• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dl160 vtf?

flatwound

Active Member
Hi fellow turntablists-
I have a question for those of you who run with the Denon DL160 Cart: what do you find to be the optimum VTF? I noticed some distortion (sounds like overload) on highly modulated passages. Temporarily swapped the 160 out for an AT2214SH, and I don't notice the same harshness on loud passages.
Turntable is a Yamaha YP-D71, into a NAD 314 Receiver.
Anti-skate is set at the 1.5 G setting, I was running the 160 at around 1.8 grams VTF.
Any ideas?
Thanks-
Bill in GA
 
Register to hide this ad
How old is it? I just got one,and have the VTF at 1.7 still breaking it in, but I didn't notice any harsness.Try bringing the antiskate to 1.8 to see if it will help.
 
Thanks loopy- my 160 is about 4 months old, well broken in. Today I re-set it with my digital 'dope' scale and calibrated it to 1.8 g. I'll see if there is any improvement..
 
Also check to see if it is square with the headshell,I have a Technics SL1210 and I get the line on the cartridge aligned with the second part of the h and it is centered on the headshell.
 
Double check your alignment and if your 1.8-1.9g tracking you should be Ok. I have mine set at 1.8 with a very slight down angle to the rear on the VTA. Sounds Great!
 
I don't have a DL-160 but do have the DL-110 and noticed the fine cuts at the bottom of the diamond sometimes collect crud from the LP grooves. So I have to be careful about keeping it clean or it will sometimes mistrack and cause distortion like you mentioned.
 
I don't have a DL-160 but do have the DL-110 and noticed the fine cuts at the bottom of the diamond sometimes collect crud from the LP grooves. So I have to be careful about keeping it clean or it will sometimes mistrack and cause distortion like you mentioned.
What do you use to clean ther diamond of crud?
Thanks-
 
Double check your alignment and if your 1.8-1.9g tracking you should be Ok. I have mine set at 1.8 with a very slight down angle to the rear on the VTA. Sounds Great!

Dok- lower in the rear? I have mine as level as I can determine. I'll try your suggestion-
 
What do you use to clean ther diamond of crud?
Thanks-

I use a Watts Stylus Cleaner but most guys around here seem to favor the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. From what I hear it does a great job and is easy to use. A forum search should turn up quite a few posts and testimonials.
 
Back
Top Bottom