• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DIY Mystery Speakers

Henrydozer

Active Member
Banned
Hello Akers picked these up off of Craigslist today. I have no clue as to what they are, neither did the nice guy that I purchased them from. All the drivers work and they sound pretty good. They look good from the front but the finish on the sides and tops is Green and rather ugly, looks like an old countertop. But I could not pass them up. The stands are attached to the speakers on rollers. Anybody out there have a clue as to what these are and the age of them and if they are worth anything at all. Im thinking some sort of DIY kit. Thanks in advance for any clues as to what these are.
 

Attachments

  • diy 001.jpg
    diy 001.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 136
  • diy 002.jpg
    diy 002.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 101
  • diy 003.jpg
    diy 003.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'd say the sum of all parts is worth more than the asking price. Yes, the backs are pretty nasty. haha. Crack them open and see what the drivers are in them. The tweeters look like EV T35's or a good copy of them. Kind of a "Heres" clone/knockoff.
 
I would have bought them too. Looks like a clone of the Klipch speaker, Phenolic horn tweeter should make good highs, I think both tweeter and midrange are a plastic horn lens and although the tweeter looks like an EV style, I think it is aftermarket.
Kits or projects like these can sound really nice and sometimes a little tweaking is in order.
Nice buy.
 
Looks to me like someone did a darn nice job building those. Have no idea what those drivers are. I agree that HF horns look kind of like T-35's but aren't..
 
I'da bought them too, but I bet everything in them is poop. Cabinets look like solid wood.
 
I checked all the drivers and the Tweeters are marked as HT-500 and the Mids are HM-200 and both made by a company called MG Electronics and the Woofers have no name on them. I did some research and cant find anything at all. I posted a picture of the crossover, maybe some of this information will be familier to somebody.
 

Attachments

  • diy.jpg
    diy.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 59
MG could have been a distributor for the driver but may not have made them. Crossover looks competent , Maybe some high quality film/foil capacitors would make them sing a little better. I cant really tell whats in there now.
I picture of the drivers may help determine who made them.
Did you try them? How do they sound?
 
The Woofers have GW212/8 on them and made in China. They sound pretty good but have that typical Horn sound which I have never been real fond of. In looking at the inside of the speakers it looks as though all the cutouts are real precise like they were bought that way and then put together.
 
Did a little research and the Woofers might be made by Goldwood. Cant find any information on any type of kit that was used.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom