• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Denon recommendations

curtiswhite

Active Member
Need some help on some Denon TT recommendations. I use a marantz avr-7013 and Klispch Rp-800f . I had a denon dp-300f and then sold that for a Technics sl-1200 mk3D . And then everything got lost in a flood. Now back to finally rebuilding my system. So i always wanted a better Denon TT . What are some good reliable models out there. It does not necessary need that auto features .
 
Register to hide this ad
OP if you have some insurance money to spend I'd recommend starting with the earlier (1975) Denon DP-6000 or DP-7000 level for a manual table, next step up is the later (1980) DP-75 and DP-80. These are motor units but might also include a plinth and tonearm. Less costly earlier manuel tables would be the DP-5000/3000/2000.
 
I just recieved a Denon dp 75 / da 402 arm / dk 300 plyinth direct from Japan. I bought it on Reverb from Unisound. Was a little nervous about this transaction and shipping in particular.
Well it took 7 days to get here. It was so well packed it took over a half an hour to unpack it. Double boxed, platters and mat boxed and below plyinth. Arm tied down with airbags underneath it. Cover and plinth wrapped in several layers of bouble wrap and what looked like a roll of packing tape.I was definitly impressed. Packing and shipping are included in the price. I cann't say enough good about Unisound.I liked the price. They were prompt answering questions ( they are ten hours behind). On to the TT,The DP 75 is leaps and bounds ahead of my Technics sl 1700 mkii. This is probraly my last TT. If you go this way you will need a 120v to 100v step down. Good luck
 
All the Japanese sellers I have delt with have been very professional with no worry re packaging, all excellent. Some Japanese sellers have tables that were reconditioned by their techs with new caps etc. Considering what is out there new and used in the US prices are very competitive from Japan even when you figure in shipping.
 
Need some help on some Denon TT recommendations. I use a marantz avr-7013 and Klispch Rp-800f . I had a denon dp-300f and then sold that for a Technics sl-1200 mk3D . And then everything got lost in a flood. Now back to finally rebuilding my system. So i always wanted a better Denon TT . What are some good reliable models out there. It does not necessary need that auto features .

The present Denon turntables are not real Denon. To get real Denon, you have to buy a vintage real Denon, built by the original Denon company. A DP-80 or DP-100 in a nice plinth, with a nice tonearm choice is excellent.
 
As Kent said the new/newer Denon tables are not mfg in Japan to the same high standards as the vintage Denon tables, recent Denons just another rebadged table from the Hanpin Turntable Factory in Taiwan. The DP-80 is the best vintage Denon table you will find that is "affordable". According to Mr Pig the DP-80 will equal a Technics SP10Mk2 depending on the choice of plinth and tonearm. As for the DP-100, only 400 made, they are next to unobtainable and if one ever shows up $20,000+ wouldn't be an unrealistic price. The new Denon company offered the DP-100 anniversary model for $3,000, when the Hanpin tonearm was spotted on it potential buyers ran away.
 
Thanks everyone for the info. I am leaning on waiting for a 47f or a model similar. Or just get a dp-1800, 1200 or 1600. Are the 1xxx models a decent and reliable ?
 
Back
Top Bottom