• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do You stop The Platter From Spinning To Change Your LP?

daza152

Super Member
I know it's Daza's quirky moments again, at least its not a...do you ? while spinning? questions :D I believe this is ok practise depending solely on if you have a direct drive or belt drive correct? Plus who really wants to sit and wait til it stops spinning, and quite frankly I have no idea how long it would take anyway, LOL.

Daza.
 
Register to hide this ad
If the center hole of the LP really snatch tight to the pinol, I would stop the platter no matter what drive.

"dolph"
 
Belt drives will usually slow down fairly quickly like my PL-61 so no need to wait very long. I have a dd Pioneer PL-630 that has an auto brake and stops the platter once the tt is at it's rest.

A friend has a Dual 1216 that can spin for a couple minutes. Whenever we spin records we stop the platter with a finger once the record is done playing. I guess you could pluck the record off the platter while it's spinning but I would rather stop it first.
 
Absolutely. Why chance an accident? A spinning platter and a close proximity arm/cartridge/stylus? Asking for trouble someday.
 
This was a rule of practice in my house. When I was old enough to play my Dad's stereo, he told me to let the platter stop spinning before taking the record off as not to damage the turntable. So Dad's rule still is in me, and as 71Challenger states, why risk an accident.
 
I would but I don't have to with the TD-124's sub platter that always keeps spinning. Just flip the switch and the upper platter stops while the mass of the lower platter keeps on going. If you value your lps stop the platter from spinning.
 
Yes, the TD-124's ingenious mechanism (originally designed for DJ use in studios) is great for the purpose.

I ALWAYS stop the platter (or let it stop) before removing a record. Back in teenage years, I considered it a "skill" and a mark of my "turntable mastery" to be able to change records while the table was turning, cue up songs perfectly "by eye and by hand", etc... heck, if there had been an audience I probably would have started juggling LPs and turned it into some kind of a show, but these days I do everything the right, careful and prudent way to minimize any chances of accidents. Nothing to prove by doing things the risky way, and something to lose, so why not do things right?
 
Like you say Daza, my ELAC takes forever to stop spinning, so I have to use my finger to stop it, BEFORE I take the record off.

My Pioneer is belt drive and is always stopped by the time I get to it. If I decide to change records before the end of the record, I hit "Stop" first and once the tone arm is back in the cradle, the record is stopped.

Always! :thmbsp:

Dennie
 
Yes, the TD-124's ingenious mechanism (originally designed for DJ use in studios) is great for the purpose.

I ALWAYS stop the platter (or let it stop) before removing a record. Back in teenage years, I considered it a "skill" and a mark of my "turntable mastery" to be able to change records while the table was turning, cue up songs perfectly "by eye and by hand", etc... heck, if there had been an audience I probably would have started juggling LPs and turned it into some kind of a show, but these days I do everything the right, careful and prudent way to minimize any chances of accidents. Nothing to prove by doing things the risky way, and something to lose, so why not do things right?


+1
When I was working a radio station back in the 70's I did it all the time, I didn't have the love of the vinyl I do today. Now I treat it with the respect it is due. Part of me feels like I am the caretaker of these albums till I am dead and gone and they are in the hands of another caretaker. In the mean time, my motto is "Do no harm" Accidents happen and last time I checked I ain't perfect.
 
With belt driven high mass platters and memory enough to know if the LP in question snatch to the pinol or not and using a Ring-Mat as a "clutch", flipping the LP without stopping platter is no problem and will not risk anything.

"dolph"
 
Some tables want you to keep them spinning

until recently, I had a Rega planar 2 with glass platter and felt mat. I never stopped the platter during a session. I'd change LPs with the platter turning.

This is what it said to do in the manual. Worked fine b/c i did not use a clamp and the felt mat sitting on the smooth glass platter did not offer any friction against the LP when changing. Plus if I stopped it, the motor and belt would strain so much to get the heavy platter moving again, it seemed best to avoid putting it under this stress (esp. the drive belt and motor mounting O-ring).

I now run a Well Tempered Record Player which has no mat; the LP goes right on the acrylic. Also, it uses a clamp that screws down into the spindle. So I really have to stop the platter to change the LP. Also, the Well Tempered doesn't strain to start up again like the Rega did.

So, some 'tables are best stopped, some are best kept spinning. You should do what your 'table wants you to do.

:yes:
 
stream of consciousness - does snatch tight on the pinol mean the same thing in Denmark as it does here?

Ok....................let me correct.
:thmbsp:

Snatch tight on the pinol means that the hole of the LP goes very tight on the center pin in the middle of the platter.

Is that understandable enough?

"dolph"
 
Yeah I got that. I was just being a smart ass. One doesn't often hear snatch and tight in the same sentence in a G Rated context. :D
 
Yes I do. I think that if there is "stuff" on the platter and the LP is spun on it I could grind it into my LP. And I do have some of those LPs that are really tight on the spindle.

It may just be me.

Edit: I forgot about the clamp. That makes stopping mandatory.
 
Last edited:
By the time I stand up and get to it, it has stopped turning!

Maybe because I am over 40 (more like short of fifty)
 
Back
Top Bottom