• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon DP47-f 17cm lead-in arm adjustment

henkjas

New Member
Hi there, greetings from a newbie on audiokarma,

I recently got a Denon DP47-f record player. It is functioning fine but I'n struggling with the arm adjustment. Using this forum I understood how I can set the lead in for 30cm records. It's quite simpel, using a small flat head screwdriver through a hole near the arm assembly. But when I have set the correct distance for 30cm, I noticed that for 45rm (17cm) the needle drops something like 2mm to far.
Now there's a small section in the sm that talks about this.

- first set the adjustment for 30 cm (i did)
- determine how much the lead in for 17 cm is off (for me +2mm)

And here starts the tricky stuff

- take off bottom cover and check the adjustment scale position
- one adjustment scale corresponds with 0.5mm
- untighten the adjustment screw holding the sub-shutter, place a small flat-headed screwdriver into the slot of the shutter
- make the adjustment, and the tighten the adjustmentscrew again

That should do it. There's a picture with it.


manual 17 cm adjustment.jpgadjustment tonearm.jpg

So I can see the sub shutter, i can see the sub shutter screw, but as you can see in the picture, the sub shutter is fixed with some glue like stuff.
I can put a flat headed screw driver in that rectangular hole (as mentioned in the sm) in the sub shutter but I cannot move it.
Also I do not see the "adjustment scale" as mentioned in the sm. The place to put the screwdriver, there seems to be nothing there.
I wonder if someone knows what to do. I did remove the small pcb above the shutter part but also did not see any scale.
Should I remove the glue stuff over the sub shutter? It seems to be missing on one side. Or am I looking in the wrong place?
I think this picture from the sm is not the same as what I am seeing in the turntable.

Here is a pictures in more detail:

adjustment tonearm4.jpg

You can see one side of the sub shutter is slightly over the edge of the plate beneath. Maybe that's what I have to work with, I'm not sure.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards, Henk
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, no replies so I just expirimented with some tweaks to the sub shutter. And the overhanging part of the sub shutter is the space you can tweak for the right setting for 17 cm (45pm singles). So the solutions is:

First set the right lead in for 30cm records. Use a small fleadhead screwdriver and follow the sm instruction. Move the arm to aprox 30cm starting point. Just put the scewdriver in the hole left from the arm-turning point. Move the arm a few cm from left to right until you feel the screwdriver "connects" then just give a small turn (someone used the term "1 o'clock turns"). And see what the result is by pressing start and see where the needle drops. (this is also mentioned somewhere else on this forum)
When you are satisfied, press start with a 17cm record on the platter. If you're needle drops a few mm to far, then fix the arm at the rest, turn the tt off, disconnect and turn the tt around. Remove the bottom cover. You have to reduce the part from the sub shutter that is overhanging, look at the picture in the previous post.

Unscrew the little sub shutter screw, then carefully free the sub shutter from the glue that is holding it in place. A small sharp knife and lots of patience is what it takes. When the sub shutter comes free, check if it's still straight, and connect it again with the sub shutter screw. Do not tighten it yet. Now you can turn the sub shutter. The sub shutter screw is the turning point. Just reduce the amount of sub shutter that is hanging over:

adjusted shutter.jpg

Then tighten te sub shutter screw again. Now close the bottom lid. And try out if your tweak gives the wanted result. If the needle drops short, you have to turn the sub shutter again letting it hang over a little bit more. It's trial and error.

The tricky part is removing the glue from the sub shutter. It is not mentioned in the sm. I'm wandering if the setting moves over time. Maybe I should fix the sub shutter again with some glue. Maybe recapping is nessecary. Anyway, I got a fully functioning TT now.

I hope this will help someone else with the same problem!

Cheers, Henk
 
Back
Top Bottom