• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DIY RCA cable suggestions

MixedLogik

Active Member
Tonight, I was rewiring my stereo after obtaining a Technics SL-Q2 turntable from my dad. It was pretty messy back there. Lots of extra long cheap RCA cables and speaker wire. Then, it crossed my mind to build some of my own.
I had already built some of my own guitar instrument cable which is a shielded single conductor. Its pretty easy and can save space and money by getting the exact length and parts.
Couple of questions.
To build a dual set of LR RCA cables, they need to be shielded conductor? Right? I've read about using a standard coax cable or for dual RCA you could use Canare Star Quad. I've also seen something online where you could use standard stranded 18 AWG hookup wire and spaghetti braid them as a 3 conductor wire with heatshrink. http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/diySilver/
Does anybody reccomend some mid range connectors to use? I've done lots of guitar cables and heres my two cents. As far as instrument cable goes, the only way you are going to tell a true difference in sound quality is to have exellent cable, pro connectors, and good heatshrink. Im not trying to improve sound here, just looks and space. :D
Lastly. I really don't know where to order all of this stuff. Does anyone reccomend a site? I ran across a site called Markertek. Alright but didnt really have a good selection of heatshrink. Also, PartsExpress looked nice.
Thank you to all in advance.
Chris
 
Register to hide this ad
There is also a great 6moons DIY which I have just completed. Unfortunately, I was only able to get a hold of the orange cable. They are just breaking in now, so hopefully another couple of days and I should be good.
 
Interesting. I guess the shielded would be good for long range, but for short range, like 6 inches or so, I could get away with some silver 20 Awg teflon wire? Im trying to connect my Compact Disc Player, Turntable, and Effects Processor all to my stereo and they are less than about a foot away. Seems like going all out on cable is really useless. I saw a thread on how one of the member of AudioKarma braided the silver teflon to create speaker wire, looked awesome and good quality. I think im might go with that, and some heatshrink from PartsExpress. Also some connectors that are good quality.

These got exellent reviews and come with a pair of left, right connectors.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=263-212
 
I had the same cable mess as you a few years back and some hum issues, too. Grabbed a spool of Radio Shack's top 100% shielded dual audio cable and gold RCA connectors. Fabbed up everything to custom length's for my install, and what a difference. No background hum, hisses, or scratches. One of the best thing's I'd ever done. Can't recall the cost, but think it was under $100
 
Ok, I've actually decided im going to use some basic shielded instrument cable. Works great for shielding against microphonics; I've also had great experiance using it.

RCA and 1/4

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=299
http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=200

Cable

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=507

I will post a project log with pics as soon as it arrives.

Huh...generally Mogami cable is good stuff, but I guess the following quote from the site you linked would scare me away from using it for interconnects. Since the interconnect isn't routinely flexed and moved around in use, they probably don't need the same level of protection from microphonics/triboelectric noise.


"Guitar cables must be counter-measured against this, so, a conductive PVC layer is placed under the shield conductor in most cases even though it may have a bad affect on audio sound quality."
 
Huh...generally Mogami cable is good stuff, but I guess the following quote from the site you linked would scare me away from using it for interconnects. Since the interconnect isn't routinely flexed and moved around in use, they probably don't need the same level of protection from microphonics/triboelectric noise.


"Guitar cables must be counter-measured against this, so, a conductive PVC layer is placed under the shield conductor in most cases even though it may have a bad affect on audio sound quality."

Thanks for catching that. I might go with Canare GS-6 now because of that.

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=543

The PVC is not present on the core conductor. Little more expensive, but im willing to pay for it.

"Canare GS-6 Guitar/Keyboard/Instrument Cable is ultra flexible with OXYGEN FREE Copper conductor and shield. Stranded Center Conductor Coaxial construction keeps GS-6 flexible even in sub-zero weather, and offers reduced Microphone handling noise and low capacitance and resistance. Great for electronic instruments, hi-fi interconnects, test probes, audio patch cords and amp to cabinet leads."

Looks like im going for this stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom