• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you like modern houses?

What do you like?

  • Old houses

    Votes: 32 39.5%
  • New houses, traditional design

    Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Mid Century modern or other modern styles

    Votes: 30 37.0%
  • Current modern

    Votes: 6 7.4%

  • Total voters
    81

Bob_in_OKC

Addicted Member
I'm curious about the average person's feelings on modern houses, especially mid-century modern and current modern design trends. This is as opposed to the prevalent traditional designs that generally lean toward historic references like Colonial, Tudor, etc. In our neighborhood, we are in what our city calls a conservation district. New construction must conform to one of four traditional styles. So what do you think? What kind of house do you like? It would also be good for you to note where you live or would like to live, given that styles and construction types can be regional.

Some examples for discussion...

1.jpg

1

2.jpg

2

3.jpg

3

4.jpg

4

5.jpg

5

6.jpg

6

7.jpg

7

8.jpg

8

9.jpg

9

0.jpg

10
 
Register to hide this ad
7 - 10 are the least attractive to me, all the rest are ok - with a preference for number 1 which is the most familiar style to me. (look above for where I am located).
 
Some of those houses are blends of styles and periods (Tudor, Queen Anne, etc). Number 2 is an excellent example of The Craftsman style of house. I love it. That and number 9, a great example of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Prairie" style house. Love that too. I think the last one was once a shipping container, or two.

For those interested in such things, I highly recommend a book called "The Field Guide To American Houses" by Virginia and Lee McAlester.
 
Last edited:
I'd think you'd want something that would still look good after 20-25 years. #8 screams "1959 !" a little too loudly... It REALLY needs an immaculately restored Edsel or '59 Caddy sitting in front of it..
 
The #2 Craftsman. You just can not get that style and workmanship in a new home. That said, because of the age, you can run into a whole lot of plumbing and electrical problems with one.
 
Very nice & distinct designs on all of them, but I like single story homes much better. If I was to seek out one of these or its ilk, my choice would be either #1 or #2.

For the right price & if I had some extra resources to fix up the place #10 could be a looker. Pave the driveway & add a nicer storage unit could be the start of something nice!

Rome
 
Last edited:
Very nice & distinct designs on all of them, but I like single story homes much better. If I was to seek out one of these or its ilk, my choice would be either #1 or #2.

For the right price & if I had some extra resources to fix up the place #8 could be a looker. Pave the driveway & add a nicer storage unit could be the start of something nice!

Rome

Your response reminds me of this house in my neighborhood, in the Vickery district in Dallas. It was built in 2010, according to public records.

11.jpg
 
Houses are like cars to me.

You spend most of your time inside them looking out, so what they look like really isn't that big of a deal.

But I generally like the older homes better
 
I think the house's style has to be compatible with its environment/neighborhood. What looks great on a beach in Malibu may not look great in suburban Dallas and vice versa. Here in the DC 'burbs, I'm partial to brick or brick-faced colonials. As for old vs. new, it's all about the underlying construction quality. There's good and bad for both eras.
 
Your response reminds me of this house in my neighborhood, in the Vickery district in Dallas. It was built in 2010, according to public records.

11.jpg

You bet, Bob!

Yea, that district has been nicely preserved. I lived in the Ross/Garrett area in the late 90s until I moved to South Oak Cliff.

Rome
 
Back
Top Bottom