• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Difference between 6sn7 and 6sl7 tubes?

I have a yaqin cd-3 tube amp and I have been experimenting with different tube's. The amp calls for two 6sn7 tubes but I stumbled upon a pair of nos he 6sl7gt tubes for free that I put in and they sound really good. I guess my question is should I take these tubes out? Is there anything I should be worried about running a 6sl7 when it the amp is setup for a 6sn7 I was under the assumption that the only difference is the gain of these tubes?
 
Register to hide this ad
6sl7 has more gain and about double the plate resistance. More voltage output, but less current capability. Fairly similar to the difference between a 12au7 and a 12ax7. Pinout is the same, but the operating points are not. it might work, but it may not work entirely right with the wrong tube in there.
 
6sl7 has more gain and about double the plate resistance. More voltage output, but less current capability. Fairly similar to the difference between a 12au7 and a 12ax7. Pinout is the same, but the operating points are not. it might work, but it may not work entirely right with the wrong tube in there.
Is there any danger keeping them in? They sound far better than the stock tubes? I just don't want to break something, I will pull them out of that's the case?
 
These are two completely different tubes? You cannot replace one with another - circuit will not work properly.
 
luckily those are pretty plentiful. Tons of things used them, often in TV duty, and NOS shouldn't be all that hard to fine. They are in current production too if you'd like to go that route. If you were anywhere nearby I'd loan you some to try out. I've got a pile of them and nothing I currently own uses them.
 
Back
Top Bottom