• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Did you replace your original record collection with CD's

Did you replace your original record collection with CD's

  • Yes, bought my collecion all over again

  • Started replacing but never finished

  • Only my favorite albums

  • No, kept my legacy records and bought new albums on CD's

  • Kept my records, never bought CD's

  • Replaced the ones that were available on CD and kept the rest on Vinyl


Results are only viewable after voting.

Condorsat

Audio Enthusiast
CD's came out in the early to mid 80's. Originally, I planed to replace my record collection. The prices per CD at the time made me rethink my original inclination.

Some years earlier, I had started replacing my High School 8 Track collection with LP's and then I was suppose to start over again. :confused:

I started replacing some but got tired of paying top dollar to replace albums I already had. So I just bought greatest hits and other compilation CD's. Dubbed many of my favorite records to cassette to play in the car.

Anyway .. bottom line .. long story short .. in the end .. never replaced my original Vinyl collection.
 
Register to hide this ad
i didnt start listening to CDs until 1995 when i bought a new car that had a 6 CD player in it so i bought a couple of my favorites and really enjoyed it in my car, eventually bought a player for home and bought a bunch of my favorites, i stopped buying records then and would buy CD's for anything new, and eventually put my records and receiver, turntable in storage for about 10 years that was when i got married and had kids, after they were a bit older i brought it back out and the vintage vinyl bug hit me hard and my income had increased quite a bit and i have added about 300 records to my collection and an ungodly amount of gear. i very seldom listen to CD's anymore and am glad i put the records in storage and didnt get rid of them
 
Couldnt vote, no choice for kept my records, bought more and didn't buy CD's.

Purchased a new stereo system in 1991 including plunking down $1000 on a CD player. Purchased a few CD's, was so underwhelmed by the SQ I gave up on the medium until 2013. So no, my record collecting never stopped, and it won't until I'm dead and cremated, buried, or nuked into tomorrow by the apocalypse lol.
 
Last edited:
I'm always way behind the technology curve, the first CD player I bought was in 97 at Circuit City and I grabbed Nirvana In Utero from the bargain bin so I had something to play with it. I never thought of getting rid of my tapes and records. And between the old lady and I, we probably only have 100 CD's left, and probably 60 of those are hers. For what ever reason I just never really got into collecting them.
 
Basically I never sold my records, they just dwindled down with moves and girlfriends. I never even bought CDs until the mid 90s for portable players and car stereos. I still had a few records that stayed with me since new, but really I never had a ton of records anyway 30 or so. I would guess back in the day I had records, cassettes and the radio, as a teen, records, radio, 8tracks and then cassettes.

I did have a small little run of buying CDs new around the mid to late 90s as I said for car and portable use. All of those are long gone, stolen out of a car. Today I have more CDs than I ever had buying them used, once in awhile a new one.

For a long run I dropped off the map of really having a home system and most music listening was in the car, or a portable player. Today things have changed a lot, I have a major home system, an insane amount of records, far more CDs than I need, and don't listen to music much in the car, nor do I have a need for a portable player.
 
My entire vinyl record collection was stolen out of storage in Florida and did not realize this until months later. I replaced a lot of the vinyl with with CD's and started buying vinyl again about ten years ago. So my CD collection is more substantial than vinyl.
 
There’s no choice for replaced the ones that were available on CD and kept the rest. I bought my first CD player in 1988 and started by buying new releases, though I sometimes bought new releases on LP if I had all or most of the earlier albums on LP. So, I have the B-52’s Cosmic Thing on LP. But most everything else I got that was new in 1989 was on CD.

Eventually I started to rebuy things I had on LP that were available, but I was 16 in 1988, so my collection wasn’t that big. I bought the Buzzcocks Product box set and eventually gave away my LP copy of Singles Going Steady. I bought the Cramps’ albums when they came out on CD and got rid of the records.

But a lot of the Ramones albums didn’t come out on CD in a decent mastering until 2001, so I kept them all. I only bought Clash albums hodgepodge on CD. I bought the Clash on Broadway box set, and then bought most of the original albums used in the early 2000s and kept all of my LPs.

Luckily, I haven’t had to rebuy too many, though I now own three copies of Singles Going Steady. First I bought the 3 Men With Beards reissue a bunch of years ago. Then last year, I bought the new Domino pressing. About two weeks later, I found a first pressing (cut by George Peckham) for a good price and grabbed it.
 
Ironically .. I bought into CD players early (1985) .. my first was a Pioneer PDM802 Cartridge CD Player. You could fit six CD's per cartridge (my player had two slots for cartridges) and had option to play randomly like a "jukebox". I remember being impressed with the dead quite background of Redbook CD format (no tape hiss or record noise). Did not like the fact that volume levels on CD's were not constant. PITA to change the volume levels all the time in random song selection mode.

My second CD spinner was a Pioneer CLD S350 Laser-disc player .. which apparently had a decent DAC in it .. at the time (early 90's). Actually sounded good to my ears. Hooked it up years latter and listened again .. actually did sound good for a player from the early 90's.

My Vinyl rig during those years was not that great .. was using a Technics SL3 TT with an entry level P mount cart. Did not want to spend much money on Vinyl .. at the time .. thought it would go the route of the 8 Track format .. which disappeared over night. Hind site being 20/20 .. wish I had bought a better TT back in 1985 (my first real 2 ch stereo purchase).
 
Last edited:
I started out thinking I would re-purchase everything I had, but it seemed to be not only costly but wasteful. And, after listening to many, many CD's, I decided I did not really love the sound or the format very much. To me, my record collection is like a library of old books; something I treasure even if I don't listen to them all the time. CD's don't have the same appeal to me.
 
I'm a Vinyl guy myself .. but my :hug: of the format didn't happened until the dollar bin days of the early 00's. Vinyl was plentiful and inexpensive at the thrifts & record stores at the time. Eventually went all in.
 
I was forced to convert all my LPs to CDs, if I wished to have a choice in my selection of playing music in the early eighties when CD`s/players arrived.
I had about 150 LP`s, a B&O Beogram 4002 LT turntable, but when I lost the use of my left hand/arm in late 1981, it became apparent that I was going to be very undesirably rough on my well taken care of pristine Albums trying to remove them from their sleeve, outer jacket, place on the TT, remove, and then try to return the LP back into it`s inner sleeve, much less get it back in the outer jacket, without someone around to assist me or to instruct them, if no already savvy on my OCD`g proper handling, cleaning of LPs..

So when CD`s/player`s arrived a few years later, I whole heartedly embraced them, for all the reasons outlined above, plus the noise free playback, needle wear, & cleaning before use, & no needing to flip sides during playback of the album..

LP`s value was plummeting, even pristine LP`s, in the mid eighties, so I seeked out CDs as they became available of all my LP title`s & was lucky that I received a buck, for each towards the often used CD of the same title when found, or could be new ordered, if not in stock.

I kept going to my local used record/CD store, & buying more, and more titles of my incomplete in 1981 LP collection, and discovering new artists, new releases..

I still purchase today a new, or used CD, but all of my CD`s have been WAV. ripped to 3 different laptop`s 1 Terabyte SSD + external backup SSD, & (2) 1 Terabyte Flash drives..

I`m very happy with my low to no failure prone electromechanical, optical dependent, all day whole house music playback.
I still have all my CD`s to re-rip, if all my digital music file`s backup method`s somehow fail.

Though, I would possibly still purchase, & play LP`s today if my physical limitations hadn`t dictated otherwise, but CD`s, WAV. rip would still be part of my music playback choice`s.
 
I only had a small collection of vinyl when I was younger. Around 30-40 maybe. Never had a good system at the time. When cd's came out I bought a mid-fi system so I could better enjoy the new technology. Since I got rid of my turntable, the records that I did have were put into storage for about 10 yrs.
Bought a really nice system in 94. "Audio Research- Linn-Sonus Faber-REL" Still a cd based system. Was around the early 2000's that I got back into playing vinyl again when I purchased a VPI classic.
My vinyl collection has grown to around 2000 records. I don't buy cd's much now unless I can't get it on vinyl. I still enjoy cd sound for the most part but vinyl, to my ears is better. I do own more turntables than cd players.
 
I did not want to get into CDs until changers became available. I got the Sony carousel listed in my sig. I got rid of my vinyl and bought CDs when I could get them used or by signing my friends to my CD club (remember those?). If I wanted new music, I bought it on CD. I have a handful of LPs that I love dearly and have not found on any other format, so I followed the advice of two friends who did not know each other and kept my turntable even though I ripped those LPs to digital. I find that I rarely need to hear an album more than once, so I started streaming via Amazon Music Unlimited HD. I do most of my listening through a sound bar lately, so that is working for me.
 
I couldn't figure out how to vote. I have and continue to buy everything. Mostly tag sales and flea market purchases, so a lot of bang for the buck. I currently own thousands of records, thousands of cd's, thousands of cassettes and hundreds of eight tracks and reel to reel tapes. Nothing replaced anything else. I listen to them all as the mood pushes me. I probably have multiple copies of much of my stuff, but I'm so disorganized, I hardly ever notice. Gonna be one hell of a tag sale when I kick the bucket. My wife loves to tell me she's going to dump everything into the front yard for a quarter each...and that includes gear.
 
I couldn't figure out how to vote. I have and continue to buy everything. Mostly tag sales and flea market purchases, so a lot of bang for the buck. I currently own thousands of records, thousands of cd's, thousands of cassettes and hundreds of eight tracks and reel to reel tapes. Nothing replaced anything else. I listen to them all as the mood pushes me. I probably have multiple copies of much of my stuff, but I'm so disorganized, I hardly ever notice. Gonna be one hell of a tag sale when I kick the bucket. My wife loves to tell me she's going to dump everything into the front yard for a quarter each...and that includes gear.

Does she realize she`s going to mostly blow financial were with all, by dumping a fraction of all their worth.
She`s have no return on the value of patience ?
I`ve no family, to descend my HQ A/V equipment resale, but all estate parties are well advised, so if they chose to screw them self`s, oh well !!

I`ll be worm food, and had advised them well in advance, and if they wish to be super stupid, post my demise, then they can contemplate their missed opportunities, upon discovery!!
 
Back
Top Bottom