• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Diagnosing rattle in b&w matrix 803 woofer

c n

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Some of you may have also seen my post on amp pairings for these b&w matrix 803 speakers, but wanted to start a dedicated thread to a problem I discovered with them. The good news is they are gorgeous and seem to be in good cosmetic shape. The bad news is that the woofer in one of them is making a buzzing/rattling noise. I associate that with a blown speaker. I tried to get a video of it here.
I've also attached photos of the speaker and the woofer pulled from the cabinet. I didn't want to do more than unscrew it and take some photos since I don't know what I'm doing. The rubber pad thing that covers the screws around the woofer was pulled up when I got it (see photo) so I screwed the woofer in a bit and pushed the rubber in before testing it.

If relevant, the receiver is underpowered for the speakers but has only been hooked up for this test play. The speaker wire is also too thick for the terminal in the receiver so it's kind of just jammed in there with a few loose/splayed strands. None touching other speaker wire though.

I tried swapping speaker wire from left to right speaker and it was still present in the same spraker, which I believe rules out a speaker wire or receiver issue. I also tried swapping the speaker wire input from the left two inputs to the right two, and it made no difference.

I also pressed the woofer from the outside and it felt normal, soft, and smooth. I confirmed the woofer is not loose in the cabinet.

The red cable jumper wire fell out in transport and I had to put it back in. I believe I attached it correctly though I've never used one of those before.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? Any easy next steps to try aside from take it to a repair shop?
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20261003_204829792.jpg
    PXL_20261003_204829792.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20261003_204757689.jpg
    PXL_20261003_204757689.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20261004_024701566.jpg
    PXL_20261004_024701566.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20261003_204941587.jpg
    PXL_20261003_204941587.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20261004_035833672.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035833672.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20261004_035845884.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035845884.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20261004_035859685.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035859685.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20261004_035919847.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035919847.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20261004_035925374.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035925374.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20261004_040417942.jpg
    PXL_20261004_040417942.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 11
Register to hide this ad
The cable loom looks like it might be close to the magnet, maybe rock the speaker back see if the rattle goes, pin the cables to the side or wrap in foam.
 
Check to see if the dust cap is loose or if the spider is detached.

Yes, and check the surround, where it joins to the cone and to the frame.

Also, check the flexible lead wires, coming out of the cone to the terminals. Make sure they're not hitting the frame, the spider, or the back of the cone.

While you're checking the lead wires- check the terminals themselves. I've had a loose terminal and/or terminal mounting plate cause rattles.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom