• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Different pinouts for the same transistor

62vauxhall

Addicted Member
In looking to replace 2SA850 / 2SC1735 pairs, I discovered something that was a bit confusing. I found only a single online 2SA850 data sheet and that indicated a B-C-E pinout. But, the component testing device I used displayed a B-E-C pinout.

I posed the question to Google and Google AI provided this bit of info:

The 2SA850 is a classic Silicon PNP epitaxial transistor housed in a TO-92 (or elongated TO-92L) package
, commonly manufactured by brands like Mitsubishi and Toshiba

When looking directly at the flat side of the transistor with the leads pointing downwards, the pinout order from left to right is B - C - E (Base, Collector, Emitter), though some historic circuit schematics note a B - E - C physical circuit configuration depending on the exact variant or regional manufacturing standard.
 
Register to hide this ad
Is there a suffix by chance? I've run into that a couple times before where different suffix letters indicated a different pinout rather than just an HFE range difference or whatever.

The graphics on the transistors themselves are too faint to be legible. The entry on the KA3500 parts list is:

2SA850 description from KA3500 service manual.PNG

This is what came up when I searched using the term "2SA850 data sheet".


1790011572827.png
 
Thanks. If that line diagram is in the service manual available on HFE, I overlooked it.

I did see however, the silkscreened diagram on the PC board but was uncertain of how to interpret it.

Kenwood KA3500 Q20 and R49.PNG

I am about to create another thread with a question about R49 just below Q20.
 
If that line diagram is in the service manual available on HFE, I overlooked it.
that is not in the sm. i had to scour the web for it a few years back.

i came up with a saying to help me remember:

'thru the base, to the emitter.'

q20 needs replaced as well.

r49 is a 2watt 4.7 ohm metal film. it's part of the snubber network that keeps the amp from oscillating.

what's your question?
 
that is not in the sm. i had to scour the web for it a few years back.

i came up with a saying to help me remember:

'thru the base, to the emitter.'

q20 needs replaced as well.

r49 is a 2watt 4.7 ohm metal film. it's part of the snubber network that keeps the amp from oscillating.

what's your question?

Yes, I have replacements coming for Q20/Q19 & Q18/Q17.

Question is contained in this other thread:

 

Thanks, I will keep that handy.

A few years ago I persued reviving a Sony TA1150 integrated. It had symbols silkscreened at transistor positions but different than those in this Kenwood.

This is that symbol at Q402 on that Sony board. Despite it having an E-hole indicated, I found the symbol frustratingly confusing because at some positions, the E was obliterated.

Sony TA-1150 Q402 silkscreened symbol.JPG
 
Thanks, I will keep that handy.

A few years ago I persued reviving a Sony TA1150 integrated. It had symbols silkscreened at transistor positions but different than those in this Kenwood.

This is that symbol at Q402 on that Sony board. Despite it having an E-hole indicated, I found the symbol frustratingly confusing because at some positions, the E was obliterated.

View attachment 3841404

Don't trust circuit board screen printing. Always verify.
 
Back
Top Bottom