• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dimensions for AR dustcover

tinkerwalsh

New Member
Hey - Ive been trying to get a dust cover for my AR77XB turntable. Seems like my best option will be to get one made up from a plastic manufacture in in halifax, nova scotia. Ive taken the outside measurements of the table and was just planning on having a 5 sided box made up. looking at the original dust cover online - I see that it had a flared flange at the bottom. Seemingly a little more complicated to build.

Im wondering what you all think about just building a box and setting it on top or should I try to make the dust cover like the original with the flange? I am also wondering if anyone could send over the dimensions for there AR dust cover as a reference.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Since I was the one suggesting a locally made one, I suppose it's on me to get the measurements. ;)

After breakfast...

The "stepped" sides would be tricky. What I have seen done on custom AR covers is a regular simple box, but with little 45 degree inserts in the corners. Maybe someone else has pics of their version; I just have an original.
 
Ok, here's what I have.

Outside dimensions are 42.5cm x 32.5cm x 7.5cm. Inside are 42 x 32. Effective inside height should be at least 65mm, clearing the tonearm nicely.

The flange is about 2cm wide (top to bottom), but I doubt you will go this route. If you install corner brackets, inset them slightly from the bottom edge so the cover overlaps the base. The 7.5cm dimension includes 1cm of overlap.

I'd suggest acrylic. It's not as strong as polycarbonate but more scratch resistant. It will be strong enough even in thin stock. When I've had covers made I get them to round over the edge just a touch. It looks more professional I think.
 

Attachments

  • 20190329_094535-1209x1612.jpg
    20190329_094535-1209x1612.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 22
Since I was the one suggesting a locally made one, I suppose it's on me to get the measurements. ;)

After breakfast...

The "stepped" sides would be tricky. What I have seen done on custom AR covers is a regular simple box, but with little 45 degree inserts in the corners. Maybe someone else has pics of their version; I just have an original.

whoa! this is awesome. :)
Thank you so much for sending over this info!! I took some measurements of the base of my TT and they are pretty inline with what you send. But I like these 45s to catch the corners. Seems like a nice detail. And I agree the flange seems like too much.

Thanks a million for the help!
 
Have you seen the one on eBay ? I bought one and it is extremely nice.

Hey John - Ive seen the one on ebay. Because I am in Canada it would cost close to $400 to get it here. I dont really have that kind of bread to spend on a dust cover. So im trying to come up with a cheaper option.

Thanks tho!
 
Back
Top Bottom