• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do pieces of gear or brands of gear find you?

CharlieBee

Super Member
Almost all audio gear has been purchased in Baton Rouge, LA during the last 13 years from garage and estate sales and at thrift stores. I just keep an eye out for audio gear at a low or reasonable price, especially 100 amp/channel or more receivers. That plan has resulted in obtaining several of the same brands and type of gear.

Examples below:

Sansui Receivers/amp & ect. - 9090db, two 9090 receivers and a QS 500 - 4 channel amp, Sansui SR-232 Automatic-Return Turntable, Sansui TU-517 AM/FM Tuner

Dual Turntables - 1249 (purchased in 1980 from news paper ad), CS 1264, CS 627Q, 1225, and CS 16

JBL Speakers - two pair JBL 100s, JBL 50s

I have found other great pieces but usually only one of a brand.

Have any of you experienced being found by an audio brand or type of gear?

Charlie
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Without any particular intent, I seem to have been found by a small gaggle of Harman/Kardon integrated amps -- two A-401's, two A-402's, an HK6100 and an HK610 -- though only one A-402 and the HK6100 are in use at the moment. One A-401 is on my to-be-fixed stack, the other (which works) I've owned since the 1980's.
 
I notice the same thing, as well as a lack of certain brands in my city of 150,000. Possibly because local dealers sold a lot of those brands and not others when the gear was new.

I have somehow managed to acquire 3 pairs of Atlantic Oracle speakers, one locally and the other two from an AKer in the region. Fairly rare but made in the Midwest so it's not too shocking to find them here I suppose.
 
I was oggling a pair of Black Canton Karats at a local shop recently. Was tempted to go back and get them. Then fell into a walnut pair, same model, at a garage sale, today. What were the odds. Fate.
Been looking for Canton upgrade from some XL Plus speakers I had from a thrift.
 
Last edited:
In fits and starts with long droughts in between. Not like 10 years ago when you could be knee deep in the stuff.
 
While a wide variety of speakers have graced my home, it seems as though Yamaha gear has singularly been what's been made available to me by the audio powers that be.
And so far very glad of it.
 
I've happened into 2 sets of tannoys, one set of mallorcans and a set of reds i saw and suspected were tannoys. Otherwise all random.
 
only once when a friend gave me an EICO HF-85 that looked like it had been drug thru a field of bull feces.
I totally gutted it and rebuilt it completely with new parts and made a few mod but not changing
the orig ckt. Painted it and polished the brass faceplate. All my friends rave about it and how great it sounds and how good it looks.
Its here on AK somewhere about eico hf85s.
 
Seems like I find quite a bit of Denon, and it's not the city I live in because I've moved twice in the last eight years. Over that time I've picked up a PMA-500V, PMA-900V, PMA-757, DRA-75, AVR-800, two DVD-900s, DVD-2500, and a couple of lower end turntables.
 
I suspect the things that find me have the same distribution as whatever was popular. Sometimes it seems like a giant herd of BPC is chasing me, but every now and then I get lucky.
 
I definitely became a Tandberg magnet at some point... probably not by accident though, I suspect my active search and acquire process in previous years carved a path to my door so deep that other pieces still occasionally fall into it and end up on my doorstep.

John
 
Vintage SONY CD Players. After A/B comparisons with my Cambridge Audio DVD player, (only used for CD's), I'll never buy another, (Sony).
 
Not sure if they find me or I look HARD for them...but anything Realistic seems to find a spot in my home.
 
Back
Top Bottom