• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Disco Buggin' - What Do You Get Down To?

KeninDC

Hazy Cosmic Jive
I make a short (40 - 50 mins) CDR comp for my kids and cousins every summer for our annual beach trip.

In the past, we've done "AM Gold," "Goofy Greats," "Funk," and "Car Tunes."

This year, it is disco, and I need your help. I'm looking for genuine disco, not funk (yeah, I know, there is some overlap). In other words, I want Kool & the Gang's "Ladies Night," not "Jungle Boogie." Can you dig?

Besides "Ladies Night," I've got the following tunes on my list to give you an idea where I am heading:

Chic - "Le Freak"
Lipps Inc. - "Funky Town"
EW&F - "Let's Groove"
A Taste of Honey - "Boogie Oogie Oogie"
Bee Gees - "You Should Be Dancing"

What's your fave disco song? And, if you feel like it, why? Let's have some fun and blow our minds again.

BTW, if you're still in "disco sucks" mode, stay the heck outta my thread. Only positive vibes on this dance floor, baby.

Ken
 
Register to hide this ad
I love disco, Ken (and not afraid to admit it!): Anyone crapping on disco in this thread will regret it! :smoke:

I could give you my favorites (and may do that later when I get back home), but in the mean time, I will just direct you to the 100 Greatest Disco Songs list. :banana:
 
Oooh... Thelma Houston. Forgot about her.

Nice list - a little bit of funk and soul (e.g., Harold Melvin) creeps in, but it certainly jogs my memory.
 
OH.. and since the Hustle was kind of the start of the craze.. kinda hard to leave that off, and Ohio Players, Roller Coaster.
 
Yo Ken,

So, so many. Just about anything performed by the following:

Gloria Gaynor
Donna Summer
B.T. Express (1975 +)
K.C. & The Sunshine Band
Barry White / Love Unlimited Orchestra
A Taste Of Honey
Cameo (a personal favorite)
Evelyn King
Hues Corporation
Heatwave
Rare Gems Odyssey (another favorite)
The Richie Family
 
I've been known to throw on a bit of the Gap Band or Brothers Johnson from time to time, but that might be more funk than disco.
 
I've got "Le Freak" as my Pandora radio station at work today.

While I'd like to include Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby," her sexy moans (playing now at low volume) may be a tad too much for the kids and grandparents.
 
While I'd like to include Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby," her sexy moans (playing now at low volume) may be a tad too much for the kids and grandparents.
I just found the extended (disco) version of "Love to Love You Baby" on LP - it is 17 freaking minutes long. :thmbsp:

I am putting that on in a minute once Donald Fagen's Nightfly is done playing.

PS! I'm gonna turn it up, too - should give the neighbors something to reflect upon!
 
I would think Disco Inferno by the Trammps would be a must-have.

Ray
 
George McRae “Rock Your Baby.” Those high notes he hits at the end give me goosebumps every time. :thmbsp:
 
Great suggestions. I would have overlooked some classics such as Sister Sledge (the sisters were in Chic at one time).

And the "Hustle" sure was catchy.

As for those nice young men from the "village," I'm leaning toward "Macho Man" rather than the more obvious "YMCA."

Burn, baby, burn...
 
Donna Summer-Last Dance(and/or Sunset People)
McFadden and Whitehead-Aint No Stopping Us Now
Silver Convention(sp?)-Get Up and Boogie
Sylvester-(You Make Me Feel)Mighty Real
Michael Jackson-Off The Wall(or Dont Stop Till You Get Enough)
KC and the Sunshine Band-Im Your Boogie Man
Fran Jolie-Come to Me
The Jacksons-Shake Your Body(Down To The Ground)
Dr. Buzzards Original Savannah Band-Cherchez La Femme/Si Si Bon

Jimmy
 
Commodores ~ Lady (You Bring Me Up)
Mary Jane Girls ~ In My House
Diana Ross ~ Upside Down
Rick James ~ Super Freak
The Temptations ~ Treat Her Like a Lady
Rockwell ~ Somebody's Watching Me
 
Here are some ideas:
Chic Le Freak
Donna Summer Let's Dance
Diana Ross Why Do Fools Fall In Love
Kool & the Gang Celebration
Commodores Machine Gun
Commodores Brick House
Fly Robin Fly Silver Convention
Get Up and Boogie Silver Convention
Honey Bee Gloria Gaynor
Never Wanna Say Goodbye Gloria Gaynor
More More More Andrea True Connection
Knock on Wood Amii Stewart
Heart of Glass Blondie

There is one song that pre-dates disco by a few years. It is called Where Did Are Love Go by Donnie Elbert. Great cover of the Diana Ross & the Supremes song. Great bass beat to that song!
 
Might be more funky, but I've always liked that Silver Convention song "You Turn Me On (But You Can't Turn Me Off)" - think that's the right title.
Have fun on the floor
Mike
 
I had to come and check the laptop.

Andrea True - More, More, More
Bee Gees - Night Fever, Stayin' Alive
Donna Summer - Love to Love You
KC & The Sunshine Band - That's the Way I live It, Get Down Tonight, Shake, Shake, Shake Your Booty
Maxine Nightingale - Right Back Where We Started From
MSOP - TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia)
Rose Royce - Car Wash
Love Unlimited Orchestra - Love's Theme
 
Back
Top Bottom