• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon integrated amp

Ok,.....I'm moving the amp to another room, as suggested. The voltage sag/drop does sound plausible, because of the intermittent nature of the fault.
If it were a speaker short wouldn't it cause it to go into a protect mode?
 
Ok,.....I'm moving the amp to another room, as suggested. The voltage sag/drop does sound plausible, because of the intermittent nature of the fault.
If it were a speaker short wouldn't it cause it to go into a protect mode?
Yes. I thought you also tried a test disconnecting everything (speakers too) and it still did it?

My curiosity is:

#1 When the protection indicator is on, if you don't cycle power does it go off and the unit functions. Or, do you have to cycle the power to clear the fault?

#2 When you quickly turn off power when you see the protection indicator on, then you mentioned you turn it back on, I assume the indicator doesn't come on the 2nd time? How long is the amp off for before you turn it back on and don't see this protection condition?
 
The unit does not go green until its turned off and back on.
Usually the unit does not go red the 2nd time. I turn the Amp back on at various times, usually after a few seconds.
 
The unit does not go green until its turned off and back on.
Usually the unit does not go red the 2nd time. I turn the Amp back on at various times, usually after a few seconds.
Well, if it does this with nothing at all connected to it and you've tried a different outlet / circuit in your house, I would demand they replace the unit.

The power sag is a "guess" only and based on I've seen this happen once on my Yamaha A-S2000 Integrated during a near brownout condition with the AC power.

The Denon is a nice unit, unless there's something wrong with the AC circuit you have it plugged into, I can't see why the inrush would be a big deal given it's not some "monster" amplifier.

Most modern Amps do monitor line voltage though. If there's something wrong with the voltage sense circuit feeding the microprocessor, it's possible it's tripping it up when AC dips a little....
DENON-PMA-800NE-inside-1024x689.jpg
I recommend first testing it a dozen or so times on the circuit you have it plugged into, after you disconnect all other connections to the Denon (speakers, CD, tt, etc..) If it's still faulting, then try a different circuit in your house (with everything still disconnected). If on a different circuit there's still a problem (with everything still disconnected), make them replace the unit. If the problem goes away with everything disconnected, then speakers (or speaker connections) are suspect.

If on a different circuit it know longer exhibits the problem, get an electrician to investigate the suspect circuit. Could be as simple as a marginal/loose wire connection in the outlet, with higher resistance (or a worn out receptacle/outlet). This condition could also be a potential fire hazard.

Let us know whatever you discover....
 
Last edited:
I moved the amp to a different room, assuming its a different circuit. Using the D.C.M.(8 ohm) speakers it immediately went RED.

So i hooked up a pair of CHEAP (8 ohm) bookshelf speakers and as of YET...(numerous times) its not gone into RED on startup.

As a side note i replaced the drivers in the D.C.M . speakers a few years ago without doing anything to the crossovers. The drivers were replaced with direct equivalents from a reputable source and sound as they did when purchased.

Its my belief at this stage that given the circumstances its possibly a speaker (D.C.M.) related issue.

I'm going to put a newly purchased Cambridge audio Topaz SR10 Receiver (85 WPC) into the same receptacle and plug in the D.C.M. speakers to see what happens........

now join with me in saying the lords prayer......:)
 
I moved the amp to a different room, assuming its a different circuit. Using the D.C.M.(8 ohm) speakers it immediately went RED.

So i hooked up a pair of CHEAP (8 ohm) bookshelf speakers and as of YET...(numerous times) its not gone into RED on startup.

As a side note i replaced the drivers in the D.C.M . speakers a few years ago without doing anything to the crossovers. The drivers were replaced with direct equivalents from a reputable source and sound as they did when purchased.

Its my belief at this stage that given the circumstances its possibly a speaker (D.C.M.) related issue.

I'm going to put a newly purchased Cambridge audio Topaz SR10 Receiver (85 WPC) into the same receptacle and plug in the D.C.M. speakers to see what happens........

now join with me in saying the lords prayer......:)
:thumbsup: First thing, always remove as many variables as possible. Glad you have it worked out and the amp is fine. Now, figure out which of the DCM's is causing the fault and go from there.
 
The Cambridge topaz paired with the DCM's hasn't had any issues so far.

And the difference in sound between the Denon (at 50 WPC/8 ohm) and the Topaz (at 85) is
(wattage notwithstanding)
very apparent. In a good way.....

Could it be that the relatively lower power of the Denon was causing the intermittent problem on startup?
 
Could it be that the relatively lower power of the Denon was causing the intermittent problem on startup?
It shouldn't. I'd suspect an intermittent fault or marginal calibration in the amp protection circuitry that makes it detect some speakers on startup as closer to presenting a short circuit than they actually do.

Of course, that assumes there isn't actually some intermittent fault with your speakers, but if there was, I'd expect to see other evidence of it -- like going into protection whilst in use.
 
Exactly.
The DCM's are doing fine paired with the Cambridge audio topaz receiver for now. And the Denon amp has not gone into protect mode on startup (yet) since I changed speakers. I guess for now it's wait and see. Thanks.
 
Exactly.
The DCM's are doing fine paired with the Cambridge audio topaz receiver for now. And the Denon amp has not gone into protect mode on startup (yet) since I changed speakers. I guess for now it's wait and see. Thanks.
Are you sure there was no intermittent short on the wires when you had it connected to the DCM's?
 
No short I could find.
I checked connections at both ends. A short could occur at any time, not just on startup, correct?
The Denon amp only went red (protect) intermittently upon startup.
 
I'am waiting on a new set of speakers i've ordered to try them with both the Denon amp and the cambridge topaz amp/receiver.
As of now the Denon hasn't given any problems (protect mode) or otherwise whilst being used with the other cheap 8 ohm speakers.
Their is no know shortage i can tell of with the DCM's .
My only guess...(and that's all it is) is that they cause the Denon to fault because of some unknown intermittent current incompatibility issue. I've tried other good quality wires , making sure of good connections at both ends.
The DCM's have not created any problems paired with the Cambridge Topaz....so far.
 
My Denon PMA800NE plays well until I raise the volume above 1/4 on the dial, then it shuts off whether playing turntable or CD into it with 8 ohm JBLs as speaker A and Klipsch on speaker B. Any ideas will be appreciated.
 
Welcome to AK. It sounds like the Impedance may be too low.
Thank you for replying. Can you explain that for me? When playing just the JBLs or with both speakers A & B it occurs, but not when playing only into the Klipsch speakers. Maybe my old JBLs are the problem.
 
Last edited:
Yes. Not a good idea?
Yes, not a good idea.

Ok on some amplifiers, but not others. Sometimes ok with higher-impedance speakers and low volume. Often a problem with lower-impedance speakers and high volume.

If two sets of speakers run simultaneously cause a problem, but the speaker sets work ok individually, don't run two sets of speakers simultaneously.

If either of the two speaker sets run individually cause the problem, try switching the problem speaker set for another. The replacement might allow you to run both sets simultaneously, but it might not.

The general problem is that the more speakers you run simultaneously, the lower the impedance seen by the amplifier. For example, two 8 ohm sets of speakers, used simultaneously, is 4 ohms to the amplifier. The lower the impedance seen by the amplifier, the more likely you are to have problems. Some amplifiers can deal with low impedance. Some can't.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom