• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DIY Altec A7's?

Suicide Bobb

Technics Nut-Hugger :)
These speakers are my dream speakers...Yet they are so far out of my price range :( That's why I'm wondering how much it would cost (estimate) to build a pair, meaning building the cabinets and crossovers from scratch and throwing in whatever drivers would best suit the application. I think I now have the necessary skills to build the cabinets and crossovers, I just don't know exactly what I need. Does anyone think this is a feasible DIY? I could have sworn I heard somewhere about DIY A7's...
 
Register to hide this ad
hi Suicide Bobb!

i'm not a loudspeaker expert but keep in mind you'll invest a lot of time designing cabinets and crossovers and getting parts (if you can find them) or similar.

you can build an Altec a7 cabinet replica but without proper parts (speaker and crossover) you won't get that Altec A7 sound, it's okay if you can live with that, i personally do.

here you have some cabinet plans and other stuff, hope it helps:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/plans/1968-plans.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/specs/components/416-8b.htm

good luck and keep this post alive!
 
cost? doesn't matter the cost, they sell A7's for 4000$ EACH!

you can build a pair for 1000$ - 1500$, depending on how much you want to spend on wood and parts

any DIY speaker build guy out there? maybe iim talking too much
 
cost? doesn't matter the cost, they sell A7's for 4000$ EACH!

you can build a pair for 1000$ - 1500$, depending on how much you want to spend on wood and parts

any DIY speaker build guy out there? maybe iim talking too much

Shoot...that's way far out of my budget :(

I found some homemade ones on craigslist earlier for $700. Much more feasible, but still out of my range.

Oh well. Someday...
 
cost? doesn't matter the cost, they sell A7's for 4000$ EACH!

you can build a pair for 1000$ - 1500$, depending on how much you want to spend on wood and parts

any DIY speaker build guy out there? maybe iim talking too much

I put together a very nice pair, very nice original 828 cabs, late dampened 511B horns, 802 8G compression drivers and 416 8C woofers and I thinl I had 1500-1600 in them. It can be done cheaper, but I looked for the best parts I could find, condition wise.

Several have built the cabs, I'd find an original pair, much easier and cheaper.

Russellc
 
Shoot...that's way far out of my budget :(

I found some homemade ones on craigslist earlier for $700. Much more feasible, but still out of my range.

Oh well. Someday...

Just do it step at the time. start with the best bargains you can find on a pair of woofers or compression drivers. Then the other as money and bargain finding allows. Then get your horns, several inexpensive wave guides could be used in the interim, until you find your 811 or 511 horns. Cobble together the Zilch model 19 crossover. Once thats all together, build a 6 to 8 cu ft box aand use it in that until you find A-7 boxes,

Slow and steady wins the race.

Russellc
 
Just do it step at the time. start with the best bargains you can find on a pair of woofers or compression drivers. Then the other as money and bargain finding allows. Then get your horns, several inexpensive wave guides could be used in the interim, until you find your 811 or 511 horns. Cobble together the Zilch model 19 crossover. Once thats all together, build a 6 to 8 cu ft box aand use it in that until you find A-7 boxes,

Slow and steady wins the race.

Russellc

Thanks Russell, sounds like a plan!
 
I've seen more than one set of A7 cabinets offered by AK members in the past, as well as links posted to CL offerings around the country. Your info doesn't say where you're from, there could be a pair lurking near you right now.
 
Wow, some of those prices mentioned looked very high. Picked up a set of A-7s about a year ago for $750 - the ones with the bracing on the back of the 828 cab. 808A drivers, EV 15L woofers, and a 'spare' set of 421LFs that need recone (original to the cabs). Plus the dude threw in a homemade 816 cab.

I'd suggest that going the DIY wouldn't be so bad and you might end up with a better system. Over 25 years ago two buddies of mine built some 828 cabs and were very much as good as true Altecs - and they were highschoolers working a the garage.

So, prehaps be patient for the real Altecs to come along at a good price; or if your woodworking skills are good, start making your own cabinets....they really aren't that difficult to make if you can use a saw. Then look for scores on drivers and 511s.

Just FYI, I've used Dayton 15" MI speakers in some 816 cabs and they perform extremely well. Though I'd like to get my hands on some 515Gs for the A-7s, there are suitable replacements that'll keep you within budget.

So to answer your question, it is a feasible DIY project - if you have skills and patience to score the drivers a good cost.
 
Wow, some of those prices mentioned looked very high. Picked up a set of A-7s about a year ago for $750 - the ones with the bracing on the back of the 828 cab. 808A drivers, EV 15L woofers, and a 'spare' set of 421LFs that need recone (original to the cabs). Plus the dude threw in a homemade 816 cab.

I'd suggest that going the DIY wouldn't be so bad and you might end up with a better system. Over 25 years ago two buddies of mine built some 828 cabs and were very much as good as true Altecs - and they were highschoolers working a the garage.

So, prehaps be patient for the real Altecs to come along at a good price; or if your woodworking skills are good, start making your own cabinets....they really aren't that difficult to make if you can use a saw. Then look for scores on drivers and 511s.

Just FYI, I've used Dayton 15" MI speakers in some 816 cabs and they perform extremely well. Though I'd like to get my hands on some 515Gs for the A-7s, there are suitable replacements that'll keep you within budget.

So to answer your question, it is a feasible DIY project - if you have skills and patience to score the drivers a good cost.

Thanks!

I guess what that really leaves now is...How do they sound? I mean, I have heard raves about them, but is it all hype? To be dead honest, 75% of why I like them is for their looks :D How sensitive are they, how much power can they handle, and are they harsh? I know most horns are. Also, how's the bass? As in loudness and low frequency extension.

Last question...how do they compare to La Scala's? I may be able to get my hands on a pair for $600...

Thanks for all your help guys!
 
600$ for La Scala?...

...catch'em all!!! ;)

put your A7 clone project into "unresolved DIY projects folder" and think of La Scala's as feasible purchase!
 
600$ for La Scala?...

...catch'em all!!! ;)

put your A7 clone project into "unresolved DIY projects folder" and think of La Scala's as feasible purchase!

Sounds like a plan! He also has a pair of ESS AMT-1's for $350, but as much as I like those, I have always wanted a pair of Klipsch La Scala's/Belle's/K-Horn's :)

The Scala's may be able to calm my anticipation for the A7's down. We will see!
 
I'm sure you'll hear many opinions about the A-7s....so let me start:

I think they're fantastic. (haven't heard with 802 HF drivers or the older 416 LFs).

Been using them for bands since highschool and at home and they still send shivers down my spine. Not sure why many new speakers don't do that for me - likely because the Altecs have a certain 'sound' to them. Folks will say they're not perfect, but that's up to the listener.

They won't hit those very low notes inside....outdoors they're much better balanced. And they can take as much power as you need to get them to ear-splitting levels (and they play soft nicely too). Very efficient so not much power needed.

Regarding harshness, make sure you dampen the horns. They'll ring like a tuning fork when mounted on top the 828. I have several sets of 511s and either have them in fully enclosed MDF boxes or put cloth or molding clay over the top of the horn to stop resonance.

But....my latest set has the Altec passive crossovers. Don't like them very much - they seem flat and not so punchy using the passive crossover. My best experiences with these have been biamped at about 1200hz (I know, everyone says to crossover at 500hz). I'm about to bypass the Altec crossovers in my current set and go active biamp again. Jam solid state or tubes through them and it's heaven.

Much critisism about HF dropping after 12K hz. Seems like going active at a higher xover point helps that situation.

Haven't done a head-to-head comparison with LaScalas. You may be better served with the Klipsch if you can get them at a good price...given they have the tweeter too. But on any given day, I'd take the A-7s over the Klipsch for the same price.

Yes, seems like a very biased opinion but over the last 30 years, I keep coming back to the Altecs.
 
I'm sure you'll hear many opinions about the A-7s....so let me start:

I think they're fantastic. (haven't heard with 802 HF drivers or the older 416 LFs).

