• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does this seem "kosher" to you?

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
I was just cruising ebay looking at (what else) audio gear. I came across this CD player so I went to the blue book to check it out. The seller says its brand new. The book says it was made between 1992-1998 so I emailed the seller to ask him. He tells me its actually 8-10 yrs old but its never been out of the box. Does this seem right to you? Doesn't his description leave a little to be desired?


Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
Actually, if it hasn't been used, I don't have an issue with the "NIB" listing. I checked out his other auctions because I was curious about that JBL carton he had in the background. Lots of rims/wheels and a good deal of stereo stuff. Did see a "Dragon" box with a big "N" on it too but no auction.
I don't recognize much of these stereo stuff, it's too new, but $460 for the CD and $260 for a Yammie KX-430 cassette seem very optimistic. Looks to me like he found some old warehouse of stuff. Either that or he's a BS counterfeiter.
 
He claims that he's a store and this is old stock but no audio dealer I know holds a unit for 8 yrs or more before unloading it. This player cost $700 when new but it's blue book retail is only $150. IMHO there's no way on God's green earth he gets anything close to $460.

Mike
 
Digital equipment doesn't hold value. 10+ year old technology? Even if NIB - Good luck. MikE
 
I just checked other auctions for a valuation; he's the only one. this is the third time he's run the auction,
Oh well, I guess all it takes is one schmuck with more money than brains.
 
Originally posted by MikE
Digital equipment doesn't hold value. 10+ year old technology? Even if NIB - Good luck. MikE

You're right Mike, why would anyone spend $460 on an old CD player when that same $460 would get you a new one that would perform much better and cover more media such as CDR, CDRW, DVD, DVDA, SACD etc. Unless you get some nutjob just yearning for that certain piece :confused:
 
IIRC those were rather nice players, and I'd hazard better-sounding than most new budget players, but it isn't worth anything close to $460.

I have a Denon DCD-1560 I bought new in '92, and I don't think I could touch it with anything made today under $600...the Yammies of the late 80's/early 90's would likely fall into a similar category.

This one is a handsome little player...

TP
 
Back
Top Bottom