• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does anyone know how to do the low gain mod on an Audiio Research LS3?

240sx4u

Lunatic Member
It looks more and more like this is going to be my long term preamp and I really need to do the -10db gain mod to make it more friendly in my system. Does anyone know how to do it? I know it's a matter of swapping resistors but it does something with changing the feedback loop so the sound signature can also change. Any experience here too?

Thanks - Evan
 
Register to hide this ad
Is this an ARC approved modification? If so, they know exactly how to do it and would be glad to tell you.
 
Oh yeah, it's even listed in the manual that it can be done. Thanks blue' I will have to call ARC.
 
I've had experience with a similar mod on the LS-8s some years ago. I talked to ARC, who wanted to do the mod for me, and was able to purchase the same parts package they ship to their distributors in Europe and Asia to do the mods.

If it is like the mod in my experience, be prepared to cut traces, solder in jumpers and otherwise do some _real_ modding. They did include instructions but they assume that you have a good, solid grasp of electronics and know the precautions to take. Don't expect hand-holding from ARC, either, as they assume you know how to not to get into a bind.

Cheers,

David
 
I could certainly handle that, but in reality maybe the harrison Fmods that another user on AK used are the right choice. I would be way more apt to do it if it were more easily replaceable.

Thanks for the lowdown David.
 
On the SP-9 it is simply removing a 2mm x 4mm metal strip at two locations separating the traces. I do not know the LS method but glad you have access to the proper procedure.
 
I'd encourage you to give them a call and explain your situation, your skills and what you'd like to do. They should be able to describe the effort and skills they expect of someone who'd they would sell the upgrade kit to.

You'll need to have your serial number and be able to look into the circuitry to determine if there have been other mods or updates installed prior to yours. Remember that ARC, as well as other high-end vendors, will have made minor variations to the boards during production. They may need to know those details depending on how they chose to implement the mods.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck with it.

Cheers,

David
 
Back
Top Bottom