• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you think this has a Quick fix?

MacShrike

New Member
Ls, I installed my old speakers and noticed that 1 has.. well a destroyed ring (dont know the right term)
I dont think they are worth much anymore.
But waiting for budget for new speakers do you think i could erm... Duct tape(please forgive me) this? (See image).
They actually still sound nit to bad until a certain frequency. Then it sounds like its farting‍♂️
The entire outer ring is torn and losse from the... White part.
16140193271774021641900790663326.jpg
Regards Mac
 
Register to hide this ad
Ls, I installed my old speakers and noticed that 1 has.. well a destroyed ring (dont know the right term)
I dont think they are worth much anymore.
But waiting for budget for new speakers do you think i could erm... Duct tape(please forgive me) this? (See image).
They actually still sound nit to bad until a certain frequency. Then it sounds like its farting‍♂️
The entire outer ring is torn and losse from the... White part.
View attachment 2141091
Regards Mac
Surround
 
Ls, I installed my old speakers and noticed that 1 has.. well a destroyed ring (dont know the right term)
I dont think they are worth much anymore.
But waiting for budget for new speakers do you think i could erm... Duct tape(please forgive me) this? (See image).
They actually still sound nit to bad until a certain frequency. Then it sounds like its farting‍♂️
The entire outer ring is torn and losse from the... White part.
View attachment 2141091
Regards Mac
Refoam them, or maybe find a dumpster.
 
I recently redid the foam surrounds on a pair of Advent 1 speakers using a kit I bought at simplyspeakers.com. Cost me about $30 for the kit.

It is a bit of work doing the cleanup, but the install of the new foam was not terrible.

What speakers are these?
 
you replace the surround. Need to measure the speaker but they tend to be fairly standard sizes. Look up re-foaming, there should be a ton of threads and videos. Its not hard, its just a bit tedious and messy. Parts aren't real expensive either. I think the last pair of surrounds I bought was under 30 bucks.

Tape is not going to work, and will quite possibly cause enough damage to make it unfixable. Do not use the speakers in this condition either, that can also damage them.
 
c0f7093c0f545fd9ea4d66f04ae907ed.jpg
 
I recently redid the foam surrounds on a pair of Advent 1 speakers using a kit I bought at simplyspeakers.com. Cost me about $30 for the kit.

It is a bit of work doing the cleanup, but the install of the new foam was not terrible.

What speakers are these?

Hi! Thx for the reply.
They are 8 ohm Acoustic audio H-CD12 monitors.
I bought them 30 years ago... just realized.
I think they were ripoff speakers but on a higher volume they actually sound... well loud at least.
Just aquired a second hand Sony Str-db870.16141064538159004960002709278989.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 1614106573195244397794431262571.jpg
    1614106573195244397794431262571.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 7
Hi! Thx for the reply.
They are 8 ohm Acoustic audio H-CD12 monitors.
I bought them 30 years ago... just realized.
I think they were ripoff speakers but on a higher volume they actually sound... well loud at least.
Just aquired a second hand Sony Str-db870.View attachment 2142231

I'm not sure I'd put a lot of effort into these speakers.

If determined, I guess you could replace them with something like these
https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-12PR-8-12-Poly-Cone-Rubber-Surround-Woofer-292-422

but you would probably do better to start cruising the local goodwill shops and craigs list for something better.
 
might get improvement from a different woofer, but I'd say these are the perfect thing to learn how to re-foam. If it goes wrong it wouldn't be something you can't sort out for not a bunch of trouble.
 
I think they were ripoff speakers but on a higher volume they actually sound... well loud at least.

Now that is a quote. Very well said

To keep costs down measure the driver and maybe you can get a set of foam surrounds from the bay for under 15 bucks. Save the rest for some upgraded speakers. Use these speakers in the garage when you get the newer speakers. Garage systems are generally not sit down and listen to how great it sounds and loud can be a big benefit, playing over the sound of the tools doing work.
 
Back
Top Bottom