• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DM7 MK2 from B&W

Heimrick

New Member
Hello guys,

I need your help regarding some crossovers upgrade/rebuilding. I have a decent pair of B&W DM7 MK2 and I want to replace the capacitors on the crossovers. They sound a lil bit dull and I beleive the old caps on those crossovers might be responsible. Now, I know how do solder/desolder, but I never changed capacitors before so I,m a bit confused when its time to get the right ones.

Now i'v removed the crossovers and I can already see that the big caps (1000uf) are leaking...

here's the infos marked on the caps :

1000uf 100 vdc (big ones)

11 mfd 50 vnp +- 10%

40 v100 uf (m) ceo4w

40v 47vf sml

I also dowloaded the circuit diagram from B&W

If some of you guys could find the time to help me pick up the right replacement parts it would be greatly appreciated. Any advices, any suggestion are welcome. What type of caps should I buy?

thanks in advance

Heimrick
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a pair of DM 7 MkII but my crossovers are different! Yours seem to match the schematic more closely than mine. In mine, the 3 uf tweeter cap is 3.3 uf. In the woofer, the 1000 uf cap is deleted, the 4.6uf is 4.7uf, and the 11 is 10 uf. No 1000uf cap at all. I thought they sounded awful - voices all wrong, but deleting the 10uf woofer cap made the speaker much better.
 
Parts Express only stocks non-polar lytics up to 500uf/100V. I would parallel a pair of them to make the 1000uF device. 11uF is non-standard, but you could parallel 10uF and 1uF, connect two 22uF in series, or parallel a couple of 5.6uF with less than 2% error.

The remaining lytics are used in the protection circuit and don't affect sonics. Just use any decent polarized caps with similar ratings.
 
Back
Top Bottom