio Technica AT440MLa, and the Ortofon 2M Red. The first two are $60 and $100 each, respectively, from Amazon.com. Either should do well in your straight tonearm wand. I haven't used a Grado cartridge, so can't say whether any of these would be 'better'. I suspect that it'll be more a matter of personal preference than one of betterment.

The Nagaoka/Tonar 555 is also often recommended (as is other Nagaoka models), but I have no personal experience with it. This goes for under $100 from LP Gear.
 
Last edited:
new card for Denon dp-59L

HI,
I sugest you a DENON DL-160 cartridge with arm all up for perfect VTA. Mine sounds great like that.
Regards,
A.Lopes
 
Thanks for the great suggestions skriefal... I needed a starting point for this. I was wondering about the Denon carts... it looks as though the DL-160 is discontinued and not available?!? BTW... welcome to AK milescol!
 
Too bad the DL-160 is discontinued... seemed a good price range for my needs. Does Denon make any current carts similar to the DL-160 in quality and price?
 
Back
Top Bottom