• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does Grado have an adapter for their P-mounts to 1/2 inch or universal?

By the way, that is classic Grado customer service. Don't make the mistake of asking them for a spare stylus guard.

I had a similar experience when calling Shure for a new n91ED stylus recently. At least the folks at Grado could answer me in english.
 
Big issue with P-Mounts as a rule. It must be strict T4p compliant to work in every such turntable. And most such cartridges were not fresh designs with T4p compliance in mind, most were adapted from existing cartridge lines, Grado and Ortofon being some major examples. And these two brands in their 1/2" livery called for more like 1.8 grams tracking force. Audio-Technica was the best about strict T4p compliance as was Shure.
 
Big issue with P-Mounts as a rule. It must be strict T4p compliant to work in every such turntable. And most such cartridges were not fresh designs with T4p compliance in mind, most were adapted from existing cartridge lines, Grado and Ortofon being some major examples. And these two brands in their 1/2" livery called for more like 1.8 grams tracking force. Audio-Technica was the best about strict T4p compliance as was Shure.

^ - what he said!!! :yes:
 
A few years ago, I bought a Grado Prestige Black P-Mount cartridge. I emailed Grado and asked them if they had the adapters and they responded and said they no longer manufactured them. I tried a "universal adapter" but it didn't work. I ended up tossing the cartridge and using the stylus in a Grado F3+ and it sounds great. I also have the Prestige Black that, using the same stylus, just didn't make the grade.

That was my experience.

Good Luck!
 
Not to mention whoever made the original Technics/Panasonic carts that came in that brand's tables, which are excellent carts IMHO.

I'm pretty sure that Technics made the cartridges sold under their brand name. I love my Technics 310-MC cartridge, and agree that they are excellent.
 
Not to mention whoever made the original Technics/Panasonic carts that came in that brand's tables, which are excellent carts IMHO.

Yep. I have a couple of them now with original styli on them, and both sound very good. I still want to try a SAS on one though!
 
OK - I pulled the Grado out of the trash can. Dug through a box of crap and actually found an adapter that will work with the d*mnable thing. So if I buy this for it:

http://www.lpgear.com/product/GRAMCZSTY.html

Who's gonna buy it from me when I still hate it?

Inquiring minds want to know..... ;)

Installing that stylus in a hi-out body will require reducing the input load.
Depending upon which body, the innards of the amplification devices, and the FR of your speakers will determine how much to lower the input.
 
Yes, it was - but so is the one that is already on the table! They must have had a couple different styles??

Only two that I know of. I have one that came with the V15LT that is open in the back, such that the tonearm/headshell leads would attach directly to the pins on the cartridge, like the Grado adapter. The V15LT was one of the earliest p-mount cartridges made by Shure.

The other six in my collection are all the same, other than a couple of them say "Realistic" instead of "Shure" on the top. I can find no difference in their height, but noe of them were purchased recently. Their only current p-mount cartridge, the M92E, doesn't have the plastic cap on top like several of their earlier p-mount offerings, so there is no longer the need for their adapter to be so tall. On the other hand, i don't see why they would go to the trouble of engineering new molds for a p-mount adapter now, when they one they have works perfectly fine with the M92E.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom