• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does my lowly 2220 convey the "Marantz sound" adequately?

tygr

Audiophoole
So I just bought a nice 2220 and am wondering if it really displays the sound quality of other early 70s Marantz receivers.

It sounds pretty good to my old ears, a little "softer" and a little less detailed than my big Class D Audio main amp. Not much difference in "tone" though. I thought the Marantz sound was supposed to be warmer than what I'm hearing. Is that true?

The 2220 is very clean, all the controls are crisp and clear and free of any noise, but other than that I don't really know it's history. I'm awaiting some word from the seller regarding that.

So does the 2220 normally represent the rest of the early 70s lineup?

Much thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
From my experience it represents the warmer earlier sound super well, and like a lot of the earlier Marantz it does a very fine job in establishing an illusion of headroom for normal listening levels.....to my tastes this is a big deal. Even though they can readily sound congested when pushed? Speaker pairing is king and I kinda get a twisted pleasure when these smaller guys kick some bigger offerings to the curb. (Good listening can have nothing to do with specs.)
 
I don't know The Marantz Sound as others do as I have only had a 2238B, 6320 (armless 6300) and now a recapped 1030.

That recapped 1030 sounds great. Excellent bass and overall a very pleasing sound and it is hooked up to lots of speaker and its 15 wpc is fine within reasons.
 
Back
Top Bottom