• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon PMA-600NE, Yamaha A-S501 or Rotel RB-850?

aij606

New Member
I'm looking to replace a cheap amp I'm currently using for my setup. From my research, I've narrowed it down to the Denon PMA-600NE and the Yamaha A-S501. Out of these two, it seems the Yamaha would be the better choice. However, I've just recently acquired a Rotel RB-850 for $15 dollars, and it seems to be in good working condition. I've tested it out and I am happy with the sound. But, the RB-850 is usually connected to the RC-850 pre-amplifier, which includes the volume control knob, bass/treble controls, and all the inputs. I don't own the RC-850, but on ebay I see an RB-850 and an RC-850 being sold together for around 300 dollars. I've found that you can use two RB-850's to power each speaker separately using a mono bridged connection (although I'm unsure what a mono bridged connection actually is, or if I'd even want to go through the trouble of setting it up). So, my question is whether I should go with the Denon PMA-600NE/Yamaha A-S501 or purchase the RB-850/RC-850 off of ebay to go along with my already purchased RB-850. If it helps any, I'm currently using a pair of Onkyo SKF-530F's, and I mostly listen to music with a Technics turntable and Nakamichi cassette deck. Thanks so much
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm looking to replace a cheap amp I'm currently using for my setup. From my research, I've narrowed it down to the Denon PMA-600NE and the Yamaha A-S501. Out of these two, it seems the Yamaha would be the better choice. However, I've just recently acquired a Rotel RB-850 for $15 dollars, and it seems to be in good working condition. I've tested it out and I am happy with the sound. But, the RB-850 is usually connected to the RC-850 pre-amplifier, which includes the volume control knob, bass/treble controls, and all the inputs. I don't own the RC-850, but on ebay I see an RB-850 and an RC-850 being sold together for around 300 dollars. I've found that you can use two RB-850's to power each speaker separately using a mono bridged connection (although I'm unsure what a mono bridged connection actually is, or if I'd even want to go through the trouble of setting it up). So, my question is whether I should go with the Denon PMA-600NE/Yamaha A-S501 or purchase the RB-850/RC-850 off of ebay to go along with my already purchased RB-850. If it helps any, I'm currently using a pair of Onkyo SKF-530F's, and I mostly listen to music with a Technics turntable and Nakamichi cassette deck. Thanks so much

Having owned a A-S500 and A-S701 in the past, I can honestly say that they are spectacular and extremely well built. I would purchase the A-S501. The Denon PMA-600NE would be a distant, distant second for me. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom