• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you think it'd be safe to use a smart plug to regularly power on and off my vintage receiver?

NealnealNeal

New Member
Would this cause any issues? I'm basically trying to get around the fact that the receiver doesn't have a remote. I'm specifically using a Pioneer SX-737 receiver. Thanks for the help!
 
Register to hide this ad
I was wondering the same thing. I have a Fisher receiver with the volume/power switch combined and have heard of issues as they age. Same answer?
 
I've been using a remote controled Bluetooth outlet for one of my tube amplifiers. No reason they won't work for SS equipment. It saves those old power switches. For under $20 I'll be getting a few more.

Yup! Since you got one I of course had to get one!

I bought a remote controlled extension cord (used for outdoor lights etc) for the main system in the front room and it works great.

Would this cause any issues? I'm basically trying to get around the fact that the receiver doesn't have a remote. I'm specifically using a Pioneer SX-737 receiver. Thanks for the help!

I use vintage sleep timers for my bedroom systems that we use to fall asleep to every night and they work just like the items above. I like them because they save the power switches on the old items.

20201021_152553.jpg

20201026_074929.jpg
 
Been real happy with these little guys.
879f1f5a-f9ec-462a-9a14-0a9148162402._CR0,0,150,300_PT0_SX150__.jpg

Fosmon C-10683 Wireless Remote Control

Real deal for $15, and a simple inline switch. They also make multiple outlet models. I use one with a Carver C4000 pre that has a weak power switch, and I've got a few others scattered about the house and yard - yes - they're waterproof too.

If you look at the power switch on the pre, you can see why I'm reluctant to use it. Once you get it to lock, it's ok, but cycling it would be like rolling the bones, eh. The remote is just velcro'd down to the shelf.

c4000-power-switch.jpg

 
Back
Top Bottom