• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do your R/R mail order decks arrive in good shape or not?

weegee

Active Member
I've bought 8 R/R decks at eBay over the last 2 months. 3 of the 8 R/R decks had to be returned from shipping damage due to poor packing and 1 Revox B-77 was not described correctly and did not work. That is a 50% failure rate on mail order purchases due to shipping problems or misrepresentation.

Here is latest Akai that arrived yesterday. (Bent spindle and all 4 corners damaged.

1 DSC06412.jpg

Here is the box

DSC06409.JPG

Some of the crazy sellers don't want to refund either. One offered me $20 in exchange for me keeping a broken $345 machine. Then you have to fight it out with eBay if the seller refuses to refund.

How do you do with mail order R/R?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I’ve only shipped two and I don’t think I’ll ship another unless absolutely necessary. I packed one and removed case to send for repairs and no problem. I sold another and the purchaser had an account with FedEx and instructed me to just drop off the deck and they would pack it. I made sure to take pictures before and at the FedEx counter because I didn’t trust the 20 year olds to pack it correctly. The purchaser contacted me stating they ran a fork lift through the deck. It was covered through his FedEx insurance, but such a shame on a pristine Teac X1000 now trashed.
 
Similar to the experiences of many with turntables and large receivers when bought from eBay and improperly packed. I probably spend $30-$40 on packing materials when I ship.
 
I’ve only shipped two ... The purchaser contacted me stating they ran a fork lift through the deck. It was covered through his FedEx insurance, but such a shame on a pristine Teac X1000 now trashed.

A customer of mine had that happen with a brand-new Sony digital VTR. $65k with options. Stabbed right thru the front panel. Oops.
 
I've bought 8 R/R decks at eBay over the last 2 months. 3 of the 8 R/R decks had to be returned from shipping damage due to poor packing and 1 Revox B-77 was not described correctly and did not work. That is a 50% failure rate on mail order purchases due to shipping problems or misrepresentation.

Here is latest Akai that arrived yesterday. (Bent spindle and all 4 corners damaged.

View attachment 1711744

Here is the box

View attachment 1711756

Some of the crazy sellers don't want to refund either. One offered me $20 in exchange for me keeping a broken $345 machine. Then you have to fight it out with eBay if the seller refuses to refund.

How do you do with mail order R/R?

There is no fight with eBay because there is no refuse refund.

Ebay will force a refund to a buyer every time for any thing, real or not.

Just file return, “not as described” and wait.
 
Sadly, expect damage. Common sense is non-existent for most folks where packing is concerned.

Three of my TEAC machines came from the auction site, one very well packed while the others...well, let's say there was luck involved. My A-1250 arrived with bruises on both side panels and all screws holding them on badly bent but fortunately no other damage. Parts-o'plenty is one reason I run only TEAC machines so I replaced them with a set of 2300S panels and screws.

The 3340S and A-2000SR since were both picked up in person. The several hours of driving was time well spent.
 
Last edited:
There is no fight with eBay because there is no refuse refund.

Ebay will force a refund to a buyer every time for any thing, real or not.

Just file return, “not as described” and wait.

And why the auction site is dead to me. No matter how perfectly you behave it will put you at the mercy of idiots. No thank you.
 
And why the auction site is dead to me. No matter how perfectly you behave it will put you at the mercy of idiots. No thank you.

Yup, it can suck once in a while.

But I find Craigslist and OfferUp to be the true idiot magnets. Talk about low life po-boy scum.
 
I bought a Technics rs-1700 rtr off the bay and received it unscathed. Lucky I suppose? A lot of people out there have no clue how to pack or realize what a package goes through to get to its new owner. Believe me I know! I worked for FEDEX for a coupe of years in Phx.
 
I had one deck purchase 10 years ago. A 10 1/2 Akai deck, and fortunately, only the side panels were damaged-at the time, I never thought much about whether the seller would pack well. The other deck I had shipped, was from an AK member, who made sure to properly pack it, and it arrived fine. One other deck, I send off for restoration (long story there...), and upon return shipping, both the feet were broken (RT909).

R2R's are heavy, so the amount of energy to stop an object in motion (such as when a heavy box falls off a hand truck, or is tossed onto a conveyor belt), is enormous. An it will always stop moving using any protruding area, such as corners, spindles, feet, etc.

OP's success rate of 50% sounds about right.

At this point-it's CL and a car ride, or a very confident AK seller. There are many Barter Town sales that are local only-and these sellers know they are leaving money on the table. I respect their decision.
 
Wrap the machine in bubble wrap. Pack it tightly it in a good strong cardboard box. Pack that box tightly in a larger cardboard box and pack tightly with pieces of styro-foam, more bubble warp or other packing material around all 6 sides. The key is tight packing.l Tape it all shut and mail it. You may want to place the deck in a large plastic bag to help prevent moisture damage should it somehow get exposed. I have also used the heavy cardboard tubes carpet is rolled on (if you can find them big enough), fixed over the reel tables to prevent them from getting jammed into the deck. Whenever I have received a deck, I always look at the reel tables to see if they have been pushed in.
I have bought many and sold a few reel to reel decks over the past 10 years, mostly over Ebay. When I see an ad I plan on bidding for, I always ask the seller how it will be shipped. If I don't get a satisfactory answer, I steer clear. I have only received one tape deck that was haphazardly packed and was cosmetically damaged. The seller's feedback showed mostly clothing sales, I should have read that closer.
 
Back
Top Bottom