• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you guys have any experience with 1970's Philips speakers ?

MrSparklez

Active Member
I have been offered a pair of Philips 22RH457

They were made from 1970 to 1976 and I think they are in the higher end of the Philips loudspeaker line-up.

So my question is, do any of you guys have any experience with Philips speakers from that era ?
 

Attachments

  • Philips22RH457.01.jpg
    Philips22RH457.01.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Philips22RH457.02.jpg
    Philips22RH457.02.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 102
Register to hide this ad
Philips made some really decent speakers back in that era - A lot of their drivers were used by quite a few manufacturers as well - I personally had many different models and used to build speaker systems and used Philips drivers exclusively in the systems I built - They were one of the few manufactures that had build your own kits and sold all kinds of drivers for the do it your selfer - My largest set that I built consisted of 2 x 15 " woofers with 4 midranges (the same as the ones in these pictures) - and 4 dome tweeters. They sure did kick some you know what!

If the rubber surround on the woofers is in good shape and based on the picture they are - these should sound pretty damn good. Most of the Philips speakers I dealt with were air suspension speakers although they did have ported models as well - with the air suspension cabinets they needed to be air tight otherwise you wouldn't get the proper base and the woofers would tend to rattle - the mid range squaker is self sealed and so are the tweeters so the cabinet air space is strictly used for the woofers.

I highly doubt you would be disappointed in these!

Wazy
 
Philips made some really decent speakers back in that era - A lot of their drivers were used by quite a few manufacturers as well - I personally had many different models and used to build speaker systems and used Philips drivers exclusively in the systems I built - They were one of the few manufactures that had build your own kits and sold all kinds of drivers for the do it your selfer - My largest set that I built consisted of 2 x 15 " woofers with 4 midranges (the same as the ones in these pictures) - and 4 dome tweeters. They sure did kick some you know what!

If the rubber surround on the woofers is in good shape and based on the picture they are - these should sound pretty damn good. Most of the Philips speakers I dealt with were air suspension speakers although they did have ported models as well - with the air suspension cabinets they needed to be air tight otherwise you wouldn't get the proper base and the woofers would tend to rattle - the mid range squaker is self sealed and so are the tweeters so the cabinet air space is strictly used for the woofers.

I highly doubt you would be disappointed in these!

Wazy
Thanks for the reply and info ! Yeah they sure do look promising, I was browsing through a Philips catalogue from 1976 and I noticed that these speakers were the top of line for that year. So I'm looking very much forward to picking them up tomorrow ! :banana:

http://www.taxafinn.dk/1976-22.jpg
 
Just got them home and connected them to my Harman Kardon PM645 vxi, and WOW, I never would have thought that Led Zeppelin could sound so good. They are quite the upgrade from my Wharfedale Diamoand 2's, thanks for the help guys !!
 
Glad to hear you like them - Philips speakers were conservatively rated for the max power they could handle - When fed by a high end and clean amp you can far exceed their ratings. Keep on rockin!

Wazy
 
There was a set of 70's era Phillips Acoustic suspension speakers that came up on the auction site a few months ago that brought several hundred $$. They were a large 2 way or 3 way set. I think Phillips speakers are well regarded and must not have been manufactured in the quantities of the Advents, AR's, and KLH's of the day that they were competing with or we'd see more of them. I didn't know that they sold drivers for the DIY'er. Very cool.

Nice find. Enjoy!
 
There was a set of 70's era Phillips Acoustic suspension speakers that came up on the auction site a few months ago that brought several hundred $$. They were a large 2 way or 3 way set. I think Phillips speakers are well regarded and must not have been manufactured in the quantities of the Advents, AR's, and KLH's of the day that they were competing with or we'd see more of them. I didn't know that they sold drivers for the DIY'er. Very cool.

Nice find. Enjoy!

Yeah I got them for a great price, Icelandic 6500 Kr, that translates to 58 dollars, to put those Kr in perspective, Grado Sr325i: 300dollars on amazon, back here those cost 60000 Kr.

It's also very rare seeing vintage TOTL audio equipment being sold here since it wasn't very common for Icelandic people back in 70's and 80's to spend a lot of money on something like that.

All in all it was a good day ! :)
 
I think you got a Scroe!

Haven't heard Philips, but hear good things about them. Was looking in various sites for mid-rangers like yours, for a project. Seeing prices above $58.00 just for a pair of the loose mids (alone).

Glad you enjoy them!
 
I think you'll find those midranges to be a real standout. I have have pair of the newer, AH 477s that uses them. I even use a pair of those that I use as upgrades for my VMPSs
 

Attachments

  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 30
I have a pair of home made speakers that have all Phillips drivers in them and I love them. They have 12in 5in and tweet.
 
Back
Top Bottom