• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does Luxman L-210 give the Luxman "sound"?

KeithD

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
One for sale locally and am curious to try a Luxman, but I have no idea if this will give me the Luxman "sound" that many love, or do you need to have a "higher end" Luxman to hear their signature sound? Also curious if the build quality is on par with Luxman's reputation, or did they lower the standards for this series?

I've had Pioneer and Kenwood, which were nice, but ultimately settled on Sansui as my favorite brand/sound, so that's my background experience.
 
Register to hide this ad
Being a Luxman enthusiast, I have owned and listened to vintage Luxmans such as the R-10xx series receivers, Integrated amps such as the L-80V and Power amps such as the M-2000 which I still own.

The above mentioned were 70's era Luxman

I've had and have the R-115, little brother to the iconic R-117 and part of the R-11x series of receivers that were prevalent in the late 80's

The L-210 you mentioned is from their "Duo -Beta" series which if I'm not mistaken is from the late 70's early 80's and pre Alpine? I could be wrong though.

I've not listened to any from that series so can not offer a reply to your inquiry other then I would think it does offer the "sound" as my R-115 sounds great.

I did find this old thread that you might find interesting based on some of the replies with regards to the circuitry

 
Last edited:
A little Luxman goodness for you, interestingly there is no representation of the R-11x, LV series integrated or M-11x series Power amps

Luxman 80th poster.jpg
 
Last edited:
The L-210 you mentioned is from their "Duo -Beta" series which if I'm not mistaken is from the late 70's early 80's and pre Alpine? I could be wrong though.
That's my understanding as well. Pretty rare to find a Luxman locally, so it caught my attention when I saw it. Just not sure if it is a realistic representative of Luxman sound or if one should look for something else.
 
..if one should look for something else.

Hopefully someone will stop by who has or is familiar with that series. @Blue Shadow knows a thing or 3 about all sorts of Luxman maybe he'll stop by and share any insight.

Fwiw, if I stumbled on one and the price was reasonable I'd snag it up
 
@Blue Shadow knows a thing or 3 about all sorts of Luxman maybe he'll stop by and share any insight
Sold em for 4 years, LRS, LSS, R-receivers we like, early Duo-β and I like the gear having a reasonable list of serial numbers listed of ones I own or have owned. A decent memory and I’m good at spending time googling seems to help me spill the beans on Luxman gear.

The 210 shows up in the German 1983 full line catalog. Hans’ Luxman site shows 82-84 as years of availability and in the Luxman gear in detail section says late 80s which I believe is incorrect. That article says a lot about the unit and includes upgrades. For a 40wpc unit it should have the Lux sound.

Luxman Vintage Audio Website will get you started with the page of production dates and the page of links to gear in detail.
 
Last edited:
Sold em for 4 years, LRS, LSS, R-receivers we like, early Duo-β and I like the gear having a reasonable list of serial numbers listed of ones I own or have owned. A decent memory and I’m good at spending time googling seems to help me spill the beans on Luxman gear.

The 210 shows up in the German 1983 full line catalog. Hans’ Luxman site shows 82-84 as years of availability and in the Luxman gear in detail section says late 80s which I believe is incorrect. That article says a lot about the unit and includes upgrades. For a 40wpc unit it should have the Lux sound.

Luxman Vintage Audio Website will get you started with the page of production dates and the page of links to gear in detail.
Thanks, I think I stumbled on that website before. Also have seen the known issue with power to the indicator light going through a diode, which typically burns up. Should be able to do some basic testing before purchase, so I'll check it out.

I've done some searching on AK regarding this Luxman, but not a lot of info other than the known issue with the indicator light.
 
The L210 is from the same year Alpine joined Luxman and Duo Beta which has to do with feedback was invented. There is Alpine everywhere & everything in Luxman products produced up until 91. After this Luxman sound signature did change. Not for worse but different. Maybe a little dark.
 
The L210 is from the same year Alpine joined Luxman and Duo Beta which has to do with feedback was invented
This unit was a Luxman design based on release before the 1984 Alpine investment. Can’t say what Alpine’s involvement before that year was, nothing or helping, idk.

Maybe I need to have a Luxman Watts listening session. I’ve got ‘75 tube, ‘77 ss, ‘78 receiver, ‘80 receiver and ‘90 receiver. Sure would like to add some of their new stuff, maybe a CL-1000 and a nice amp.
 
It is a bit confusing about exactly when Alpine came into the picture. This is where I wish Luxman would have more published documented information about their history.
But in 1983 Alpine was already sharing their name on their product's with Luxman. In Japan it was Alpine Luxman together and in the US it was either Alpine or Luxman. Alpage Cassete became Alpine early 80s and then Luxman in 1983. The Luxman DX 103 CD player was also badged Alpine AD 7200 for 1983.

Now don't get me started with Toshiba's role lol
 
Back
Top Bottom