• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Digital standards still shaking out, but analog is still king!

redcoates7

still learning...
Some interesting reading on the fate of DAB and Digital Radio in the UK from The Register;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/22/digital_future_is_not_dab/

What I find amazing is the number of consumers that have never switched to DAB, and should formats change will be glad they didn't!

While the additional content available on digital broadcasting is attractive, there's just no OTA substitute for a really great quality Stereo Analog presentation on FM (Completely agree that a good online stream at 192 kbps or higher can get close, but we're talking over the air here)
 
Register to hide this ad
A little late to this thread, but, my FM analog experience even goes beyond DAB vs Analog FM. I think my low end MCS 3701 (NEC built) vernier type analog tuner sounds better than Digitally Synthesized FM tuners. I have had some pretty impressive digital tuners, such as a high end Yamaha, an excellent Onkyo 4000 series and an amazing for 10 bucks Technics ST-S8 (I think) tuner. Somehow, my current MCS 3 gang vernier tuner seems to have more depth and detail. Not being an engineer, I am guessing that the digital synthesis process may blend the channels or compress the output to minimize broadcast noise or, I just like old fashioned flywheels, strings and horizontal analog station displays. Anybody with actual knowledge of FM be able to validate or dispel my observation?
 
Not being an engineer, I am guessing that the digital synthesis process may blend the channels or compress the output to minimize broadcast noise or, I just like old fashioned flywheels, strings and horizontal analog station displays. Anybody with actual knowledge of FM be able to validate or dispel my observation?
Well, maybe for some low end digital tuners :-) Every tuner sounds a bit different, I have a few of them in my collection:-)
Digital tuners can generate higher phase noise in the local oscillator so that is what you are probably referring too
What yamaha tuner are you referring too? Certain yamaha tuners, T-80,T-85,TX-1000,2000 etc use a AFC technique that removes the PLL/digital synthesis process of generating the tuning voltages, they call it CSL, a special Sanyo part, LC7210
I use a T-85, I can not hear the difference in PLL/AFC mode, I guess I could do some measurements to see if the instruments can show any difference in specs.
Analog tuners have the ability to tune off center which can help in reducing adjacent channel interference. There downfall is that they are mechanical and contacts oxidize, so they slowly deteriorate and can cause problems.
i do not have a MCS3701 schematic, but it will be Japanese parts of that era, Hitachi, Sanyo or NEC parts
 
Back
Top Bottom