• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dial cord slipping. Radio Shack SW-100 Radio. Help!

vestaviascot

New Member
I spend most of a whole day yesterday trying to figure this out. The dial cord system has a central gear where the dial cord spring and stay is, then the tuning knob stylus and two small rollers each with a small and a larger bobbin holder. I finally figured out how to wind the cord on those bobbins in order to get full travel of the tuning indicator across the entire band.

It starts out fine with tuning from the side it was strung on, however, when it gets to about 3/4 to the other side, it starts to get very hard to turn and then when I try to go back the other way it slips.

I've tried to file the tuning stylus area to give the string more grip and also tightened the string as much as i can by loosening the screws holding the two small rollers while stringing and then tightening the screws when strung to make the string banjo tight. Nothing seems to work. Same effect every time.

I checked the Sams Dial String PDF but it doesn't even list Radio Shack, Realistic, Tandy, etc. It also appears to be the same as "Venturer 2959-4LW", "Rhapsody RY-610"
 
Register to hide this ad
I've seen a few, not many with an extra hole or pin on the big pulley for spring tension. One had a small guide pully that adjusted. Many dial indicators slide along a rail, usually above the dial. You might try cleaning any old oil or grease from if it was used.
 
Quick Google search "tuner dial string slipping audiokarma" got me this...links may not work but I think you get the idea...

Tuner string slipping cure | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo ...
audiokarma.org › ... › Forums › Audiokarma DIY › DIY

Jun 25, 2016 - I tried some orthodontic wax (beeswax) on a tuner string that was slipping. Tried cleaning it but still slipped. Just a little wax rubbed on it and works like a champ! You can buy ortho wax anywhere at any drugstore.
Dial string slipping | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo ...
Dec 24, 2017
Where to buy tuner dial cord string | Audiokarma Home Audio ...
Oct 21, 2006
slipping dial cord | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo ...
Sep 22, 2009
Tuner String (Dial Cord): What to Use | Audiokarma Home ...
Oct 2, 2009
More results from audiokarma.org
 
I'll try to upload a few pics later. After watching several "dial cord" repair videos today, I'm thinking that there are two main issues that are contributing to my issue. One, since it works fine in one direction, right to left (high frequency to low), I'm thinking I don't have sufficient spring tension when I start the winding. I'm pulling the main tuning disc tight, but I'm not pulling the spring out any, I believe I need to have that spring under maybe 1/3 tension (so its 1/3 longer than its resting length) in order to keep enough tension on the string when its wound in the clockwise direction.

Secondly, I think all the fiddling with the string has introduced oil from my hands and I think I need to clean it with some rubbing alcohol and then apply something to help it grip - someone above said beeswax, I've also hear that violin rosin works too. I have some solder rosin on hand, perhaps that will work? Its damn sticky that's for sure.

Thanks for all the help.
 
Back
Top Bottom