• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DIY Outer Record Rings?

SSaxdude

Super Member
I've seen DIY everything for vinyl, from turntables to tonearms to bases and accessories. Plenty has been written about DIY record clamps, but I see nothing (besides one YouTube video with no information) on DIY outer record rings.

Seems like if they flatten a warped record then wouldn't there be more interest in building them at home. What would it take to make something like that?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hard to build something like that properly balanced and such.

Never used one on a warped record but I did like the way it tightened the sound. I'd use one if I had one. I like that Kenwood one.
 
Last edited:
What if the outer ring could be fastened into the platter somehow?

Maybe I'm just chasing a pipe dream. Too bad all the commercially available new outer rings sell for $1000+.
 
Not that many audiophiles own lathes that can turn a 12+ inch ring with enough precision not to cause more problems than they solve. Add to that that many vinyl lovers have suspended subchassis turntables, which may not be able to accommodate the extra weight (nor may many tables of any kind), and its pretty clear that you are part of a fringe group. That's clever play on words, by the way.
 
Maybe I'm just chasing a pipe dream. Too bad all the commercially available new outer rings sell for $1000+.
You can always use a dished mat with a clamp that cups the record like a Michell clamp. Not as effective as a heavy perf ring but a heckuva lot cheaper, and it does work well to couple the edge on all but the nastiest of warped records. Easier to use, too.
 
You can always use a dished mat with a clamp that cups the record like a Michell clamp. Not as effective as a heavy perf ring but a heckuva lot cheaper, and it does work well to couple the edge on all but the nastiest of warped records. Easier to use, too.
I've heard a little bit about those. I can see how it helps dished records on the side where it's dished up (so higher in the middle, lower on the outside of the record). But what about the other side of the same LP, where the outside of the record is higher? What would work for that?
 
I think, at some point, you just have to accept the physical limitations of vinyl. There are simply some problems that aren't worth the time and effort to solve. You make do with things that are readily available, like clamps that get you 85% of what you want.

My big gripe isn't warps, but off-center spindle holes. Luckily one of my turntables has a removable spindle so that I can re-center records if I have to. To me, warps are a piece of cake compared to the "wow" induced by symmetry problems.
 
I've heard a little bit about those. I can see how it helps dished records on the side where it's dished up (so higher in the middle, lower on the outside of the record). But what about the other side of the same LP, where the outside of the record is higher? What would work for that?
That's what the cupping action of the clamp is intended to address. It's not a perfect system though, since to ensure the edge is against the mat often means the label is not. Still, I think it's better to damp the edge than it is to damp the label, if you had only one choice....
 
That's what the cupping action of the clamp is intended to address. It's not a perfect system though, since to ensure the edge is against the mat often means the label is not. Still, I think it's better to damp the edge than it is to damp the label, if you had only one choice....
So this system works on both sides of a dished record?

This is probably a really simple concept; I'm just terrible at visualizing it without seeing it firsthand.
 
I used aluminium to make mine that weighs 450gms but advise the use heavier metal if you attempt to make one.
I do also have an original DS20 that came with my KD990 turntable. 1350gms.
Yeah, that's the kind of weight you need to take out the serious warps. The TTW copper perf ring I have weighs 1200g and it, in combination with an 800g label weight, will flatten all but the most serious of edge warps. But even a 450g ring will edge damp the record, helping to improve dynamics and SNR even if it doesn't completely flatten the record.

As I mentioned earlier, I consider edge damping as important if not more so than label damping, which the dished mat/cupping clamp will help with at a much lower price point.
 
So this system works on both sides of a dished record?

This is probably a really simple concept; I'm just terrible at visualizing it without seeing it firsthand.

Clamps

IMG_3147.jpg

Notice the one farthest right does not have a raised outer lip and is not good for dished records.

IMG_3149.jpg IMG_3151.jpg

Rubber and felt washers..

IMG_3152.jpg IMG_3153.jpg

Dished record...

IMG_3155.jpg
 
Put the clamp on, push down and tighten.

IMG_3161.jpg IMG_3162.jpg IMG_3163.jpg IMG_3164.jpg

This exerts force away from the spindle hole and on the outer edge of the record clamp. In turn it puckers the record the opposite way,forcing the record flat at the outside.
 
Is that all DIY stuff or commercial products? Looks very interesting.
They are record clamps you buy to do the job needed, as you can see they are quiet effective for the need.

Two are SOTA Reflex Clamp
The other black one is A Michel Clamp
The silver one is a old Nagaoke RC-410
 
Back
Top Bottom