Been using them for bands since highschool and at home and they still send shivers down my spine. Not sure why many new speakers don't do that for me - likely because the Altecs have a certain 'sound' to them. Folks will say they're not perfect, but that's up to the listener.

They won't hit those very low notes inside....outdoors they're much better balanced. And they can take as much power as you need to get them to ear-splitting levels (and they play soft nicely too). Very efficient so not much power needed.

Regarding harshness, make sure you dampen the horns. They'll ring like a tuning fork when mounted on top the 828. I have several sets of 511s and either have them in fully enclosed MDF boxes or put cloth or molding clay over the top of the horn to stop resonance.

But....my latest set has the Altec passive crossovers. Don't like them very much - they seem flat and not so punchy using the passive crossover. My best experiences with these have been biamped at about 1200hz (I know, everyone says to crossover at 500hz). I'm about to bypass the Altec crossovers in my current set and go active biamp again. Jam solid state or tubes through them and it's heaven.

Much critisism about HF dropping after 12K hz. Seems like going active at a higher xover point helps that situation.

Haven't done a head-to-head comparison with LaScalas. You may be better served with the Klipsch if you can get them at a good price...given they have the tweeter too. But on any given day, I'd take the A-7s over the Klipsch for the same price.

Yes, seems like a very biased opinion but over the last 30 years, I keep coming back to the Altecs.

Thanks much for the review, glad to know you enjoy them. Even were I to get those La Scala's, I still will get my A7's one of these days...Then I will definitely do a side-by-side review!
 
that's the point Suicide Bobb!

- hi darling, i got those gorgeous speakers today, Altec A7 is their name
- but why did you buy them? you already have a pair of La Scala in our tiny living room
- because i need them to compare how they sound...and write a review for AK
 
I currently have 3 rooms in my basement that are totally filled with speakers, not sure how I'm gunna fit these beasts in here!

Things are looking good...the guy is a pleasure to deal with, and is similar to me as far as our collection. I listed my Sony STR-6060FW and Yammie DSP-A1000 on craigslist, regretably, in hopes to get them. That means I'll be left with either my Sansui 9900Z with blown right channel outputs, my MCS 3253, or my H/K AVR-55 to power them in the meantime...which means either around 200watts (benched output) mono from the Sansui, or around 60wpc from the others. In other words, not much :/ Luckily, the Scala's are efficient, but I still plan on throwing more at them. In time, in time...
 
Just FYI, I've used Dayton 15" MI speakers in some 816 cabs and they perform extremely well. Though I'd like to get my hands on some 515Gs for the A-7s, there are suitable replacements that'll keep you within budget.

I had the 515 8G drivers in them originally. While they are a highly thought of driver designed expressly for the A-7 (horn front/reflex back) box, I preferred the 416 8C.

Price of all this stuff varies greatly. I've seen some go as cheap as 500 bucks. As to the new one costing 4-5 grand. I dont think you can actually buy them. Looks to me like a ploy to hold on to certain Altec trademarks/copyrights for what ever cheesy company owns the name now. That's the name only, Bill at Great plains Audio owns the manufacturing equipment, and likely supplied the drivers for that advertised A-7.

If you want really nice cherry picked cabinets, drivers and horns, expect to pay 1000-1500 a pair. Anything less is a good deal in my book.

Russellc
 
Thanks!

I guess what that really leaves now is...How do they sound? I mean, I have heard raves about them, but is it all hype? To be dead honest, 75% of why I like them is for their looks :D How sensitive are they, how much power can they handle, and are they harsh? I know most horns are. Also, how's the bass? As in loudness and low frequency extension.

Last question...how do they compare to La Scala's? I may be able to get my hands on a pair for $600...

Thanks for all your help guys!

Bass is not their strong suit, its basically all over around 50 hz....That said what is there is strong! Without proper crossover, they have a shouty haystack response. Check over on the Klipsch forum and see where guys install altec horns with the Lascala. The LaScala's could be played now and Alteced later.....

Russellc
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom